sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2023 6:18 pm  #1

Fox To Air Documentary Tribute To TV's "M*A*S*H" On New Year's Night

The special is dedicated to one of the most beloved TV series of all time, whose finale - "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" - still ranks as the highest rated television show in the medium's history.

The tribute, called ‘MASH’: The Comedy That Changed Television’ will feature new interviews with the surviving cast members, including an ailing Alan Alda (currently suffering from Parkinson's disease), Mike Farrell, Wayne Rogers and more, along with previously filmed clips of late stars of the show like Harry Morgan. 

“In these intimate, highly personal remembrances, the creation and evolution of the show’s iconic characters are revealed, alongside rare and never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage, photos and stories,” according to Fox."

It airs on Fox Monday Jan. 1st.

‘MASH’: The Comedy That Changed Television’ Special Set At Fox; Includes Interviews With Original Cast Members Alan Alda, Mike Farrell, More

December 6, 2023 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Fox To Air Documentary Tribute To TV's "M*A*S*H" On New Year's Night

Here's how TV Guide described M*A*S*H in its Fall Preview issue in Sept. 1972. A couple of things to note: the character of Spearchucker Jones, a black doctor, was quickly written out. So were Lt. Dish and General Hammond, who I have absolutely no memory of at all.

And you may notice that the part of Father Mulcahy was played by someone named George Morgan. He was almost immediately replaced after the pilot by the late William Christopher. 

December 6, 2023 11:32 pm  #3

While enormously successful, MASH never ranked higher than #3 in the Neilsen ratings. That occured twice, in 1976-77 and 1982-83.

December 7, 2023 1:13 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The special is dedicated to one of the most beloved TV series of all time, whose finale - "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" - still ranks as the highest rated television show in the medium's history.

The tribute, called ‘MASH’: The Comedy That Changed Television’ will feature new interviews with the surviving cast members, including an ailing Alan Alda (currently suffering from Parkinson's disease), Mike Farrell, Wayne Rogers and more, along with previously filmed clips of late stars of the show like Harry Morgan. 

Wayne Rogers died in 2015 so a new interview with him will be quite an accomplishment.

December 8, 2023 9:49 am  #5

A lot of those S1 characters (Jones/Dish/Hammond/Ugly John/Ho-Jon) were brought over from the books/movie. I feel they were ditched for a few reasons:

- there were far too many to keep track of from an audience (and writers') perspective. Audiences weren't thought highly of back then, so writers and producers likely figured they should slim down the cast

- the writers were still developing their groove and deciding who should get more screen time, likely also realizing it's easier to give depth to six characters than ten.

- I remember reading something about Jones being written out because the show runners couldn't find any evidence of African-American surgeons in Korea. They didn't do enough homework because there were but focusing on Trapper and Hawkeye meant Jones was likely going to be sacrificed anyway.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (December 8, 2023 9:50 am)

December 8, 2023 11:32 am  #6

I don't think there was a 70's/80's TV show that was more loved and hated simultaneously....might be one of the most loved/hated programs of all time?

December 8, 2023 4:45 pm  #7

Johnny B wrote:

I don't think there was a 70's/80's TV show that was more loved and hated simultaneously....might be one of the most loved/hated programs of all time?

I can't really think  of anyone who hated the series. I didn't start watching it until Harry Morgan joined the cast. Not one of my favourites of all time. No interest in watching any of the reruns now.