Offline
This isn't a long list. It's my brief look at the shows I never miss on local radio and those I will do anything to avoid. I invite yours.
THE MUST HEARS:
Under The Influence (CBC Radio): A show about media and advertising, it's one of the only shows I try never to miss on either Thursday or Saturday. I don't think the new episodes start until January.
Tom Korski from Blacklocks Reporter (CKTB 9:15AM & CFRB 11:30 AM, Thursdays): Yes, he leans a bit towards the right, but I find his stories of government waste and scandal to be absolutely hilarious, delivered in a very entertaining way. They also find stories no one else does.
Touchdowns & Fumbles (CFRB Friday morning): The longest running feature in Toronto private radio. Bob Reid looks at the stories of the week and decides which scored and which failed.
Mulcair Mondays (CFRB Mondays, 6:55 AM): I'm not a NDP voter, per se, but I really enjoy Thomas Mulcair's insights on political issues. The guy's very knowledgeable about how the system works, and he's been there. I always thought the party gave up on him way too soon.
The Roundtable (CFRB 7:45 & 8:45 AM, Weekdays): As long as they keep shuffling the "experts" commenting on the current issues, I'll keep coming back. It's only about 13 minutes long, but for some reason - depending on who's on the panel - I enjoy it.
MUST MISS
The Last Show (Weeknights AM640): I will do almost anything I can to avoid this awful waste of airtime. The subjects are too often the kind of touchy-feely relationship advice that makes my skin crawl. Worse than the Spence Diamond commercials, which at least only run one minute!
HIT & MISS
These are shows I'll listen to if I'm near a radio, but won't rush to hear.
WEEKENDS WITH ROB FAI (Weekend mornings, AM640): It's really the only thing on Saturday and Sunday mornings that isn't a rerun or news. But there's not enough current headlines for my taste, so when he launches into something about relationships or gardening, I'm gone.
THE JAYS (The Fan590, Various Times): I'm a baseball fan and I like the Jays, but the way they've been playing this year has cooled my need to listen to every game. If I'm out walking the dog, I'll tune in. If they play well, I might continue. If not, I have other things to do at night that won't aggravate me anywhere near as much.
Offline
Your 'must hears' are mostly segments rather than shows, and Under the Influence is indeed a good one.
Offline
Here's my list, warning, some are religious, and, i like some ethnic shows for the music.
1: Jerry agar.
2: ben mulrony on AM 640.
3: The national crawford roundtable on wdcx.
4: Ravna gora serbian show for the nice accordion music and there traditional instruments.
5: Fight back with libby znaimer.
6: Theater of the mind.
7: A show I stream from moody radio, In the market with janet parsial if I'm spelling that corectly.
8: The irish program on Chin 1540 and also the croatian program, Irish for the music and my haratage, croatian for the music and they speak some english, so you get to learn about music in another language.
9: A little breth of scottland, now only on mixcloud, I used to try to tune in every sunday on am 740.
Not as much as there used to be.
I'de never miss the mauts, the john donabe show, tarik fata, or sounds of yugoslavia with mike milicevic, or franky benson's irish program on 740.
And 1 I used to sleep to when I was a kid, lovers and other strangers.
And 1 I wish the evanovs kepped, the lounge and the instrumentals show.
Last edited by Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 (September 8, 2026 2:25 pm)
Offline
Chrisphen wrote:
Your 'must hears' are mostly segments rather than shows, and Under the Influence is indeed a good one.
Out of segments, I love the blacklocks report.
Offline
Chrisphen wrote:
Your 'must hears' are mostly segments rather than shows, and Under the Influence is indeed a good one.
Technically true, but I consider them mini-shows and make sure I tune in when those segments are on.
Offline
I don't really have any must hear or must skips. However shows I will listen to if they are on when in the car and depending on the topic or music. In no real order..
