sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2023 8:29 am  #1

The Worst Thing About Talk Radio? The Callers

I'm not sure who this guy is but in an online commentary, a radio host (who admits he's not very good at his job) complains that taking calls is what ruins most talk shows - especially those who go way off topic.

He also seems to think working in a disguised swear word somewhere in the mix is something the audience loves. 

I don't agree with much of his opinion, but you can decide for yourself. 

The Answer To Talk Radio Woes - Ban Calls From Listeners

November 8, 2023 10:05 am  #2

Re: The Worst Thing About Talk Radio? The Callers

That theory seems redundant to me. Larry King, Howard Stern, Rush etc  all made their success taking calls and bantering off them. 

November 8, 2023 10:16 am  #3

Des Moines, Iowa   You're on the air!......

November 8, 2023 10:58 am  #4

As a listener, callers are one of the main reasons I don’t listen to commercial talk radio.

I don’t want to hear from people who have no more knowledge than I do on any given topic, and aren’t representative of the larger population

November 8, 2023 11:36 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

As a listener, callers are one of the main reasons I don’t listen to commercial talk radio.

I don’t want to hear from people who have no more knowledge than I do on any given topic, and aren’t representative of the larger population

That the reason I do want to hear from them. They are the voters, the consumers, the social media users and most importantly the audience and the customer . What business does not want to hear from their customers. 

Got the answer ..Talk radio ! That's why their ratings are bottoming out.

November 8, 2023 11:41 am  #6

Hearing from and listening to your consumers is one thing, integrating them into the content and foisting them on the rest of us is quite another.

I ride the subway, I get to hear my fair share of unsolicited, uninformed opinions, thanks.

November 8, 2023 12:01 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Hearing from and listening to your consumers is one thing, integrating them into the content and foisting them on the rest of us is quite another.

I ride the subway, I get to hear my fair share of unsolicited, uninformed opinions, thanks.

They are also the decision makers on most of the topics like politics, finance etc I want to hear from the organ grinders, not a monkey. Many callers are more interesting than the amateur ex political advisors hosts, or the right wing bang a viewpoint to death broadcasters. Variety is the spice of life.  BTW there is an of switch on the radio.

November 8, 2023 5:33 pm  #8

"Thanks for taking my call!  Anyways, like I was saying to your screener there..."

November 8, 2023 5:39 pm  #9

Stinand wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

They are also the decision makers on most of the topics like politics, finance etc I want to hear from the organ grinders, not a monkey. Many callers are more interesting than the amateur ex political advisors hosts, or the right wing bang a viewpoint to death broadcasters. Variety is the spice of life.  BTW there is an of switch on the radio.

Indeed. And call-in shows get switched off more than ever.

November 8, 2023 5:50 pm  #10

Stinand wrote:

They are also the decision makers on most of the topics like politics, finance etc 

Are you talking phone-in guests, or listeners who call in? Because the listeners who call in are not decision-makers. Decision-makers don't have time for that.

November 8, 2023 6:24 pm  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

He seemed to understand once upon a time
https://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=71005#p71005

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 8, 2023 6:48 pm  #12

It's easy to condemn idiotic callers. But having been a producer for these shows in a past life, I can tell you the person who screens the calls is the key. If you get a really good call screener, they can separate the wheat from the chaff and just let on the people who are articulate, can make their point in a short time and even intelligently rebut the host if necessary. 

I always looked at callers as salt. Too much in your recipe and the meal is inedible. Too little and it's bland. But just the right amount, if they're good, can actually make the show kind of tasty.  

The problem is finding those rare few and letting them have their say. A good screener can figure out who they are. 

November 8, 2023 7:03 pm  #13

Cross Country Checkup on CBC Radio seems to do well as a call-in show. The calibre of callers is (mostly) decent too.

November 8, 2023 7:21 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

It's easy to condemn idiotic callers. But having been a producer for these shows in a past life, I can tell you the person who screens the calls is the key. If you get a really good call screener, they can separate the wheat from the chaff and just let on the people who are articulate, can make their point in a short time and even intelligently rebut the host if necessary. 

I always looked at callers as salt. Too much in your recipe and the meal is inedible. Too little and it's bland. But just the right amount, if they're good, can actually make the show kind of tasty.  

The problem is finding those rare few and letting them have their say. A good screener can figure out who they are. 

