sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2023 3:18 pm  #1

Rainbow Bridge Vehicle Explosion Reports First On CTV News Channel

CTV News Channel had this breaking story way before anyone else on TV.  They first broke the story at 1:08 with graphics and photos this afternoon.  CBC News Network broke at 1:27, CP 24 had it on the crawl at 1:28 and CNN first report was at 1:45.  The beauty of rewind makes it easy to see who was first.

November 22, 2023 3:48 pm  #2

Re: Rainbow Bridge Vehicle Explosion Reports First On CTV News Channel

Meanwhile, the usual U.S. news sources reveal an interesting divide in how this is being reported there. Most are careful not to jump to conclusions yet. Guess who isn't taking that route without any information? 

Here's the list:

NBC (which is the only OTA net that interrupted programming for coverage): FBI Investigating Vehicle Explosion At U.S.-Canada Border

CNN: Two Dead In Car Explosion On Bridge At U.S.-Canada Border

MSNBC: Sources: Vehicle Crashed Into Border Checkpoint At High Rate Of Speed, Caught Fire And Then Exploded

And what does Fox News say? "2 Dead After Attempted Terror Attack At NY-Canada Border."

Yes, they're already calling it a terror attack less than an hour after it happened, while all the others are simply reporting the event without jumping to conclusions. It may, in fact, end up being a terror attack. But right now, as of 2:48 PM, everyone else is being very careful about not saying that. Except Fox. Clearly, they haven't learned anything from that "Election Was Stolen" experience. Sad to see they haven't changed.

November 22, 2023 3:57 pm  #3

What also is interesting is that the Canadian news networks don't have any graphics saying two people dead.  They have said only that there were reports of fatalities. 

November 22, 2023 4:05 pm  #4

Someone was driving that car, so it's safe to say whoever was in there is gone. But how many is likely coming from authorities, since almost all of them seem to agree on the number. But no one - except Fox - is openly saying it's terror yet, which is the responsible thing to do. 

November 22, 2023 4:11 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

CTV News Channel had this breaking story way before anyone else on TV.  They first broke the story at 1:08 with graphics and photos this afternoon.  CBC News Network broke at 1:27, CP 24 had it on the crawl at 1:28 and CNN first report was at 1:45.  The beauty of rewind makes it easy to see who was first. 

Could it be that Bell has CKTB in St. Catharines, which would have been the first to receive any such report, and they passed it up the food chain? Just a guess, but there's nothing like having a newsroom near the scene to get things first. The others don't have any broadcast presence there. 

November 22, 2023 4:17 pm  #6

CBC News Network and CP 24 are confirming two dead.  Confirmation came from the hospital. 

CTV News Channel is saying that officials are assuming this was an act of terrorism.  

November 22, 2023 4:24 pm  #7

Nov 22 (Reuters) - An explosion at on Wednesday at the Rainbow Bridge connecting the United States and Canada at Niagara Falls on Wednesday was likely caused by a reckless driver, according to early assessments, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

November 22, 2023 4:34 pm  #8

[color=inherit]Ken Dilanian[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC]@KenDilanianNBC Four law enforcement officials told @Tom_Winter and @jonathan4ny that no explosives were found in the vehicle that crashed into the Buffalo-area border checkpoint. Cause still TBD, but law enforcement officials NOT calling this terrorism.

November 22, 2023 4:40 pm  #9

Fox has a new headline @ 3:38 PM:

"Motive Unclear In Attack At NY-Canada Border"

So, they've dropped the 'terror' word, but still calling it an "attack." No other U.S. networks are doing that. 

November 22, 2023 4:48 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

So, they've dropped the 'terror' word, but still calling it an "attack." No other U.S. networks are doing that. 

I always tune in to Fox News to get the latest lies, exaggerations and mayhem. Don't you all?

November 22, 2023 4:51 pm  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I always tune in to Fox News to get the latest lies, exaggerations and mayhem. Don't you all? 

Given their track record, I wonder how they can credibly call themselves Fox "News."

November 22, 2023 5:14 pm  #12

OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, on CBC 99.1 Toronto, reported from the Niagara Region a few moments ago.

He suggested that the bridges may be closed for some time and that another route Canadians (on the US side) could use to get home was by heading to Gananoque via the south shore of Lake Ontario, and then back along the north shore.

In good traffic, that's a 10 hour trip back to the Niagara Region. Hope they've got extra money with them for gas, food and maybe a motel room. Oh the irony if they just slipped across the border for a fuel fillup. 🤪

November 22, 2023 5:16 pm  #13

Fox also reported that the car was full of explosives and that the car came from Canada and was trying to get into the US.  Mind you many initial reports said the car was headed for the US.  Now they are saying it was the other way that the car was in NY and headed for Canada. So this part is still not totally clear other than the incident happened on the US side.