Cross Country Check Up
70's at 7 on either BOOM or Zoomer or both
Vassy Kapeloss
Ben Mulroney
80's at 8 Zoomer
Q
End of John Moore and start of Bill Carroll
Afternoon and some weekend programming on CKTB from time to time
Since the demise of CHML and Newstalk 570, I haven't been listening to AM talk radio nearly as often. Also I have been listening to more of Canada Talks and NPR on Sirius XM.
Last edited by paterson1 (September 8, 2026 3:58 pm)
Offline
Here is the list of radio shows I enjoy:
Moore in the Morning (CFRB): Usually have this on when getting my day started, enjoy the Round Tables and regular pundits like Scott Reid, Tom Mulcair and the likes. Also like the “Five Things You Need to Know”.
Bill Carroll (CFRB): Sometimes catch this show weekday mornings after Moore. Relatively new to me but I’ve enjoyed it so far!
Fight Back (AM740): if I’m near a radio weekdays at noon, I will tune in, although it can be hit or miss, depending on the topic and guests, like many shows I guess!
Vintage Favourites (AM740): Gene Stevens hosts and produces this weekly show and does a great job! It is well researched and presented Sundays starting at 2pm.
Cross Country Check Up (CBC): I quite often will catch the full two hours, unless I have to BBQ!
Under The Influence (CBC): possibly one of the best shows on radio, dealing with advertising “through the ages”!
BLUZ-FM with Danny Marks (JazzFM91): I usually tune in as I am winding down on Saturday evenings. Marks is a great host and knows his stuff, great blues and rarities!
Sunday Morning Trivia (CFRB): Jason Agnew does a decent job of putting this 3 hour quiz show together, I have even won before!
Big Band Sunday Night (AM740): if you enjoy big band music, this is a solid five hours of it, hosted by Dean Hollin who knows his stuff and has a huge archive by the sounds of it!
The British Invasion (AM740): Robbie Lane hosts this shows Saturdays at 6pm, usually well programmed by a knowledgeable host!
The Weather (CBC): It’s not so much a show, but the woman who does the weather 8pm weekdays has a great voice!
There is also a lot of radio I don’t care for, like most people, what can you do?
Last edited by Shorty Wave (September 11, 2026 8:17 am)
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
Here is the list of radio shows I enjoy:
Moore in the Morning (CFRB): Usually have this on when getting my day started, enjoy the Round Tables and regular pundits like Scott Reid, Tom Mulcair and the likes. Also like the “Five Things You Need to Know”.
Bill Carroll (CFRB): Sometimes catch this show weekday mornings after Moore. Relatively new to me but I’ve enjoyed it so far!
Fight Back (AM740): if I’m near a radio weekdays at noon, I will tune in, although it can be hit or miss, depending on the topic and guests, like many shows I guess!
Vintage Favourites (AM740): Gene Stevens hosts and produces this weekly show and does a great job! It is well researched and presented Sundays starting at 2pm.
Cross Country Check Up (CBC): I quite often will catch the full two hours, unless I have to BBQ!
Under The Influence (CBC): possibly one of the best shows on radio, dealing with advertising “through the ages”!
BLUZ-FM with Danny Marks (JazzFM91): I usually tune in as I am winding down on Saturday evenings. Marks is a great host and knows his stuff, great blues and rarities!
Sunday Morning Trivia (CFRB): Jason Agnew does a decent job of putting this 3 hour quiz show together, I have even won before!
Big Band Sunday Night (AM740): if you enjoy big band music, this is a solid five hours of it, hosted by Dean Hollin who knows his stuff and has a huge archive by the sounds of it!
The British Invasion (AM740): Robbie Lane hosts this shows Saturdays at 6pm, usually well programmed by a knowledgeable host!
The Weather (CBC): It’s not so much a show, but the woman who does the weather 8pm weekdays has a great voice!
There is also a lot of radio I don’t care for, like most people, what can you do?
Radio 1 still has some good shows, and the lady who does the weather on there is calming unlike on 1010 who overexadurates about how hot it is outside.
