sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2023 10:25 am  #1

Is This Really A Toronto Radio Station? The Mystery Of CHIM-FM

I stumbled across this by accident and it stopped me in my tracks – a radio station that claimed to be on FM in both Toronto and Hamilton. And I’ve never heard of it. Now I’m wondering if it really ever existed here at all.

It started off as CHIM-FM (not CHYM or CHUM but CHIM) one of the first all-Christian formats outside of Newfoundland, when the CRTC approved the format for the rest of Canada in June 1993. The station was based in Timmins and it didn’t take long before it started to expand to other places.

There were CHIM rebroadcasters approved for Iroquois Falls, Kirkland Lake, New Liskeard and Sault Ste. Marie. Soon there were CHIM sticks in Chapleau, Elliott Lake, Kapuskasing, Elliott Lake and Wawa, even in Red Deer, Alberta.

The owner tried to get a licence for Vancouver but the CRTC said no. And then, in 2000, they made an attempt to bring CHIM to Toronto, applying for permission to use 106.3 here. But again, the Commission denied the request.

Eventually, the CRTC pulled the station’s licences because, despite a history of non-compliance, they never took the Commission's warnings seriously.

Here’s where it gets strange. CHIM is now back on the air in its original home of Timmins, this time at 1710 on the AM dial, although why it was allowed to return despite its previous violations isn’t clear. But its website clearly states that it has rebroadcasters in both Toronto (at 101.7 FM) and Hamilton (at 104.9 FM.)

I’ve never heard either of these stations and an attempt to tune in both of them results in nothing but static. They’ve now taken much of their programming to the Internet, because, as they phrase it, This new method of delivery is not under CRTC jurisdiction so therefore we have a lot more freedom and are now able to offer a much bigger range of programming. In other words, screw you, CRTC.

But where are those GTA FM signals? Unless it's carrier current and reaches the house next door or around the block, I’ve never heard of them.

(And by the way, the call letters C-HIM are pronounced “See Him,” referring to God.) Does anyone know anything about this odd radio station? God only knows.

CHIM Website

CHIM-FM, At The History Of Canadian Broadcasting

November 20, 2023 12:27 pm  #2

Re: Is This Really A Toronto Radio Station? The Mystery Of CHIM-FM

The contact page on its website is dated in at least one way.
Bill Leacock is listed in the Iroquois Falls section. He died in May, 2021. He owned CJWL, which he sold to Vista Radio.  I'm not sure whether it was him or Vista who changed the call letters to CFIF, letting Evanov have CJWL for Jewel Ottawa.

November 20, 2023 1:17 pm  #3

Careful with 101.7. If it sounds Catholic, it might actually be 101.7 from the American side (often picks up in Scarborough)
WLOF Buffalo: https://tunein.com/radio/WLOF-1017-s30730/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2023 1:55 pm  #4

I honestly don't think there IS a 101.7 in Toronto - or a 104.9 in Hamilton. I'm curious why they put that up on their site if the stations aren't actually there. 

November 20, 2023 3:07 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I honestly don't think there IS a 101.7 in Toronto - or a 104.9 in Hamilton. I'm curious why they put that up on their site if the stations aren't actually there. 

False advertising is false advertising. I say don't ever donate anything to this false radio station. 
It may be a real online station, but it's not an FM station as advertised.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2023 6:06 pm  #6

I actually heard the 101.7 a number of years ago. I had to venture up to the Bloor Dufferin area to hear it:

Jul 29 Tr 2008 (TO – Downtown)
1942 VFU545 101.7 ON Toronto        CHIM relay heard on Bloor West, mono Christian pop music

I've heard the AM 1710 at my north Kawarthas DX site. Modulation was awful as I recall. Similar format.

I would think neither is currently on the air.

Last edited by Saul (November 20, 2023 6:07 pm)

November 21, 2023 7:15 pm  #7

In my car in Timmins today, I scanned the AM dial.  Nothing local showed up, although 590 and 1050 were surprisingly clear.  This was at about 3:30pm.

November 21, 2023 7:17 pm  #8

Radio Bob wrote:

In my car in Timmins today, I scanned the AM dial.  Nothing local showed up, although 590 and 1050 were surprisingly clear.  This was at about 3:30pm.

Good to know. Thank you for doing that!