sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2024 8:35 am  #1

Carbon Tax

While defending Trudeau and his hated carbon tax increase this morning, John Moore said "No one can deny that the carbon tax works".  It does?  How so?  What evidence is there that taking more money out of Canadians' pockets does anything to fight 'pollution'?  He also parroted the official party line that people get more back in rebates than they pay out, which is utter bunk when everything is taken into account.  Is he auditioning for a job with the Grits when he moves on from hosting a sinking radio show?

April 1, 2024 9:40 am  #2

Re: Carbon Tax

The only issue I have with your question is putting pollution as 'pollution' ...

April 1, 2024 10:12 am  #3

I am supposed to tilt centre left, not centre right, but I DO appreciate Trudeau for saying that all we can hear are crickets when asked for a Conservative alternative to any of this. 
Like it or not, it is a necessary tax. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2024 11:41 am  #4

What is the precise number of molecules of carbon dioxide required in our atmosphere to achieve Trudeau's utopian paradise?

April 1, 2024 12:11 pm  #5

67GreenRambler wrote:

What is the precise number of molecules of carbon dioxide required in our atmosphere to achieve Trudeau's utopian paradise?

That's not my specialty. You'll have to ask him yourself.
One thing for sure, this is not a do nothing situation, any way we see it.

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 1, 2024 12:12 pm)

April 1, 2024 12:16 pm  #6

Walter wrote:

While defending Trudeau and his hated carbon tax increase this morning, John Moore said "No one can deny that the carbon tax works".  It does?  How so?  What evidence is there that taking more money out of Canadians' pockets does anything to fight 'pollution'?  He also parroted the official party line that people get more back in rebates than they pay out, which is utter bunk when everything is taken into account.  Is he auditioning for a job with the Grits when he moves on from hosting a sinking radio show?

No, Moore's on the right track. There are some in the news crying like little bitches about this. They shouldn't be entertained.

April 1, 2024 12:50 pm  #7

As always, people will scream and stamp their feet, just like they did about wearing seatbelts,  motorcycle helmets and using unleaded fuel.

Fortunately, most people have stopped licking lead paint...haven't they? 😉

April 1, 2024 12:59 pm  #8

Remember the carbon tax was originally a conservative idea to avoid doing more tangible things. Because conservatives don’t really have ideals anymore other than opposing anything a liberal likes, it’s now the worst idea in human history.

This study says it works.

https://theconversation.com/carbon-pricing-works-the-largest-ever-study-puts-it-beyond-doubt-142034

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 1, 2024 1:05 pm)

April 1, 2024 1:03 pm  #9

The cost of not doing what needs to be done will only keep climbing higher. But it's hard to swallow new taxes and other such distanced measures when large swaths of government, business and the public have been so utterly slow, neglectful - and in many cases horrifically stupid - for decades. Just to stay on topic, it's going to make the demise of AM radio look like tiddly winks. Big time.

Last edited by Saul (April 1, 2024 1:04 pm)

April 1, 2024 1:04 pm  #10

Talk to me when China and India start doing something about all the carbon they emit.

April 1, 2024 1:06 pm  #11

pinto wrote:

Talk to me when China and India start doing something about all the carbon they emit.

The idea is to do it ourselves and then talk to them to convince them to follow suit.

April 1, 2024 1:10 pm  #12

pinto wrote:

Funny. People in India and China are saying the same thing right now, but about the Americas and Europe.

April 1, 2024 1:29 pm  #13

Newstalk 1010 commentator Scott Reid told John Moore at 6:20 this morning that "nobody ever got elected by raising taxes"

I take him at his word

Here's hoping he is correct

April 1, 2024 2:13 pm  #14

That is correct. They get elected when they lie about it and then do it anyway. See George Bush Sr. and Brian Mulroney.

April 1, 2024 2:23 pm  #15

Tomas Barlow wrote:

That is correct. They get elected when they lie about it and then do it anyway. See George Bush Sr. and Brian Mulroney.

See Jean ("I'll scrap the GST and tear up Free Trade!") Chretien.

April 1, 2024 3:12 pm  #16

Walter and Fester today:

April 1, 2024 4:08 pm  #17

As usual, John Moore pontificates the Liberal party line garbage.

April 1, 2024 6:40 pm  #18

99% of the generation that frequents this board are to blame for the planet turning into a cesspool, garbage dump...then they do their typical F-Trudeau while yelling at the clouds about taxes and climate change denial while supporting a political party that has said nothing recently about how they plan to to deal with it for future generations...only cultivating rage through lies while handing out low hanging political and emotional fruit to the ignorant.

April 1, 2024 6:42 pm  #19

Johnny B wrote:

99% of the generation that frequents this board are to blame for the planet turning into a cesspool, garbage dump...then they do their typical F-Trudeau while yelling at the clouds about taxes and climate change denial while supporting a political party that has said nothing recently about how they plan to to deal with it for future generations...only cultivating rage through lies while handing out low hanging political and emotional fruit to the ignorant.

Where's a 👍 when you want it?

April 1, 2024 6:51 pm  #20

Johnny B wrote:

Funny how the low hanging fruit rots quickly. Dinosaurs had big heads and small brains. Wish it could have been the opposite with humans.