Offline
I tend to listen to a lot of music shows, I don't really enjoy talk radio unless it's sports, so I usually tune into the hockey show that's on at noon on 590. Otherwise I like things like the Weekend Cafe and The Electric Ballroom on Indie 88. Ongoing History as well as Records and Rockstars are good music based talk shows.
Also the Ed The Sock show is good too. Mix of conversation and music.
Another show I enjoy that is not on AM or FM is Howard Stern. I still listen once or twice a week, when I can
Offline
brian451 wrote:
I tend to listen to a lot of music shows, I don't really enjoy talk radio unless it's sports, so I usually tune into the hockey show that's on at noon on 590. Otherwise I like things like the Weekend Cafe and The Electric Ballroom on Indie 88. Ongoing History as well as Records and Rockstars are good music based talk shows.
Also the Ed The Sock show is good too. Mix of conversation and music.
Another show I enjoy that is not on AM or FM is Howard Stern. I still listen once or twice a week, when I can
brian451, you might have heard that Stern is down to one live show a week and has a new deal with HBO:-
“….the radio host's show will air one new live broadcast every Monday instead of two a week when it returns on air on September 14. Then HBO Max will release a filmed version of the three-hour radio show on Thursdays starting September 17”.
This info is in a couple of articles online. He’s 72, so not surprised he’s winding it down a bit!
Offline
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
Here's my list, warning, some are religious, and, i like some ethnic shows for the music.
1: Jerry agar.
2: ben mulrony on AM 640.
3: The national crawford roundtable on wdcx.
4: Ravna gora serbian show for the nice accordion music and there traditional instruments.
5: Fight back with libby znaimer.
6: Theater of the mind.
7: A show I stream from moody radio, In the market with janet parsial if I'm spelling that corectly.
8: The irish program on Chin 1540 and also the croatian program, Irish for the music and my haratage, croatian for the music and they speak some english, so you get to learn about music in another language.
9: A little breth of scottland, now only on mixcloud, I used to try to tune in every sunday on am 740.
Not as much as there used to be.
I'de never miss the mauts, the john donabe show, tarik fata, or sounds of yugoslavia with mike milicevic, or franky benson's irish program on 740.
And 1 I used to sleep to when I was a kid, lovers and other strangers.
And 1 I wish the evanovs kepped, the lounge and the instrumentals show.
CKLU out of Sudbury broadcasts a Scottish music show Wednesday 's around noon, and repeated Friday. It's two hours, the announcer is very Scottish, I find it hard to understand him at times, but my Nova Scotia heritage has me enjoying the music. I remember my uncle in Cape Breton along with other guys playing the old traditional songs around the wood stove when we visited as a kid with my family. You can find it online. There might be archived shows as well.
Offline
Weekday mornings (prior to commute): Metro Morning
Weekday mornings (commute): Metro Morning or John Moore if it's tolerable, with occasional checks of 680 for traffic.
Weekdays at woik: When I have time, podcasts or KEXP's stream.
Weekdays drive home: Corpse Radio 1, 680 for traffic, or the awesome tunes on my USB stick. Except on Fridays - CIUT has the most effective drive time show on the local airwaves with Unknown Pleasures. Loud angry music is required to dissipate the Stupid that emanates from other area drivers. The Waveform is also good, but Tuesdays are a different matter.
Weekday evenings: podcasts, shortwave.
Weekends: Mostly NPR programs - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, On the Media, Radiolab, This American Life (only if it doesn't feature dead kids...which is rare), KEXP or WFMU streams, and shortwave if nothing else does it.
Offline
Chrisphen wrote:
Weekday mornings (prior to commute): Metro Morning
Weekday mornings (commute): Metro Morning or John Moore if it's tolerable, with occasional checks of 680 for traffic.
Weekdays at woik: When I have time, podcasts or KEXP's stream.