It’s been over 20 years since I last screened a call at a talk station, and even then, at well-rated stations, it was the same dozen cranks every day. It’s probably next-to-impossible now.

November 8, 2023 7:23 pm  #15

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Cross Country Checkup on CBC Radio seems to do well as a call-in show. The calibre of callers is (mostly) decent too.

When the whole country is your pool, and it’s only a few hours per week, it can work.

Speaking of CBC, they’ve been on a ratings high while only rarely using listener calls for content.

November 8, 2023 8:36 pm  #16

As a talk radio listener, I think it's only fair to point out how few shows actually take calls anymore. John Moore on 1010 and Greg Brady over on 640 have maybe one seven-minute segment during their morning drive programs that allows callers. Alex Pierson is mostly speaking to pre-arranged guests, with only one early segment (usually 9:15 to 9:30 AM) for public input. 

I've almost never heard Vassy Kapelos take calls, although she does on occasion. But most of the time, she's talking to some expert or politician. Jim Richards' nighttime show is almost totally guest-driven. Same with Oakley. Dani Stover's evening show on 640 never takes a single call, because it's all rerolls of the supposedly best segments from that day's other Corus programs. 

So depending on the station, I think this thing about callers is way overblown. They're just not as big a factor as they used to be back in the John Gilbert days. And radio is better for it. 

Tom McConnell, back when he was doing afternoons on CKTB, was once asked by a listener why he didn't take more phone calls. It sounded a bit egotistical, but I'll never forget his reply. He said, "I'm the trained broadcaster. More of me and less of you makes for a better show."

And of course, he was right. 

November 9, 2023 1:06 am  #17

Vassy does take calls and reads texts roughly twice a week for 10 minutes each time. It’s short and she keeps it moving. She also only takes calls on really hot topics. If you’re going to do it, that’s the way to do it.
Sports radio can be entertaining when listeners call in but politics rarely is.

November 9, 2023 8:26 am  #18

This seems timely, considering this thread. A veteran radio talk show host claims younger demos will listen to talk radio - if you make sure to include them. I'm not sure I buy all his suggestions, but they're interesting to consider. 

How News/Talk Radio Should Adapt to Attract and Retain a Younger Audience

November 9, 2023 9:49 am  #19

Taking calls from listeners can be one of the best and worst part of show...that's the beauty of it, where else can you go to listen to people talk live about a subject you're obviously interested in that could likely illicit an emotional reaction from you or others...that's the old school magic of live radio...the whole point of the show is to inform and entertain the people who want to listen, call and chat about it...removing them from the equation is dumb and egomaniacal...listeners and their contributions are what a talk show should be based on...and if you ever want to hear how good listener calls and input can be listen to a professional sports team home broadcast after they lose a game...the comments can be fricken gold, Jerry.

November 9, 2023 11:16 am  #20

All interesting viewpoints, but something has to change in Ontario commercial talk radio as it is dying. 

Having heard at the Radio Days Convention ( Plug) from many European and American speakers, they are trying to find more ways to engage and involve the listener. BBC Radio2 has 14 million listeners and goes to extraordinary lengths to involve the listener and make radio interactive. I would suggest 

The Ontario talk show listener is the potential consumer of the advertiser's products, so hearing their points of view is critical. I want to hear from my audience members and let them guide me on the content for the next show or convention. They are the most essential part of my business, I don't belittle them as uninformed subway riders.
They must be heard if I wanted a sermon, I can go to church 

November 9, 2023 12:14 pm  #21

I know we ran this on another thread, but this is what the new morning host on CBC Radio 1  London is doing. Some may think it is hokey, and others may think it is brilliant..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/andrew-brown-cbc-london-london-morning-1.6999183

November 9, 2023 1:23 pm  #22

Generally, phone-in shows are about as interesting as the comment section of a website, particularly since like the comment section, you rarely get a diversity of views and novel opinions rather than an echo chamber where most are singing from the same lowest common denominator hymn book. I'm not really a fan of Cross-Country Checkup but at least there you get to hear from people across the country and so get some different perspectives that you don't get from local phone-in shows. I recall Larry King's CNN show more clearly than his radio show but as I recall the phone-in aspect was only a small aspect of the Mutual show, largely relegated to the last hour when fewer people are still tuned in. The first few hours were mostly King talking to his guests with only a few callers put on the air, as I recall.