April 1, 2024 6:59 pm  #21

Johnny B wrote:

cesspool, garbage dump   F-Trudeau  yelling at clouds  cultivating rage  lies  ignorant.

Speaking of rage that would appear to be a good word to describe you

You don't come across as a very fair minded citizen

Sad

April 1, 2024 7:12 pm  #22

I want to know what the tax is going to, what new technologies that are impacting the environment in a positive way. How is this tax improving the lives of Canadians, giving us hope, share what the vision is. We just don't get that from F-Trudeau and his cronies and by the way the gave themselves a pay raise today too.

Did anyone here get a pay raise? $8500 more for an already highest paid group of politicians. 

The National Post shares the lowdown on the pay increase. This government has no regard for low to middle class Canadians. None!

The tax is ill timed and the pay raise, is a big F--- You to Canadians.

https://nationalpost.com/news/on-april-1-canadian-mps-will-earn-worlds-second-highest-salary-for-elected-officials#:~:text=Right%20now%2C%20members%20of%20Parliament,

This calls for another trucker's rally!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (April 1, 2024 7:45 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 2, 2024 5:11 am  #23

In the communications business it is always instructive to know what your neighbours are thinking.

picture to url

April 2, 2024 9:42 am  #24

In general people don't vote for someone, they vote to get rid of a politician who is past is expiry date. In Ontario, voters didn't vote for Doug Ford. They just wanted Kathleen Wynne gone. Canadians don't love PP. They just despise Justin more and want him out of office. If Trudeau was smart he would resign. The Liberals would find a "new and improved" leader who would lead their party to another victory in 2025. Unfortunately, Justin's ego is too large for that to happen.

April 2, 2024 11:44 am  #25

mace wrote:

In general people don't vote for someone, they vote to get rid of a politician who is past is expiry date. In Ontario, voters didn't vote for Doug Ford. They just wanted Kathleen Wynne gone. Canadians don't love PP. They just despise Justin more and want him out of office. If Trudeau was smart he would resign. The Liberals would find a "new and improved" leader who would lead their party to another victory in 2025. Unfortunately, Justin's ego is too large for that to happen.

I'm inclined to agree - these days most people tend to vote somebody OUT rather than vote somebody IN (and maybe that's where we go wrong as voters but I digress).

However, if Trudeau were to resign, I'm not sure who is there to replace him - I think JT has damaged the Liberal brand to the point that anybody associated with him doesn't stand a chance. Freeland? Joly? Some other cabinet member? I don't see any of them succeeding simply because they've got JT shrapnel. PP will win handily, like it or not.

Using Ms. Wynne in the example above; Dalton McGuinty may have done the same damage to the Liberal brand provincially; essentially dooming Ms. Wynne no matter what she tried to accomplish. You could even argue the Liberal brand still hasn't recovered in Ontario - some minivans have more seats then they do.

April 2, 2024 12:17 pm  #26

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

This government has no regard for low to middle class Canadians. None!

My name is not Ben Dover and I do not wear a suit and tie for a living.
I am smart enough NOT to vote Conservative.
I also do not own a Walmart or any big business that will benefit from a Conservative win in 2025.
Conservatives also do not care about the little guy. 

Actually, it would be surprising to see the GREEN party win in protest, since this is a tax that everyone expected only the Green party to apply to all of us.
Maybe THEY have a better green plan at a far lower tax rate? I don't know...

April 2, 2024 12:24 pm  #27

Bell Media is doing their usual bang up job of coverage by interviewing a dozen or so people who are pumping gas into their cars, presumably because they're experts on how the tax works and can help inform viewers on the topic. 

but in the real world...

Nothing beats CFTO getting the uninformed views of people griping about gas prices to turn what Global did in 90 seconds into a 5 minute fluffed up time waster containing almost nothing but unqualified opinions and few facts from random people complaining.    Why not save $$ by just including their archived interviews from the last time instead of wasting time and energy this way?   
Next up!   5 minutes of interviews with drivers whining about the closure of King St. W.

Watching their news has become a waste of time. 

April 2, 2024 2:47 pm  #28

Nothing beats CFTO getting the uninformed views of people griping about gas prices to turn what Global did in 90 seconds into a 5 minute fluffed up time waster containing almost nothing but unqualified opinions and few facts from random people complaining.    Why not save $$ by just including their archived interviews from the last time instead of wasting time and energy this way?   
Next up!   5 minutes of interviews with drivers whining about the closure of King St. W.

Watching their news has become a waste of time. 

That's what a lot of Toronto television news has turned into.  People complaining or angry about whatever.

Doesn't really matter if you watch CFTO, City, Global, CP24 the focus always seems to be about conflict (however minor), angry citizens,  endless complaining, and people feeling hard done by.  There seems to be no regard of what is said, in these street/opinion clips.  It seems like if the reporter has asked 10 people they run all 10.  Doesn't matter what is actually said or if you can even understand what anyone is saying. 

For a major market a lot of news reporting in Toronto seems second rate and lacking varied points of view.  Diversity is our strength?  Not when all of the stations seem to have the same style of covering stories.  I think this comes down to more than the cutbacks.  More like poor and sloppy journalism?

Last edited by paterson1 (April 2, 2024 2:48 pm)