Weekdays drive home: Corpse Radio 1, 680 for traffic, or the awesome tunes on my USB stick. Except on Fridays - CIUT has the most effective drive time show on the local airwaves with Unknown Pleasures. Loud angry music is required to dissipate the Stupid that emanates from other area drivers. The Waveform is also good, but Tuesdays are a different matter.
Weekday evenings: podcasts, shortwave.
Weekends: Mostly NPR programs - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, On the Media, Radiolab, This American Life (only if it doesn't feature dead kids...which is rare), KEXP or WFMU streams, and shortwave if nothing else does it.
I can tell your a disconnected leftie who rarely listens to real talk radio on 1010.
Offline
mic'em wrote:
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
Here's my list, warning, some are religious, and, i like some ethnic shows for the music.
1: Jerry agar.
2: ben mulrony on AM 640.
3: The national crawford roundtable on wdcx.
4: Ravna gora serbian show for the nice accordion music and there traditional instruments.
5: Fight back with libby znaimer.
6: Theater of the mind.
7: A show I stream from moody radio, In the market with janet parsial if I'm spelling that corectly.
8: The irish program on Chin 1540 and also the croatian program, Irish for the music and my haratage, croatian for the music and they speak some english, so you get to learn about music in another language.
9: A little breth of scottland, now only on mixcloud, I used to try to tune in every sunday on am 740.
Not as much as there used to be.
I'de never miss the mauts, the john donabe show, tarik fata, or sounds of yugoslavia with mike milicevic, or franky benson's irish program on 740.
And 1 I used to sleep to when I was a kid, lovers and other strangers.
And 1 I wish the evanovs kepped, the lounge and the instrumentals show.CKLU out of Sudbury broadcasts a Scottish music show Wednesday 's around noon, and repeated Friday. It's two hours, the announcer is very Scottish, I find it hard to understand him at times, but my Nova Scotia heritage has me enjoying the music. I remember my uncle in Cape Breton along with other guys playing the old traditional songs around the wood stove when we visited as a kid with my family. You can find it online. There might be archived shows as well.
Did'nt know there's still scotish shows on canadian radio.
The coast in cape bretton has an east coast traditional music show on sunday afternoon.
And for 24/7 east coast and celtic, my gotos are stingray music's online channels such as celtic, Canada east coast roadtrip, and maritime folk, and an online station called cb fm.
Also, ckwr's newfie show has a 24/7 station on live365 playing only newfie music.
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
brian451 wrote:
I tend to listen to a lot of music shows, I don't really enjoy talk radio unless it's sports, so I usually tune into the hockey show that's on at noon on 590. Otherwise I like things like the Weekend Cafe and The Electric Ballroom on Indie 88. Ongoing History as well as Records and Rockstars are good music based talk shows.
Also the Ed The Sock show is good too. Mix of conversation and music.
Another show I enjoy that is not on AM or FM is Howard Stern. I still listen once or twice a week, when I can
brian451, you might have heard that Stern is down to one live show a week and has a new deal with HBO:-
“….the radio host's show will air one new live broadcast every Monday instead of two a week when it returns on air on September 14. Then HBO Max will release a filmed version of the three-hour radio show on Thursdays starting September 17”.
This info is in a couple of articles online. He’s 72, so not surprised he’s winding it down a bit!
I was never a fan but, I am curious, is stern still on siriousxm?
He only has 1 channel now.
I liked our Canadian shockjocks way better and I liked the 1 on iheart called rover.
Offline
When I lived in the 9-5 world, if traffic on the 401 was extremely bad on the drive home, I would listen to WNED, It seemed to make the traffic move a bit faster. After an hour of 94.5, going to CHFI sounded like head banger music to me.
Offline
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
Chrisphen wrote:
Weekday mornings (prior to commute): Metro Morning
Weekday mornings (commute): Metro Morning or John Moore if it's tolerable, with occasional checks of 680 for traffic.
Weekdays at woik: When I have time, podcasts or KEXP's stream.
