sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2023 4:04 pm  #1

Stephanie Smyth Gets A Shot At Hosting Talk Radio

She's been a news director, a news anchor, and a guest commentator. And next week, Stephanie Smyth will be something else - a talk show host. The longtime broadcast pro will be taking Kelly Cutrara's place on AM640 Monday for the show that airs from noon - 3 PM.

Smyth should be comfortable behind that mic - she used to be the station's news director and has also served in that position at CityNews 680 and Global. 

After years of having no real fill-ins beyond Arlene Bynon, CFIQ has certainly increased its bench strength, recently adding Ben Mulroney, Steve Paikin and Anothy Furey to back up roles when necessary. (But does this mean we'll never hear Bynon again?)

November 24, 2023 4:11 pm  #2

Re: Stephanie Smyth Gets A Shot At Hosting Talk Radio

Her name brings to mind Dick Smyth...

November 24, 2023 4:34 pm  #3

I have a feeling Stephanie Smyth and Dick Smyth worked together at CFTR (then 680 News - now CityNews 680) years ago (90’s??)

November 24, 2023 5:51 pm  #4

"After years of having no real fill-ins beyond Arlene Bynon, CFIQ has certainly increased its bench strength, recently adding Ben Mulroney, Steve Paikin and Anothy Furey to back up roles when necessary. (But does this mean we'll never hear Bynon again?)"

Ben Mulroney bench strength? Puh-LEEZ.  
Thanks for the long overdue test of my gag reflex.

November 24, 2023 6:17 pm  #5

My main memory of Stephanie Smyth was I once attended a talk she was giving about being a radio news reporter and she stated that some of her success was due to her "self defecating humour."
Eew, didn't want to see that.

November 24, 2023 9:15 pm  #6

newsguy1 wrote:

My main memory of Stephanie Smyth was I once attended a talk she was giving about being a radio news reporter and she stated that some of her success was due to her "self defecating humour."
Eew, didn't want to see that.

At least she didn't allude to 'rapist wit'.

November 24, 2023 10:26 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

She's been a news director, a news anchor, and a guest commentator. And next week, Stephanie Smyth will be something else - a talk show host. The longtime broadcast pro will be taking Kelly Cutrara's place on AM640 Monday for the show that airs from noon - 3 PM.

Smyth should be comfortable behind that mic - she used to be the station's news director and has also served in that position at CityNews 680 and Global.

Stephanie did some very limited talk show fill-in work during her time as news director at AM640 Toronto in the mid-to-late 00s (likely within the 2006-07 time period). In fact, she was paired with the venerable Dick Smyth on at least one of those occasions when subbing on Stafford's afternoon drive show.

November 24, 2023 10:34 pm  #8

I did some digging and found the details about Smyth and Smyth's two-day tango in December 2006.

Wow. While I can't for the life of me remember what I ate for dinner last night, it appears that I can recall obscure holiday talk show line-ups from nearly 20 years ago. What a skill!

November 25, 2023 7:36 am  #9

Fjiri wrote:

I did some digging and found the details about Smyth and Smyth's two-day tango in December 2006.

Wow. While I can't for the life of me remember what I ate for dinner last night, it appears that I can recall obscure holiday talk show line-ups from nearly 20 years ago. What a skill!

A subscription-only read... though first graf is visible and hints at what I was wondering...

November 25, 2023 10:38 am  #10

Fjiri wrote:

I recall that Stephanie also discussed the lack of Dick Smyth relation on one or both of her "Toronto Mike'd" appearances, in 2016 and 2023 respectively:

https://www.torontomike.com/2016/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_206/
https://www.torontomike.com/2023/08/paul-cook-and-stephanie-smyth-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1311/

November 25, 2023 11:26 am  #11

AspectRatio wrote:

Fjiri wrote:

I recall that Stephanie also discussed the lack of Dick Smyth relation on one or both of her "Toronto Mike'd" appearances, in 2016 and 2023 respectively:

https://www.torontomike.com/2016/11/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_206/
https://www.torontomike.com/2023/08/paul-cook-and-stephanie-smyth-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1311/

Yes, we learned there's absolutely no relation between the Smyths during her first visit, and when she returned with her husband Paul Cook in late August, I addressed it again off the top because so many people believe that Stephanie is Dick's daughter. 

On an unrelated note, I was thinking about SOWNY this morning b/c I'm scheduled to record a secret episode in 30 minutes that I think will be of particularly interest to readers here. It should be in the Toronto Mike'd podcast feed by 1pm today. Handy subscription links are here: https://www.torontomike.com/subscribe/

November 26, 2023 3:50 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

After years of having no real fill-ins beyond Arlene Bynon, CFIQ has certainly increased its bench strength...(But does this mean we'll never hear Bynon again?)

I guess my question has been answered. Bynon was filling in for Roy Green across the Corus network on Sunday. 

(Not sure how many know that Bynon now lives in Prince Edward Island and she does a lot of the shows from her home there. That's fine, although a few months ago, she was doing 640 fill-in work and hosting the show while a hurricane and huge storm was blowing outside. If she'd lost power, then what would the station do? I thought they were taking quite the chance that day, but luckily for them, they stayed on air despite the threatening weather.)