November 22, 2023 5:38 pm  #14

The Buffalo News is reporting that the vehicle was travelling at a high rate of speed, going towards Canada, but in the wrong lane; the lane reserved for Canadians entering America.

https://archive.ph/dZMuD

November 22, 2023 5:46 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Given their track record, I wonder how they can credibly call themselves Fox "News."

I remember the false claim that the perpetrators of 9/11 came into the USA from Canada that was widely parroted by Republican politicians at the time.   And who uses Fox News for their information source more than anyone?   Republicans.   

I had Fox News at the time and remember them amplifying that lie, so I'm not surprised to hear them jumping the gun with sensationalist BS probably coupled with misleading banners running at the bottom the screen.  

You know they claimed that they're an entertainment outlet, not a news outlet as part of their defence in the Dominion lawsuit and that isn't the first time they've made that claim in their defence when they faced heat for lying.  

The first report I heard was on Q-107 via Global News about 2:30 with a claim the car was headed the wrong way on an entrance ramp (don't know which direction).   

I always loved this gem from way back in 2012: STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Last edited by SpinningWheel (November 22, 2023 6:17 pm)

November 22, 2023 6:35 pm  #16

Despite rephrasing their banner on screen twice, they were forced to retract the 'terror attack' statement and are no longer claiming that. But they sure were quick to rush to that judgment. 

November 22, 2023 6:37 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

Despite rephrasing their banner on screen twice, they were forced to retract the 'terror attack' statement and are no longer claiming that. But they sure were quick to rush to that judgment. 

Why does Fox news even have a broadcast licence?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2023 6:40 pm  #18

They're on cable. I don't believe they need a licence. 

November 22, 2023 6:45 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Correct.

November 22, 2023 6:47 pm  #20

So this is not really a big story. Bottom line: Car crash at the border! Only people killed are those inside the vehicle. A lot of people on a story that really turned out to be nothing.

November 22, 2023 6:53 pm  #21

Brad wrote:

So this is not really a big story. Bottom line: Car crash at the border! Only people killed are those inside the vehicle. A lot of people on a story that really turned out to be nothing.

A whole lot of the news media has done a whole lot of bedshitting this afternoon.

November 22, 2023 6:54 pm  #22

I can't wait for the conspiracy theorists to come out of the woodwork screaming 'cover-up' and swearing it was terrorism. And ironically, on the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, one of the biggest conspiracy events in modern history!

November 22, 2023 7:08 pm  #23

Channel 7 news has a reporter on scene who came up with 2 eye witnesses, both confirming that the car was headed into Canada, hit a booth, flipped and exploded.
The weird thing about the report is that both witnesses, one from Buffalo and the other from Kitchener, are named Ricky Wilson!    What are the odds?

Oops!  The reporter must have got it wrong.   The CBS news had one of the same witnesses on now and his name is Mike Gunther, not Ricky Wilson.      That's a new on air mistake for the books!

Last edited by SpinningWheel (November 22, 2023 7:35 pm)

November 22, 2023 10:16 pm  #24

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Correct.

So because they are on cable and don't need a license, with no FCC oversight they are free to speculate with no facts, basically say whatever they want or what fits their agenda.  Guess that's why they reported  that "sources have told Fox News that the car was loaded with explosives racing towards the US border." 

Didn't defenders of Fox "News" Network always say that during the day they were a credible news network with no spin and straight forward reporting?   The more opinionated and outlandish hosts with a focus on infotainment  were only in prime time supposedly.  Guess that was a lie too... 

November 22, 2023 10:24 pm  #25

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Correct.

So because they are on cable and don't need a license, with no FCC oversight they are free to speculate with no facts, basically say whatever they want or what fits their agenda.  Guess that's why they reported  that "sources have told Fox News that the car was loaded with explosives racing towards the US border." 

Didn't defenders of Fox "News" Network always say that during the day they were a credible news network with no spin and straight forward reporting?   The more opinionated and outlandish hosts with a focus on infotainment  were only in prime time supposedly.  Guess that was a lie too... 

Basically, yeah,

November 23, 2023 1:14 am  #26

I wonder what the last words the two passengers said to each other as that car sailed through the air as seen in some news reports? 

November 23, 2023 1:29 am  #27

Marsden wrote:

I wonder what the last words the two passengers said to each other as that car sailed through the air as seen in some news reports? 

I'm guessing one of them would have said "OH SHIT!!!" 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 23, 2023 9:32 am  #28

"Demands are being made for the government to designate the KISS Army as a terrorist organisation."

November 23, 2023 9:54 am  #29

Marsden wrote:

Either 'God is great!' or 'Oh shit!' I guess that's the job of the security bosses, to find out...

November 23, 2023 10:04 am  #30

This is what happens when they decide to rock and roll all night and party every day.