Weekdays drive home: Corpse Radio 1, 680 for traffic, or the awesome tunes on my USB stick. Except on Fridays - CIUT has the most effective drive time show on the local airwaves with Unknown Pleasures. Loud angry music is required to dissipate the Stupid that emanates from other area drivers. The Waveform is also good, but Tuesdays are a different matter.
Weekday evenings: podcasts, shortwave.
Weekends: Mostly NPR programs - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, On the Media, Radiolab, This American Life (only if it doesn't feature dead kids...which is rare), KEXP or WFMU streams, and shortwave if nothing else does it.I can tell your a disconnected leftie who rarely listens to real talk radio on 1010.
Scarboroughbluffsradio99, I’d be a bit more selective about being judgy if I were you. Nobody here is perfect. Just read your own post from time to time for example, I could go to town on some of them. So treat others here as you are actually treated, with respect and tolerance. Thanks.
Online!
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
The coast in cape bretton has an east coast traditional music show on sunday afternoon.
And for 24/7 east coast and celtic, my gotos are stingray music's online channels such as celtic, Canada east coast roadtrip, and maritime folk, and an online station called cb fm.
Also, ckwr's newfie show has a 24/7 station on live365 playing only newfie music.
Lately I, an English Canadian with some small-town Anglo-Quebecer roots, listen to over 90% Francophone music.
If you’re interested in great Canadian music, and a lot with heavy “neo-trad” roots influence including Celtic influence, there’s so much material there. You don’t need to understand every word or even most to enjoy and appreciate.
Stingray Music’s Francophone channels have been really useful crash courses.
Note to Stingray if you’re reading this: Please s'il vous plaît give us an Acadian and Atlantic Canadian Francophone artists channel (Lisa LeBlanc, Salebarbes, Les Hay Babies, Caroline Savoie, Sylvie Boulianne, Serena Wu, Moustache Rodéo, and classic artists like 1755 and Annie Blanchard, etc.) and a Franco Canadian artists with roots from outside Quebec channel (the above plus Les Rats d’Swompe, Céleste Lévis, Reney Ray, Ponteix, and classic artists like CANO, etc.) Incredible scenes right now, stacked with talent and material.
Last edited by Jonathan W (September 14, 2026 8:42 am)
Offline
I enjoy Robbie Lane's shows on 740....and the Celebrity Spotlights with Larry Jackson are favourites for me.
Also, Gene Stevens, with his Sunday afternoon program is great
It is interesting that, through the day, 740 plays a wide variety of music, right up to some more current artists..
The station has evolved in the last 25 years, and I hope they continue to have success.
Offline

Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
Chrisphen wrote:
Weekday mornings (prior to commute): Metro Morning
Weekday mornings (commute): Metro Morning or John Moore if it's tolerable, with occasional checks of 680 for traffic.
Weekdays at woik: When I have time, podcasts or KEXP's stream.
Weekdays drive home: Corpse Radio 1, 680 for traffic, or the awesome tunes on my USB stick. Except on Fridays - CIUT has the most effective drive time show on the local airwaves with Unknown Pleasures. Loud angry music is required to dissipate the Stupid that emanates from other area drivers. The Waveform is also good, but Tuesdays are a different matter.
Weekday evenings: podcasts, shortwave.
Weekends: Mostly NPR programs - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, On the Media, Radiolab, This American Life (only if it doesn't feature dead kids...which is rare), KEXP or WFMU streams, and shortwave if nothing else does it.I can tell your a disconnected leftie who rarely listens to real talk radio on 1010.
I hope that was a joke " disconnected" after he listed multiple and varied sources, come on.
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
brian451 wrote:
I tend to listen to a lot of music shows, I don't really enjoy talk radio unless it's sports, so I usually tune into the hockey show that's on at noon on 590. Otherwise I like things like the Weekend Cafe and The Electric Ballroom on Indie 88. Ongoing History as well as Records and Rockstars are good music based talk shows.
