sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2023 10:24 pm  #1

Former Buffalo & Chicago Radio Legend Dick Biondi Gone At 90

He was one of the original voices of WKBW's heralded rock era and was later a fixture in Chicago radio. Dick Biondi has died. The sad news comes as the so-called "Wild I-tralian" was the subject of a new documentary on his life and career

He was a pioneering DJ for the early Top 40 era and spent a few years at 'KB, before being fired after jokingly telling people to throw stones at his boss's car following a dispute between the two men. Teenage listeners, of course, did just that and before he knew it, Biondi was on his way to the Windy City where he became a true legend. 

Dick Biondi was 90 years old. 

Chicago radio legend Dick Biondi dies at age 90

July 1, 2023 10:27 pm  #2

Re: Former Buffalo & Chicago Radio Legend Dick Biondi Gone At 90

Dale Patterson's always wonderful Rockradioscrapbook has some vintage Biondi from WCFL back in 1964.

July 2, 2023 2:41 am  #3

I am so sorry and sad to hear this news. When I was a teenager this man had a huge influence on me and my dreams. Got to spend some much valued time together at Rock Hall. And Godspeed....

July 2, 2023 6:58 am  #4

Article says he was Buffalo's Big Noise at WEBR. I thought his time in Buffalo was at KB.

July 2, 2023 7:15 am  #5

He was at both. He started in Buffalo at KB before he got fired and went to WEBR after that. He didn't stay there that long and wound up in Chicago, where the rest, as they say, is history. 

In fact, he had quite the radio resume. Here's the list of places Biondi worked during his long career. Pretty impressive. 

July 3, 2023 3:20 pm  #6

Former WLS jock (and one-time CFTR morning man) John Landecker remembers Dick Biondi, who he says was always worried about being fired. Perhaps the fact he kept bad mouthing management on air was part of the reason for his paranoia!

Worth noting the interviewer is another Chicago radio great, Bob Sirott. 

John Landecker remembers working with Dick Biondi

July 3, 2023 4:02 pm  #7

Strange. I was wondering about him just last week. I remember him from both KB and WLS.

RIP, Dick.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 4, 2023 8:58 am  #8

Art Vuolo, who chronicles Top 40 radio and is an amazing historian of the medium, has put together a 12-minute behind-the-scenes tribute to the late Dick Biondi. It's filled with a host of other great Chicago personalities whose names you may know, like John Landecker and Ron Britain. Also fun to watch Biondi work the board at WJMK in the days of carts and before everything was done by computer.

If you're not familiar with the late jock's work, this gives you a pretty good idea of why he was so beloved. 

See it here

July 7, 2023 10:51 pm  #9

Biondi's departure from WLS was shrouded in mystery.

Back then, I was a big fan. Listened every night. Yes, even as a teenager I didn't have a  life. Sat in listening to the radio evry night, just like now.

But suddenly, one night, Dick Biondi was gone, without a word. About a week later, his on air replacement informed the listeners that Biondi and the station's management had some kind of disagreement and had decided to part company.

That was it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 13, 2023 9:17 am  #10

Just in case anyone is interested, Rewound Radio is going to do a six hour tribute to Biondi at noon on Saturday, with a ton of familiar names.

You can stream it for free here.