sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2024 8:50 am  #1

Kitchener stations moving to Guelph???

I've seen some cryptic messsages on Facebook suggesting that Kitchener's 91.5 The Beat and 107.5 Dave Rocks are moving into the Guelph building where Magic 106.1 and 1460 CJOY are located and that CJOY will just be a box in the computer rack (which it seems to be already from posts on here).

I suppose Corus owns the building in Guelph while leasing space for the two Kitchener stations so it would save some cash but does anyone know if it's true or just speculation? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. 

July 11, 2024 9:26 am  #2

Re: Kitchener stations moving to Guelph???

It wouldn't be a surprise.  CJOY/Magic's building is pretty big, and could easily accomodate two more stations.  The building itself was constructed in 1972.  In the day CJOY and CKLA had excellent studios and equipment. 

July 11, 2024 10:06 am  #3

This won't be the first move for DaveFM. They started out as CKGR then CFTJ on 1110 as a dawn to dusker in Galt.

July 11, 2024 10:07 am  #4

I also see occasional rumours on this board anticipating CJOY's demise ...

July 11, 2024 10:38 am  #5

Thinking back to when I worked there in the 80s, they would definitely have enough space to do this today with the original tech and not be the least bit cramped.

Back then, the AM side had a full on-air studio and a production studio.  The FM side had It's own production studio, a full on-air studio and the automation room with an announce room that could be run indepenently. 

That place was downright roomy.  With today's tech, this could be easily done.

July 11, 2024 11:17 am  #6

Surprised Magic's 106.1 signal doesnt come into the GTA a bit better but that could be because of escarpment and their tower isnt even on a hill. 

July 11, 2024 12:03 pm  #7

A laptop in a closet is a sad end to CJOY.  Worked there briefly in the 1980’s as a weekend action van reporter with a lot of good people on staff.  From what I’ve read the Chorus owners are absentee landlords.