sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2024 12:17 pm  #1

Site Offers The Chance To Drive Foreign City Sts. With Local Radio On

It's called "Drive & Listen" and it offers you the chance to go on a tour of a city in your virtual car, while listening to the radio that's on the air there. 

It's an odd offering, because you don't really get to drive, just watch traffic go by outside your front windshield as real radio stations play on your speaker. But it is kind of neat, despite that.

The site offers a large number of cities and stations around the world you can experience. Among them: Amsterdam, Beijing, Berlin, New York City, Hawaii, Moscow, Rio, Rome, San Francisco and yes, Toronto. 

I have two issues with the latter:

First, the radio stations it carries for the T.O. entry aren't from Toronto proper at all. They consist of CKPC-FM in Brantford, for some reason, CKDX (still called the Jewel, and not updated to its new format) in Newmarket, CHAY in Barrie, and for some reason, WNED-FM in Buffalo. Only CIRV-FM, an ethnic station, is actually in Toronto proper and I'm guessing not many here choose that on their speaker when they're out for a drive.

My other complaint about the Toronto entry is the traffic depicted in the city is never that good!

You can put yourself in the driver's seat and see what's available here

January 19, 2024 12:53 pm  #2

Re: Site Offers The Chance To Drive Foreign City Sts. With Local Radio On

Very cool , though buggy.

January 19, 2024 6:53 pm  #3

If I want to listen to any radio station around the world, worldradiomap.com has a far superior selection.

January 19, 2024 7:26 pm  #4

mace wrote:

If I want to listen to any radio station around the world, worldradiomap.com has a far superior selection.

Huh. Hadn't tried that for a while. The Toronto section is remarkably complete and accurate, including HD sub-channels.

January 19, 2024 8:54 pm  #5

Online streaming is no more like radio than   - - - -- -   

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

January 19, 2024 9:57 pm  #6

turkeytop wrote:

So, am I or am I not listening to the "radio" here?

January 19, 2024 10:25 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

So, am I or am I not listening to the "radio" here?

I can't hear it.

But on the unit it says "Internet Radio."  That's about a confusing as Internet truck or Internet toaster.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

January 20, 2024 2:45 am  #8

Drive & Listen has been around for several years or more. The quality of their output may be a result of no one really taking care of it. Years ago there was no obvious way they could make money. Hence they do it for love.