sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2024 10:34 pm  #1

Durham ByElection...Where Are The Results??

CBC.ca and Gem have live coverage of the Durham byelection this evening.  Couldn't find anything on CTV.ca or CP24 but Durhamregion.com has some numbers.  Sort of odd that one official party wants to be rid of CBC but they seem to have the only live coverage and discussion.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/durham-byelection-how-to-watch-1.7133264

March 4, 2024 10:36 pm  #2

Re: Durham ByElection...Where Are The Results??

March 4, 2024 10:43 pm  #3

Really surprised that CP24 doesn't have any results on air yet or anything on their website that I can see. Polls closed at 8:30.

March 4, 2024 10:58 pm  #4

CBC declared Jamil Javani as the winner of the federal byelection tonight in Durham about 10 minutes ago.  They went to Javani's election headquarters at a Chuck's Roadhouse in Durham.  No reaction from the supporters gathered.  On the big screen they had CP24 on, so many in the crowd haven't seen any results yet.  Funny and sad at the same time..  

March 5, 2024 6:53 am  #5

Javani has sued Bell for wrongful dismissal and the case is pending. Guess they didn't want to give him any publicity

March 5, 2024 6:59 am  #6

I thought it was hilarious when Greg Brady talked about this on Tuesday morning, indicating he'd like to have Jivani on, before noting "this may be one of the few radio stations he was willing to appear on!" He didn't explain why he said that, but those who know the history are well aware of the reasons. 

Also of note: CFRB has never once mentioned that he used to have a pretty high profile show there. If this were any other candidate without the legal baggage, I'm sure they'd be making sure people knew his background included time at NT1010. 

March 5, 2024 7:37 am  #7

It's worth noting that Jivani ignored virtually all media requests for interviews during the campaign, except for a few pre-scripted events where questions were submitted in advance. He also blew off each of the all-candidates debates held by the local Chambers of Commerce.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (March 5, 2024 7:45 am)

March 5, 2024 10:31 am  #8

poor pierre.  now if javani is not made deputy leader and finance minister it will somehow be racist...laziest sob i have known

Last edited by ToRon (March 5, 2024 10:32 am)

March 5, 2024 10:46 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Also of note: CFRB has never once mentioned that he used to have a pretty high profile show there. If this were any other candidate without the legal baggage, I'm sure they'd be making sure people knew his background included time at NT1010. 

Monday morning John Moore did mention the byelection and did say that Jamil Jivani was an "old friend"

March 5, 2024 2:45 pm  #10

March 5, 2024 3:57 pm  #11

A complete nutter. He'll be at home in Poilievre's caucus - until he's not.

March 5, 2024 7:00 pm  #12

I expect amusing things to occur when this cunning political strategy fails miserably.

March 5, 2024 8:10 pm  #13

Reminds me of this classic scene from the British/Irish sitcom Father Ted:

Father Ted's acceptance speech on winning the Golden Cleric Award

March 6, 2024 8:36 am  #14

Hansa wrote:

A complete nutter. He'll be at home in Poilievre's caucus - until he's not.

Chrisphen wrote:

I expect amusing things to occur when this cunning political strategy fails miserably.

The downward spiral continues for the party/supporters of "the unhinged" ..  

March 7, 2024 9:33 am  #15

Boggles my mind how so many ridings in this country could put up an unconscious, lab rat as a candidate (see Alberta, Sask and much of rural Ontario) and people would vote for it based on the colour of its election sign.

March 7, 2024 10:07 am  #16

It was interesting the day after the byelection that Tom Mulcair former leader of the NDP commented on Jamil Javani's victory on CTV News Network's Power Play.  He mentioned that he knew Javani personally and had been on various radio programs with him.

He was complimentary and called Jamil a breath of fresh air, and said the margin of victory was impressive.  However he did say that Jivani would need to keep within party policies if he hoped to have a future in politics or to move up within Conservative party.

Vashy Kapelos, the host of Power Play also did mention that Javani was a former employee of Bell Media, that that he was suing the company for alleged wrongful dismissal and that the court case was pending. 

Last edited by paterson1 (March 7, 2024 10:26 am)

March 7, 2024 11:40 am  #17

Johnny B wrote:

Boggles my mind how so many ridings in this country could put up an unconscious, lab rat as a candidate (see Alberta, Sask and much of rural Ontario) and people would vote for it based on the colour of its election sign.

Could it be these voters believe that a bad Conservative is better than any Liberal. Likewise most 416/905 voters are just the opposite. A bad Liberal [Justin] is better than any Conservative. While PP could win the next Federal Election, possibly with a majority, I predict the majority of the 416/905 ridings will still be painted Liberal Red.

March 7, 2024 11:49 am  #18

mace wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

Could it be these voters believe that a bad Conservative is better than any Liberal. Likewise most 416/905 voters are just the opposite. A bad Liberal [Justin] is better than any Conservative. While PP could win the next Federal Election, possibly with a majority, I predict the majority of the 416/905 ridings will still be painted Liberal Red.

If a bad politician of any stripe is better than a decent one from another party then you're a fucken sheep that votes for colours not for someone who will represent your community and its needs properly.

March 7, 2024 1:52 pm  #19

Johnny B wrote:

If a bad politician of any stripe is better than a decent one from another party then you're a fucken sheep that votes for colours not for someone who will represent your community and its needs properly.

This is why proportional representation is a vitally important electoral reform.