sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2019 12:44 pm  #1

Super Bowl-Simsub And Interesting Prop Bets

I haven't seen anything for some time about the SuperBowl simsub issue. Are we cable/Satellite subscribers going to have access to the CBS telecast of the game or will we be subjected to the CTV version with the same four ads and five network promos run ad nauseam for three hours.                                                                                                 Probably, most of you don't wager money on the game. There are some interesting prop bets available this year. Yes, there are the usual ones. Time of the National Anthem to be sung, over/under 1:45. Coin toss, Colour of Gatorade to be dumped on the winning coach etc. Here are some of the more interesting possible bets. Will a player take a knee during the anthem? Commercials broadcast during the game. Over/Under 96. How many Donald Trump tweets on Feb 3rd. Over/under 6. Which will be higher at the end of the game. Trump's approval rating[from Rasmussen] or the yardage of the longest field goal made. What will the Super Bowl MVP mention first in his post game speech. Teammates/God/City/Coach/Owner/Family/Nobody

January 25, 2019 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Super Bowl-Simsub And Interesting Prop Bets

Maybe you should make a prop bet on whether Canadians will be able to watch the U.S. feed!

It's a confusing mess, but the latest info I could find appears to indicate that the answer is we will. In a thread here last year, I originally posted a story that said the new USMCA Free Trade Agreement would allow CTV to block the American feed on cable/satellite.  

But then, about a month later, a new wrinkle emerged - because the Act hadn't actually been officially passed into law by all sides yet, it appears the old rules may still apply. Which means we should be seeing the American feed on this side of the border after all.

So what happens in February? I guess we'll see. But what we'll see is the issue. As far as I know, nothing's changed. And despite Bell and the NFL's best efforts (and unless there's a sudden court ruling or edict) it looks like there will be no simsub this year, either. 

Financial Post. Nov. 12, 2018: Canadians will still be watching American Super Bowl ads after CRTC refuses to change policy despite USMCA deal