sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2024 5:25 pm  #1

Would You Watch A Rebooted "Bewitched" - The Drama?

They're trying it again - another reboot of an old show from your TV past. But this time, the new "Bewitched" won't be played for laughs. Its creators hope it will cast a spell on viewers as a drama.

The show infamously ran with two Darrins for eight years on ABC, until they literally ran out of scripts. (I remember a TV Guide entry in its later years that simply read, "Another spell by Endora, another job threat for Darrin - another save by Samantha." That's how predictable the plots had become!)

So far, it's only in "development" as they say, and there's no firm network attached to it, so it may never even happen. My guess is if it does, it will wind up on a streaming service somewhere. 

But as a drama, it won't have the shenanigans of nosy neighbour Gladys Kravitz or her husband Abner, and I'm not sure if it will be worth watching if there's no Uncle Arthur. Not even Dr. Bombay may be able to save it as a drama. Still, the curiosity factor is bound to be high and I'd be tempted to tune in for at least one episode.

Would you watch this if it ever got made?

‘Bewitched’ Series Reboot In The Works

February 15, 2024 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Would You Watch A Rebooted "Bewitched" - The Drama?

Dr. Bombay aka Bernard Fox passed away in December 2016 at the age of 89. Erin Murphy [Tabitha] and David Lawrence [Adam] are the only surviving cast members.

February 15, 2024 12:31 pm  #3

Bewitched really works as a satire of 1960s suburban middle class life and gender roles (in many ways its a somewhat feminist satire). I don't think it would work as a straight drama set today.

February 15, 2024 12:38 pm  #4

Nope.

February 15, 2024 2:52 pm  #5

And Samantha will have to be a transgender woman.
Darren (Darleen) will be her abusive fanatical Christian ex wife back when Samantha was a man, (Sam).
Endora, Samantha's mother, and a Trump supporter will be part of a pro-Trump coven that plans to kidnap and kill a famous pop star (a thinly disguised Taylor Swift).
Samantha will use her white witch's powers to thwart the plot, leaving Endora and Trump to think up new schemes each episode.
There, that will be 20 million dollars please.

February 15, 2024 3:43 pm  #6

Walter wrote:

Nope.

Hey, lots of subtext in Bewitched.
 Bewitched tweaked ’60s gender roles and became one of the first feminist sitcoms

Last edited by Hansa (February 15, 2024 3:43 pm)