sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2024 11:13 am  #1

Is This The Only Cdn. Stn. Still Giving Temperatures In Fahrenheit?

Someone in Windsor may be able to answer this question. I tuned in to CKLW late last month, to hear Lisa Williams give her final thank you as she retired after decades in the biz. And I heard a newscast giving the temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. 

It was so unusual to hear that again that it stood out to me. We used to do that when the changeover was first made and I even recall Harold Hosein on City TV giving out both scales for a time when he was there. But I have to say I haven't heard it anywhere else - not even on CKTB, which borders Buffalo - in a very long time. 

Are there are any near-border stations still doing this or is CKLW the last man standing? What do they do on WLYK-FM, the New York state station targeting Kingston? Does anyone else still give out temperatures in both scales?

The Day Canadian Weather Went Celsius

June 9, 2024 11:27 am  #2

Re: Is This The Only Cdn. Stn. Still Giving Temperatures In Fahrenheit?

When I was pitching a sponsored weather segment to an Ontario station in the Thousand Islands/St. Lawrence Valley, one of the four or five locations mentioned for "current temperatures" was Watertown, NY. The temp for that city would always be on the Fahrenheit scale, while the locations on the Ontario side of the St. Lawrence would still be Celsius.

Years ago, when the late Bob McIntyre was still on Barrie's CKVR, he continued to do temps on both scales, possibly even into the "New VR" era. I also recall a news anchor on Lindsay's CKLY still using both scales in the late '90s, and on one occasion referring to the Fahrenheit scale as "real degrees." 

June 9, 2024 11:42 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

What do they do on WLYK-FM, the New York state station targeting Kingston? 
The Day Canadian Weather Went Celsius

The A.I. weather-bot gives the temperature in celsius only.

June 9, 2024 12:48 pm  #4

There is someone who only provides temperature in Farenheit. Lori Harris of The Great Country Legends Show on CKRZ-FM 100.3 Thursday nights 7-9pm. She's good humoured about it too, calling farenheit 'the he-man scale'.

June 9, 2024 2:10 pm  #5

When Canada moved to metric on April 1, 1975 there was no law that said that broadcasters had to start giving temperatures in celcius at all or in both fahrenheit and celcius. Almost all did soon after because this was the way the country was moving, and to introduce celcius temperatures gradually in the forecasts.   

When I started working at my first radio station in Thunder Bay in March 1977, both CKPR AM and CJSD FM were still doing temperatures only in fahrenheit.  All other stations in town were doing both and within a few years only celcius. 

When I asked why we were doing the temps only in fahrenheit, I was told that owner thought it was unecessary and that there was no law that said broadcasters were bound to use metric on air.  When I left the station late November 1979, the temps were still only farenheit.  Apparently CKPR/CJSD did do both at some point in the early 80's.  I can't remember what CKPR and CHFD TV were doing. 

Last edited by paterson1 (June 9, 2024 4:44 pm)

June 9, 2024 4:48 pm  #6

IIRC, AM 740's newscaster in the afternoon gives the temperature in C and F.

June 10, 2024 2:02 am  #7

It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Sarnia, but I recall K106 and CHOK giving the temperature in both C and F.

June 10, 2024 8:08 am  #8

To this day, I still have no use for the metric system. 2.5cm=1inch. We are getting 5-10 cm of snow. Oh 2-4 inches. I'm good. I have memorized key temperatures. 10C=50F, 27C=80F, 38C=100F [Good for humidex readings] -18C=0F. When it comes to gas prices take your litre price and divide by 22 to get the price per gallon. Then you will see how badly Canadians are getting hosed to fill their tanks. Yes I am a Statler or Waldorf, if you prefer, and have always been extremely resistant to change. If it ain't broke why fix it. I also believe technology is great......when it works!

June 10, 2024 3:45 pm  #9

Curious...how many border stations in the USA give the temp in Celsius to serve their cross-border Canadian listeners?...gonna take a guess and say less than zero?...the fact the USA, Myanmar and Liberia are the only countries on Earth that still use the imperial measurement system exclusively/officially tells you all you need to know.

June 10, 2024 4:36 pm  #10

WDIV Local 4 in Detroit occsionally (very occasionally) gives the celcius temperature for the sprawling metropolis of Harrow Ontario. 

June 10, 2024 4:57 pm  #11

WBFO Buffalo NPR gives the reading in Celsius for their Ontario listeners From an Ontario weather station in the Niagara region

June 10, 2024 6:29 pm  #12

Fahrenheit is way better.

Celsius 233 by Ray Bradbury just doesn't have the same impact.

Last edited by betaylored (June 10, 2024 11:04 pm)