sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2018 9:13 am  #1

CHFI & Boom Top Summer Ratings, As CHUM-FM Continues To Fade

I always heard summer ratings weren’t as important as those conducted the rest of the year, although I’ve never figured out why – ears are ears and they all count no matter when they’re listening. With that in mind, Numeris has released the numbers taken between May 28 and August 26, and there aren’t a lot of real surprises.

CHFI continues its reign as the #1 station in Toronto, a trend that seems to be endless. But who says Oldies don’t work in this city – it would seem to depend on what era. Boom-FM continues to come in a strong second, followed by CBC Radio 1. All got a 10 share or higher and no one else even comes close.

In the talk wars, CFRB still outshines its Corus competitor by a wide margin. Classical 96.3 now beats CHUM-FM, and the Blue Jays' lousy season appears to have taken a toll on The Fan. And TSN 1050? You can hire a hall and get more people in it. 

You can see the numbers here.

September 7, 2018 9:38 am  #2

Re: CHFI & Boom Top Summer Ratings, As CHUM-FM Continues To Fade

Not in sales, so I'm curious about a couple of things...

i) when a client is buying a series of spots or a campaign, is there any wiggle on the quoted rate? I know that there is a rate and it would be higher for peak listening hours like morning or afternoon drives. Do sales people have the ability to sell under the rate card by a small amount to get or keep a client?

ii) How many clients come back for an adjustment or credit if audiences / ratings are not being delivered?  Example, a client buys a campaign for the summer. Rates are based on the most recent rate card, presumably from the spring sweeps. But, a summer report comes out like this, and the station that the client has purchased commercial time on has dropped in the ratings.  Can the client go back to the station and ask for a refund or credit reflecting the lower performance?

September 7, 2018 11:14 am  #3

Just some things to note...  in PPM, no one looks, not even the clients at the 12+ numbers.    They look at the station target demos and how they scored.   So for CHUM FM, you would want to look at the 25-54 Female demo, and how they did there.  12+ doesn't tell you anything, other than how a stations scored overall in a market.   If everyone is 65+, as a client that targets 25- 54 year olds, that's not a selling point. 

As well, this book I think feel before CHUM made the shift, to the new brand and slightly adjusted music.  It will be interesting to see how they do in this upcoming book to see if this was all for nothing, or if people cared.

September 7, 2018 12:18 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I always heard summer ratings weren’t as important as those conducted the rest of the year, although I’ve never figured out why – ears are ears and they all count no matter when they’re listening. With that in mind, Numeris has released the numbers taken between May 28 and August 26, and there aren’t a lot of real surprises.

CHFI continues its reign as the #1 station in Toronto, a trend that seems to be endless. But who says Oldies don’t work in this city – it would seem to depend on what era. Boom-FM continues to come in a strong second, followed by CBC Radio 1. All got a 10 share or higher and no one else even comes close.

In the talk wars, CFRB still outshines its Corus competitor by a wide margin. Classical 96.3 now beats CHUM-FM, and the Blue Jays' lousy season appears to have taken a toll on The Fan. And TSN 1050? You can hire a hall and get more people in it. 

You can see the numbers here.

As long as a station is playing "they dont make music like that anymore" i.e 80s, 90s you'll be up there.

As for CHUM, their little "tweak" (I cant call it a rebrand) is better and their ads all over town might help them. 

Last edited by markow202 (September 7, 2018 12:20 pm)

September 7, 2018 12:59 pm  #5

Interesting situation the Toronto market is in.
CHFI may be on top, but CKIS (Kiss 92) is way below Virgin radio.
Meanwhile, Virgin radio may be doing well but sister staion CHUM is not doing well at all.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2018 1:20 pm  #6

They should have kept Ingrid Schumacher! 

September 7, 2018 1:22 pm  #7

Bell had to divest itself of some of its radio stations after it took over Astral in that infamous deal in 2013. And CHBM aka Boom 97.3 was one of them. They kept CKFM (Virgin Radio 99.9) instead. Now Boom is second in the market and appears to be surging with each book. And while Virgin is competitive, it certainly isn't vying for the lead in the city. 

I wonder if Bell ever regrets choosing that station (along with what was then called Flow 95.3) as one of the properties it sold to Newcap?

September 7, 2018 1:23 pm  #8

For CHUM, would it also be because they play more music than commercials? It is based on revenue or tuning? And how are these established anyways? Using a meter?

September 7, 2018 7:13 pm  #9

Chuck99 wrote:

Eventually, we may see a format change at 102.1 The Edge.  

A change? As in a switch to one of their cookie cutters? Or something brand new? 
In Edmonton they did not restore the name Joe FM when they chose to terminate Fresh FM.
Instead, it's the all new CHUCK FM. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 7, 2018 7:48 pm)

September 7, 2018 8:02 pm  #10

Can CKNT beat CINA's 0.8% share for Mississauga supremacy in the next set of ratings?

September 7, 2018 9:11 pm  #11

It's encouraging to see CFRB and CFTR (both AM stations) appear to be holding their own against the FM outlets. Must have something to do with content as opposed to the superior fidelity of FM.

I've said this before. Despite being free of commercials, I am still puzzled by how well the CBC does with its bland, boring, unimaginative, unentertaining, dreary politically slanted content.

September 8, 2018 11:12 am  #12

Chuck99 wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

Eventually, we may see a format change at 102.1 The Edge.  

I agree.  A different format would likely be a re-cycled one.  But in the long term, I would still be surprised if there are two Alt-Rock stations in Toronto because of a shrinking demographic.

While we're thinking of "oldies" why not try "Classic Alternative" starting with the punk/new wave of the late 70's to the end of the 90's? A few years ago when EDGE had Spirit of Radio Sunday the numbers for that time slot were quite good. Like their brother station Q107, EDGE could easily capitalize on their heritage and develop that format. (As an aside, I don't care how Q is trying to spin it, they're still around 80% plus classic rock.)

September 8, 2018 12:21 pm  #13

kevjo wrote:

(As an aside, I don't care how Q is trying to spin it, they're still around 80% plus classic rock.)

I'm finding no shortage of people who would rather hear the Wolf rock playlist than hear the Q107 Big FM playlist.
They might not know Q is playing the Big FM playlist but they do want Peterborough's Wolf FM (playlist) in Toronto.