sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2024 9:10 pm  #1

Did You Have A Time In Your Life When You Didn't Watch TV?

Thinking about turkeytop's question about shows you watched as a kid.  This is the opposite.  Did you have a time  when you didn't watch TV at all for an extended time or very little?

When I went to college for 3 years, I hardly watched any television.  Sometimes a bit if I went home on weekends.  I can't say I really missed it that much at the time.  I went months not watching one show.  I was just out of the habit, and too busy.  Also in college the social life can be intense! 

So did you ever go for an extended time for whatever reason not watching television?  And did you miss TV?   

April 15, 2024 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Did You Have A Time In Your Life When You Didn't Watch TV?

I haven't had a TV in ten years.

April 15, 2024 10:00 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Thinking about turkeytop's question about shows you watched as a kid.  This is the opposite.  Did you have a time  when you didn't watch TV at all for an extended time or very little?

When I went to college for 3 years, I hardly watched any television.  Sometimes a bit if I went home on weekends.  I can't say I really missed it that much at the time.  I went months not watching one show.  I was just out of the habit, and too busy.  Also in college the social life can be intense! 

So did you ever go for an extended time for whatever reason not watching television?  And did you miss TV?    

When I went off to University in September 1972, I lived off campus and didn't own a tv set. Also to busy with readings, assignments and the occasional night at one of the campus pubs.

April 15, 2024 10:17 pm  #4

Excluding YouTube, I only watch TV or other streaming services once or twice a week, and usually just local news or a special event like the Billy Joel concert.

I’m all in on audio (including podcasts) and physical magazines and books.

April 15, 2024 10:53 pm  #5

Well, this is kind of an ironic admission. I used to watch a ton of TV before I took over this board, although sometimes I feel like the board is running me! As a result, I watch a lot less than I ever used to and spend a lot of time on the net looking for stories to post here. 

April 15, 2024 11:05 pm  #6

Now.

I subscribe to a couple of internet streaming services, most notably MHZChoice who offer (subtitled) European television programs and movies where social engineering has not reached the sublime. Yet.

April 15, 2024 11:22 pm  #7

Wow. You're only the second person I know who has even heard of MHZ, let alone subscribes to it. I have a friend who thinks it's one of the best streaming services out there and raves about what's on it.

April 15, 2024 11:55 pm  #8

The time of life when I don't watch TV has been most of my adult life.

At 11 every night I sit down and watch the news. After that, I make a drink and, for the next 30 minutes or so, I watch whatever my wife happens to be watching. Usually some mindless game show.

The exceptions have been for major news events like a moon landing or an election night.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

April 16, 2024 7:51 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

When I went to college for 3 years, I hardly watched any television ...  

Kind of the same for me as well.  During my university years, the only TV I watched was the Leafs games & CityTV's "The New Music" .. with the odd exception when I'd watch the Sunday afternoon movie (think cheesy escape'ism stuff like Sinbad) in a total act of procrastination from doing class assignments.

Of course now, TV watching is totally different.  I'm on Teksavvy IPTV & only subscribe to the Sports & News packages; the basic channels are almost never watched.  The last appointment style viewing I've done was back in 2016 for the 2nd season of "Better Call Saul".   

April 16, 2024 8:22 am  #10

The last TV show I regularly watched on TV rather than via a streamer was Mad Men.

Last edited by Hansa (April 16, 2024 8:25 am)

April 16, 2024 4:07 pm  #11

I'm think the era of 1974 through 1976. I was in college, and  spent any free time riding motorcycles and street racing my Cobra Jet Torino convertible. Winter was hockey, and more hockey. I never saw any  of the original broadcasts of Saturday Night Live, but did eventually see the reruns.  

April 16, 2024 7:49 pm  #12

I watched the least TV during my university years.
Then it was mainly the news at night.
I was heavily involved with CITR UBC radio and between that and my studies and seeing friends, (and girl friends) I felt no need to watch TV shows at all.
These days I don't watch much mainstream TV.  I have a few streaming services and I watch a few regular TV shows using Bell On Demand.

April 17, 2024 9:49 am  #13

As a teenager I went to boarding school and I didn’t watch tv for the 6 years I was there. Oddly enough I ended up working in television, go figure.

April 17, 2024 10:34 am  #14

Shorty Wave wrote:

As a teenager I went to boarding school and I didn’t watch tv for the 6 years I was there. Oddly enough I ended up working in television, go figure.

I was the same, in college enrolled in the broadcast course (Radio/TV) and not watching television.  I did listen to a lot of radio however.  

Even at my first job after college didn't watch television.  My apartment was furnished and had a portable black and white TV.  Living in Thunder Bay, the only stations I could get off air were CHFD (CTV), CKPR (CBC), TVO, and one station from Duluth Minn.  Didn't have cable. 

I remember watching a Leaf game one Saturday night when I was sick, and oddly enough watching Peter Gzowski's late night talk show.  The only reason I remember this is because he introduced a new comedian that nobody had ever heard of before.  Robin Williams.  I remember Williams was incredibly funny and unique.  Gzowski was laughing so hard, he could hardly talk, and the studio audience was roaring the whole time.

So like you, I went about six years and rarely watched TV.  Even though I majored in broadcasting and was working at a radio and TV station.   I had heard about all these great shows 1975 to around 1981 but watched almost none of them.  But I think when you are in your late teens and into your mid 20's even back then this wasn't rare.