sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 8, 2024 10:44 am  #1

Jackie Shane Biopic Traces Her Career & Why Toronto Radio Rejected Her

Her most famous song was probably "Any Other Way," and she was a pioneer in the transgender world at a time when there barely was one. Now a Toronto filmmaker has told the story of Jackie Shane in a new film, centering primarily on the GTA, the place where she became famous - and then just as suddenly disappeared. 

The linked article talks about the film, which could be of some interest to those into forgotten local music history. But there's a large error in it. At one point, the author writes this:

"The film’s title references Shane’s popular 1963 song, “Any Other Way,” which hit No. 2 on Toronto radio singles chart, but never reached the top because local radio market leader CHUM FM refused to give it play.

I'm not so sure that first contention is true, because I remember hearing that tune frequently on CHUM. I doubt it could have reached #2, you should pardon the expression, any other way.

And it couldn't possibly have been CHUM-FM that "refused to give it play," because they were classical back then. Clearly, he's talk about 1050.

Anyway, the vintage video of Toronto in those days may alone be worth the price of admission. No word on whether it will be shown here or when, although it will debut at the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas. 

Jackie Shane Disappearance Mystery Solved in ‘Any Other Way’ Documentary

March 8, 2024 11:21 am  #2

Re: Jackie Shane Biopic Traces Her Career & Why Toronto Radio Rejected Her

Jackie Shayne and Any Other Way; was before CHUM-FMs time.  You're right, they were classical then.  I believe it was a typo and the writer meant to say 1050 CHUM.

Last edited by John D (March 8, 2024 11:25 am)

March 8, 2024 11:28 am  #3

Thanks John. I was pretty sure that was the case. There were very few listeners to FM in those days, and even if there were, there's no way they were going to hear pop or rock and roll on those frequencies

March 8, 2024 3:07 pm  #4

Back in the Jackie Shanedays, it wasn't known as 1050 CHUM. It was CHUM 1050.

LA consultant Ted Randal changed it to 1050 CHUM in 1968 and even came up with the musical logo. I recorded him playing it on the grand piano in CHUM's 'big' studio. CHUM used that logo for the Johnny Mann singers in '69 and beyond.

Jackie Shane's "Any Other Way" DID make # 2 on the CHUM chart for the week of April 1st, 1963 and that was no April Fool's.

Last edited by Doug Thompson (March 8, 2024 3:22 pm)

March 8, 2024 3:35 pm  #5

Thanks for this Doug. One title leapt out at me that I've never heard of before. It's at #35 and it's called "Gordie Howe" by Big Bob & The Dollars. Considering Toronto is and has always been a Leafs town, I'm surprised this made the charts here. But it did exist and here's the proof:

March 8, 2024 3:48 pm  #6

Toronto never rejected Jackie Shane and that Hollywood Reporter piece is a narrow and revamped biography. It reads to me like a strategic communications and public relations tale to sell a film/doc.

There is much info online without such a heavy angle about it. Here is just one.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/10/25/559775225/jackie-shane-a-force-of-nature-who-disappeared-has-a-story-all-her-own

March 8, 2024 4:03 pm  #7

Does the movie come from the premise that Jackie Shane was rejected by Toronto radio or was the Hollywood Reporter editorializing?  Who got the CHUM AM and FM wrong, the movie or the writer of the article?  Two major errors that I hope wasn't made by the film maker. If it was the film maker then they didn't do their research well. 

Any Other Way reached #2 on the CHUM chart.  So how then was the artist rejected by Toronto radio?  CKEY also played the single. The song was a hit in Toronto only, and spent 9 weeks on the CHUM chart.

According to wiki Any Other Way sold over 10,000 copies in the Toronto area and this was very successful considering her small New York City record label, Sue Records, had poor distribution.

Jackie liked Toronto so much that she lived here from 1959 until the early 70's.  And most of her success was in Toronto. I read in another article the reason she left was to take care of her ailing mother back in the US. 

Here is the CHUM Chart from the first week in April 1963.  

Last edited by paterson1 (March 8, 2024 4:10 pm)

March 8, 2024 4:18 pm  #8

Thanks for the chart, although I think you missed it being reproduced in Doug Thompson's post. 

The author of the Hollywood Reporter piece is Etan Vlessing, a long time Toronto-based correspondent for the U.S. publication. He generally covers Canadian show biz news for the site. He's usually pretty good, which leads me to think his info on Jackie Shane is coming from the filmmaker and not his own knowledge. 

More about his background here.

March 8, 2024 5:09 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for this Doug. One title leapt out at me that I've never heard of before. It's at #35 and it's called "Gordie Howe" by Big Bob & The Dollars. Considering Toronto is and has always been a Leafs town, I'm surprised this made the charts here.

You can read about how "Gordie Howe" ended up being played on CHUM at https://citizenfreak.com/titles/275701-davies-bob-big-bob-the-dollars-moe-chapman-bob-davies-gordie-howe-b-w-you

March 9, 2024 1:40 am  #10

When I was at CKEY as Dave what's his name - Jackie Shane was played quite frequently. And I continue to play Jackie on my shows from time to time. 

March 9, 2024 1:54 pm  #11

There are some other errors in the Hollywood Reporter article - it calls her 1967 album Jackie Shane Live, a "bootlegged recording" when it wasn't bootlegged at all. 

Last edited by Hansa (March 9, 2024 1:54 pm)