sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2023 10:44 am  #1

Worth A Watch: A Doc On The Creation Of Trivial Pursuit

There's a great show that airs on the History Channel in both the U.S. and Canada, called "The Toys That Built America." It delves into the history of some of the favourite toys from childhood, from Monopoly to video games and things like Mr. Potato Head and the Slinky. Someone had to think of them before they got into your hands and this show explains how that happened. 

On Tuesday night's show, which I was lucky enough to get a preview of, they deal with two Canadians who made their mark on the toy world against all odds, by inventing - and then almost went broke - trying to market Trivial Pursuit. (It was one of the pair's wife who came up with the name.)

It tells the story of how two Montreal journalists who knew nothing about creating or making a board game came up with the idea and then bluffed their way into turning it into an improbable hit. 

I've seen this show before and I always enjoy it. But this is the first one I've watched that centres on Canadians. It airs at 9 PM (EST) Tuesday night with a replay at midnight. I found it very entertaining. You might, too. Especially if you can "wedge" it into your schedule.

November 7, 2023 1:24 pm  #2

Re: Worth A Watch: A Doc On The Creation Of Trivial Pursuit

Oh, great.  I'm on Eastlink up here in God's Country.  History is one of the channels that got dumped a few months ago, because of a fee dispute.
If anyone hears of a free link where I can catch this show, please do a brother a solid... 

November 7, 2023 2:16 pm  #3

Radio Bob wrote:

Oh, great.  I'm on Eastlink up here in God's Country.  History is one of the channels that got dumped a few months ago, because of a fee dispute.
If anyone hears of a free link where I can catch this show, please do a brother a solid... 

I'm not a fan of pirate sites, so you didn't get this one from me. But enjoy if you decide to try it!

https://theflixer.tv/watch-tv/watch-the-toys-that-built-america-full-90529.10071514

November 7, 2023 11:11 pm  #4

Caught the last 20 minutes of. the show.

It was enjoyable

Little known fun fact

I knew Trivial Pursuit cofounder/co inventor Scott Abbot pre board game

If I'd only known then what I know now!

Know what I mean?

LOL!!

November 8, 2023 8:18 am  #5

The U.S. History Channel has produced several other similar series including The Food That Built America and The Mega-Brands That Built America.

November 8, 2023 8:25 am  #6

I've seen some of these, and they're all great. They trace the origins of companies and products everyone knows - the Pepsi and Coke wars and how both soft drinks came to be, the beginnings of McDonald's and Burger King and the rise of Costco from a small store in the U.S. 

The one thing every one of them has in common is that at some point there's a line where the narrator intones, "He didn't know it yet, but that $100 investment in 1907 would lead to a business empire estimated to be worth $167 billion today." It shows up in every episode. 

November 8, 2023 10:43 am  #7

I love Trivial Pursuit so this doc is right up my alley. I missed it, but according to my Bell Fibe guide, it repeats on History tonight (Wednesday Nov. 8th) at 8 and again next Wednesday, November 15th at 2 pm and 11 pm.