sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2024 7:48 pm  #1

Super Bowl ads

Thank you Execulink, my fibre cable provider, For not substituting that network that just cut a bunch of jobs, and letting those evil Super Bowl ads through.

February 11, 2024 8:01 pm  #2

Re: Super Bowl ads

I am watching over my antenna 

February 11, 2024 8:37 pm  #3

So far, on CTV, I’ve seen Lay’s with Mark Messier (what year is this?), and perhaps more surprisingly? An ad for CBC. Specifically, their Junos broadcast.

CTV Vancouver also has had one local Super Bowl ad, for a flooring store.

February 11, 2024 9:42 pm  #4

The many many commercial breaks during the game seem longer this year.  Kind of hurts the flow of the game.  So far Vegas has been the star of the broadcast in my opinion.  

February 11, 2024 10:13 pm  #5

I am watching both the CTV and CBS ads on two different TV's. 
Interesting fact: Take note of the Coors Light ad. 
The American & Canadian versions are pretty much the same,
except the one that aired on CBS had LL Cool J driving the train.
The Canadian version, which aired on CTV has an unknown person driving the train
(no name credit given to the driver) 

American Superbowl ad that aired on CBS: (with LL Cool J driving the train)

The Canadain version that aired on CTV: (No credit given to person driving the train just "thanks chill train")

The American version also has a better ending with LL Cool J saying "I know a guy who can fix this!" 
(he says it right at the very end of the ad as the train is pulling out of the home)

The Canadian version...as the train is leaving, the driver just says "You have a lovely home" 

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 11, 2024 10:30 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 12, 2024 12:31 am  #6

I enjoyed the Agent State Farm ad with Arnold.

February 12, 2024 12:45 am  #7

Social media in Canada was not kind to the Canuck ads. But then, when is it ever kind about most things?

'Burnbrae eggs and Niagara College': Canadians mock Super Bowl ads up north in contrast with the American version

February 12, 2024 3:06 am  #8

mace wrote:

"That's what I said! NAY BAH!"   Very good ad! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 12, 2024 7:35 am  #9

mace wrote:

In case you missed it...

February 12, 2024 7:45 am  #10

My wife watched her Chiefs win it all on the CTV feed (CJOH). Not sure if she chose to watch it there or if CBS (WWJ Detroit) was simsubbed here, which it normally isn't on our Cogeco system... Bell is the dominant provider here, primarily satellite, and Cogeco locally is exempt from simsub requirements due to a low enough subscriber count.

Can't really speak for many of the commercials, if any... I didn't pay much attention to them, but a friend who watched OTA via Watertown NY's CBS outlet, WWNY 7, commented on the lack of ads for streaming services and telecom providers.

EDIT: She did watch on CJOH... the box was still on that channel (ch. 701) and not WWJ (ch. 713) when I fired up the TV this morning.

Last edited by Forward Power (February 12, 2024 9:55 am)

February 12, 2024 8:14 am  #11

Just curious. Did anyone here stay up to watch "Tracker," the much hyped series debut that followed the Super Bowl on CBS and CTV? It didn't start until 11:15 PM. After a very long Sunday watching TV, I wonder if this got the eyeballs they were hoping for.

February 12, 2024 8:57 am  #12

February 12, 2024 10:18 am  #13

A few of the ads were lost to me because the stars in them were from movies/tv series I have never heard of or watched.

February 12, 2024 2:00 pm  #14

As many here know, I'm not an NFL fan. But as a Marx Brothers fanatic, THIS I would have tuned in to see!

February 13, 2024 11:14 am  #15

Well here's something you don't see very often. After the U.S. Super Bowl broadcast a Dunkin' Donuts commercial, (starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon) the company has now released an "extended" version of the spot - running over 4 minutes!

I know most of the ads wind up on the Internet, but this is the first time I can recall they've added a "special edition" of something aired on the Big Game. 

An interesting concept and a way to get the message out to an additional audience. I wonder if we'll see more of this in the future. 

February 13, 2024 4:47 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Just curious. Did anyone here stay up to watch "Tracker," the much hyped series debut that followed the Super Bowl on CBS and CTV? It didn't start until 11:15 PM. After a very long Sunday watching TV, I wonder if this got the eyeballs they were hoping for.

Well, I guess this answers my question. 

Those are huge numbers, considering it was well after 11PM on a Sunday night on the East Coast. Haven't seen anything on CTV's results yet. 

‘Tracker’ Solid In Post-Super Bowl Debut; Scores More Than 18M Viewers In Latest After-Game Premiere In Decades