sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2024 2:33 pm  #1

Amazon Prime adds ads

As a subscriber, I just received this email: 

Dear Prime member, We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than traditional TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional $2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here. Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including: 

• More than 20 million items are available with free Prime shipping and millions of the most popular items are available with free Same-Day Delivery or One-Day Delivery.
  • Access to Prime Video exclusive streaming video content including The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Boys, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Citadel, The Wheel of Time, Reacher, and The Summer I Turned Pretty, as well as movies such as Air, Creed III, and Candy Cane Lane with Eddie Murphy and exclusive live sports including ONE Championship).
  • Access to Prime Video Channels, which provides an unmatched selection of subscription channels like Hayu, Paramount+, Sportsnet, STARZ and STACKTV, No extra apps to download, and no cable required. Customers only pay for the channels they want, and can cancel anytime.
  • Exclusive deals and shopping events like Prime Day.
  • Ad-free listening of millions of songs and podcast episodes with Amazon Music Prime.
  • Unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos.
  • Gaming benefits with Prime Gaming.
  • Thousands of books with Prime Reading.
  • A free, one-year DashPass membership trial valued at $120 per year, offering $0 delivery fees on eligible orders, 5% back in DoorDash credit on eligible Pickup orders, and exclusive promotions and deals.

And, you can expect additional features and programs added in the future for our Prime members. As mentioned above, no action is required from you. If you wish to sign up for the ad-free option, you can click here to sign up. And, as always, if you have questions about your Prime membership, you can manage your account here. Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. Sincerely,
The Amazon Prime team * Live event content such as sports will continue to include advertising.

Last edited by Radio Bob (January 2, 2024 2:33 pm)

January 2, 2024 3:59 pm  #2

Re: Amazon Prime adds ads

Look, if there are going to be ads, these services should be completely free. No excuses. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 2, 2024 4:46 pm  #3

Not much difference between the streamers and cable channels. 

January 2, 2024 5:14 pm  #4

I've been reading the past few months in some of the trades about the main streaming services. According to some experts, once Netflix no longer had the streaming landscape all to itself and started facing expanding competition (Apple, Amazon, Disney, etc.) they started churning out record amounts of programming, most of it very expensive, until the inevitable happened. 

It cost them so much to effectively beat each other's brains out with innovative new shows and movies that it wound up costing them more than they were making. Price hikes only caused defections, which led to the spiral we're seeing now. The very thing that made them so different and desirable (i.e. sheer volume of programming, a price point cheaper than cable, on demand viewing and no interruptions) has started to unravel.

Now that commercials are being offered on almost all of these places for the same original price and multiple services are costing consumers the same or even more than cable did, they may be starting to lose the very advantages that made them so attractive in the first place. 

I see this as them saying these guys were flying too close to the sun and like Icarus, the wings have finally started to melt. 

If I'm paying for ads, in my case, it's more likely I'm not going to be paying at all. This could be an interesting year to see how they all do as people's finances are already stretched to the limit. I wonder how many subscribers will keep one streamer and give up on multiple others. 

January 2, 2024 5:14 pm  #5

I don't mind a few ads, as long as they're not as plentiful as on broadcast TV, if it keeps the cost down.
Am I foolish to hope that you'll be able to fast forward through the ads on Amazon?

January 2, 2024 5:26 pm  #6

I'm pretty sure I've heard there's no fast forwarding allowed. You can turn down the volume, you can leave the room or you can close your eyes. But from what I've read, you'll have no choice but to let them play. Otherwise, everyone would just skip them like on a DVR. No sponsor is going to allow that to happen for the money they're paying. 

January 2, 2024 5:32 pm  #7

Or I suppose you could do what a friend of mine does. Wait until all the seasons of a show you really want to see are out, subscribe to the service for a month and binge watch every episode, then cancel it before you get charged for another month.  

January 2, 2024 5:36 pm  #8

Too many channels/services and not enough viewers/subscribers.  That's why if you watch any network almost every break includes a promo for their streaming service or a deal they are offering.  

January 2, 2024 6:45 pm  #9

Received the same notice today and signed up......will do almost anything to eliminate ads and in particular promos for CTV.

January 3, 2024 9:46 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Or I suppose you could do what a friend of mine does. Wait until all the seasons of a show you really want to see are out, subscribe to the service for a month and binge watch every episode, then cancel it before you get charged for another month.  

I did something similar when HBO was running Boardwalk Empire. Rogers had a three month free preview of HBO. Empire usually had 13 episodes per season which fit nicely into the preview window. I was able to watch the entire series by this method.

January 3, 2024 10:34 am  #11

I'll wait and see what the ad load is before I give them any more $$$ on top of my Prime membership.  Their music streaming service has 2 levels as well.

January 10, 2024 6:05 pm  #12

Interesting timing. They're adding commercials but subtracting a ton of employees.

Amazon to Lay Off Hundreds of Staff From Prime Video and Studios Divisions