sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2024 7:35 am  #1

That's Not Exactly What He Said...

So John Moore weighed in on the Queens Park keffiyeh debate this morning shortly after 7 a.m.
Mr. Moore referenced remarks made yesterday at Queens Park by government house leader Paul Calandra. 
Mr. Calandra was talking about facing discrimination when he was a child growing up in Markham,
He said words to the effect that as an Italian Canadian he knew all about discrimination having been spit upon and called wop in his youth.
But John Moore decided to cut the Calandra clip after the Italian origins reference thus leaving out the "being spit upon" and "wop" comments. 

Shouldn't Mr. Moore have played the entire quote?

Since when did being 100 per cent accurate become an issue? 

Last edited by unclefester (April 24, 2024 8:50 am)

April 24, 2024 9:45 am  #2

Re: That's Not Exactly What He Said...

Accuracy? Or precision?

April 24, 2024 11:31 am  #3

This might be an example of what happens when you get your info from social media instead of from the original source. If Moore was only reading Twitter or Facebook he would have seen the parsed quote without context. (Still a bit tone deaf- there certainly was anti-Italian prejudice in Toronto in the 70s and 80s but it pales on comparison to what a lot of other ethnic and racial groups went through then or still go through now.

April 24, 2024 1:11 pm  #4

There's a couple of schools of thought here in journalism.
One is the "spare people's feeling from unnecessary graphic detail" way of thinking.
That is to leave out explicit language like "wop" or being spit upon.
The other is the "tell it like it is, we are not here to be nice, nice"
I adhere to the latter, but I have had editors who would not let me.
Perhaps Moore thought it was best to not put the spit and wop comments out there because he felt it was just unnecessary.
But in that case what he should have done was to play the clip and cut it off at the point where Calandra said he knew all about discrimination.  But what he should have done then is to paraphrase Calandra, and say something like, "Mr. Calandra went on to say was he endured anti Italian slurs and even faced physical assault."
Otherwise some people might snort and think, "oh yeah big deal, Italian guy faced discrimination... big trauma."

April 24, 2024 2:50 pm  #5

Leaving the politics of the matter aside, I've checked John Moore's social media feeds and biographical information and nowhere do I find the word "journalist" in any description of his activities. His own description of his work uses words like "broadcaster" and "morning show host." As such, his primary job (and presumably why his employers hired him) is to be the face and voice of a show that gets good ratings and entices advertisers to spend money on Newstalk 1010. As I've stated elsewhere, talk radio is primarily entertainment, designed solely to keep people tuned in so they can hear the ads. If a listener feels the host isn't being "fair", he or she can always take it up with the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.

April 24, 2024 3:31 pm  #6

Bowmanville Bob.
Your research on John Moore seemed to have missed this, which I found in one quick Google Wikipedia search:

Career
Moore launched his career in radio journalism as a reporter at CHOM-FM in Montreal. He was also active in improv, being a founding member Montreal's On The Spot players.[2]Since 1999, Moore has worked as an entertainment reporter and film reviewer on the morning show at radio station CFRB 1010 in Toronto,

April 24, 2024 4:01 pm  #7

Well, colour me shocked. You got me newsguy1, ya big lug!

Now, please share with us some of the many stories Mr. Moore has broken during his career? Any awards he might have won for his journalism prowess? How about any claim on any of his current media sites where he describes himself as a journalist? 

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 24, 2024 4:05 pm)

April 24, 2024 4:12 pm  #8

As such, his primary job (and presumably why his employers hired him) is to be the face and voice of a show that gets good ratings and entices advertisers to spend money on
"Good ratings" ??  CFRB hasn't had good ratings for years and are never mentioned in the top PPM releases.  Bell has destroyed a once-admired pinnacle of the industry.  'RB is a joke now.

April 24, 2024 4:18 pm  #9

I actually don't know of any awards Moore might have won, or any stories he might have personally broken.  And yes, he does not refer to himself as a journalist much, although I have heard him talk about his days as a journalist in Montreal.
Also he still writes a newspaper column on occasion for the National Post.
It's not an entertainment or comedy column.

April 24, 2024 4:19 pm  #10

laffin wrote:

As such, his primary job (and presumably why his employers hired him) is to be the face and voice of a show that gets good ratings and entices advertisers to spend money on
"Good ratings" ??  CFRB hasn't had good ratings for years and are never mentioned in the top PPM releases.  Bell has destroyed a once-admired pinnacle of the industry.  'RB is a joke now.

True, but that's not entirely Moore's fault. He's been handicapped by bad management and Bell's continual cost-cutting measures. He can only work with what he's given. That said, his goal is to get the best possible ratings for his timeslot and presumably, his bosses must be happy with his work given his longevity. But let's not pretend that what he's doing is journalism in any sense of the word. He's a ringmaster, pure and simple, and his job is to get people to listen.

April 24, 2024 4:24 pm  #11

newsguy1 wrote:

I actually don't know of any awards Moore might have won, or any stories he might have personally broken.  And yes, he does not refer to himself as a journalist much, although I have heard him talk about his days as a journalist in Montreal.
Also he still writes a newspaper column on occasion for the National Post.
It's not an entertainment or comedy column.

Correct that, he doesn't refer to himself currently as a journalist at all. And given the NatPost's track record for the "objectivity" of its columnists, not to mention its current circulation numbers, I wouldn't exactly call that a ringing endorsement.

April 24, 2024 4:37 pm  #12

newsguy1 wrote:

Your research on John Moore seemed to have missed this, which I found in one quick Google Wikipedia search:
Career
Moore launched his career in radio journalism as a reporter at CHOM-FM in Montreal. He was also active in improv, being a founding member Montreal's On The Spot players.[2]Since 1999, Moore has worked as an entertainment reporter and film reviewer on the morning show at radio station CFRB 1010 in Toronto

Wikipedia, generally speaking, is hardly a credible source. As a journalist, I do find it helpful as a first line of inquiry. I might get a general timeline for a person or topic, sometimes I get references I can explore, and it's not a bad way to derive potential questions and lines of research. But to quote it or presume accuracy? Never.

But why take my word for it. Just for the sheer hell of it, here's a quote from the John Moore Wikipedia page you cite: "On November 26, 2007, The John Moore Show did a segment in which he questioned the factual accuracy of Wikipedia."

April 24, 2024 6:23 pm  #13

Remember too that CFRB's programming is composed of a significant number of moonlighting PR professionals, who don't often disclose their ethical conflicts the way they should.

April 24, 2024 7:19 pm  #14

Your antenna should go up when a program is called "Ask The Experts."