Also the Ed The Sock show is good too. Mix of conversation and music.
Another show I enjoy that is not on AM or FM is Howard Stern. I still listen once or twice a week, when I can
brian451, you might have heard that Stern is down to one live show a week and has a new deal with HBO:-
“….the radio host's show will air one new live broadcast every Monday instead of two a week when it returns on air on September 14. Then HBO Max will release a filmed version of the three-hour radio show on Thursdays starting September 17”.
This info is in a couple of articles online. He’s 72, so not surprised he’s winding it down a bit!
I had heard that. I usually listen to the replay of the show anyways, almost never live.
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
Chrisphen wrote:
Weekday mornings (prior to commute): Metro Morning
Weekday mornings (commute): Metro Morning or John Moore if it's tolerable, with occasional checks of 680 for traffic.
Weekdays at woik: When I have time, podcasts or KEXP's stream.
Weekdays drive home: Corpse Radio 1, 680 for traffic, or the awesome tunes on my USB stick. Except on Fridays - CIUT has the most effective drive time show on the local airwaves with Unknown Pleasures. Loud angry music is required to dissipate the Stupid that emanates from other area drivers. The Waveform is also good, but Tuesdays are a different matter.
Weekday evenings: podcasts, shortwave.
Weekends: Mostly NPR programs - Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, On the Media, Radiolab, This American Life (only if it doesn't feature dead kids...which is rare), KEXP or WFMU streams, and shortwave if nothing else does it.I can tell your a disconnected leftie who rarely listens to real talk radio on 1010.
Scarboroughbluffsradio99, I’d be a bit more selective about being judgy if I were you. Nobody here is perfect. Just read your own post from time to time for example, I could go to town on some of them. So treat others here as you are actually treated, with respect and tolerance. Thanks.
Thank you Shorty.
And you are way more diplomatic than I was about to be.
Almost every 'media quote' from this person refers to political leanings...right...left..Muslims.. Jews..etc.
I wish he would filter himself.
It takes away from what this forum is about.
Last edited by RayDeeOh (September 14, 2026 12:03 pm)
Offline
Agreed. Keep the politics and the religion away from here. It would be appreciated. There are plenty of other places to express these feelings if you have them. It has nothing to do with radio or TV.
Offline
What I listen to on my commute really depends on what is happening. If the weather is bad, or a major traffic issue that involves the roads that I use, its 680. For short political commentary I use 1010. For the Ontario or Federal budget I use CBC Radio 1. This is normally a 1 hour radio special between 4pm and 5pm.
If I am in the car and one of the Toronto teams is playing I will listen to 1050 or 590.
After that I will use the time with Podcasts or Audio Books.
Offline
gch wrote:
I enjoy Robbie Lane's shows on 740....and the Celebrity Spotlights with Larry Jackson are favourites for me.
Also, Gene Stevens, with his Sunday afternoon program is great
It is interesting that, through the day, 740 plays a wide variety of music, right up to some more current artists..
The station has evolved in the last 25 years, and I hope they continue to have success.
Good picks gch. I think that AM740 puts the work in still with Gene Stevens, Larry Jackson, Dean Hollin and the likes, as there is some great research with their programs, and great music of course! It reminds me of how radio once was, and that’s not bad!
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
gch wrote:
I enjoy Robbie Lane's shows on 740....and the Celebrity Spotlights with Larry Jackson are favourites for me.
Also, Gene Stevens, with his Sunday afternoon program is great
It is interesting that, through the day, 740 plays a wide variety of music, right up to some more current artists..
The station has evolved in the last 25 years, and I hope they continue to have success.
Good picks gch. I think that AM740 puts the work in still with Gene Stevens, Larry Jackson, Dean Hollin and the likes, as there is some great research with their programs, and great music of course! It reminds me of how radio once was, and that’s not bad!
Love 740.
Before CKWR changed formats, it was almost a commercial version of CKWR.
I just wish CKWR went back to its old format.