sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2024 2:34 pm  #1

Worst CRTC decisions

Back in 1988 CKEY 590 and CKO 99.1 applied to swap frequencies. CKEY had shortsightedly neglected to acquire an FM sister station in the 50s or 60s when frequencies were readily available and had a shrinking audience on AM and CKO found being on FM was a bad fit and that it was cut off from many commuters who might want to tune in an all-news station but couldn't since many cars only had AM.

The CRTC illogicaly rejected the swap and both stations were doomed as a result.

Can you think of other CRTC decisions that in retrospect were monumentally stupid?

Last edited by Hansa (March 24, 2024 4:39 pm)

March 24, 2024 3:51 pm  #2

Re: Worst CRTC decisions

Allowing Bell to buy stations count??

March 24, 2024 3:52 pm  #3

Yes.....allowing Bell to own radio stations.

March 24, 2024 3:52 pm  #4

CRTC buying into engineering doublespeak and allowing CBLT at 740 to move to 99.1 based on 'better coverage'.  There were other factors at play in that one, that's for sure.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 24, 2024 4:07 pm  #5

I agree with all of these. The almost automatic awarding of 99.1, the last prime FM frequency in Toronto, to the CBC, without seemingly considering anyone else's application, was outrageous. Yes, there was electrical interference in some places for 740. But the signal reaches all the way down to Florida at night. I will never believe the fabricated excuse that people in Toronto couldn't hear it. 

And I know I'll be attacked mercilessly for this one, but the CanCon decision has always bothered me. I will maintain until my dying day that government has no business dictating what should or shouldn't be played on this country's airwaves. 

Having said that, however, I have to reluctantly acknowledge that it worked. The Canadian music industry is thriving and doing well. And that success may well be enough of a reason to finally remove or at least relax those edicts. I honestly don't believe for a second that reducing or even eliminating CanCon rules would see stations suddenly stop playing music by The Weeknd, Drake, The Arkells, Talk, Walk Off The Earth or dozens and dozens of other  artists, who are successful because their music is good and popular, not because of their nationality. 

The law worked. It's well past time to see how Canuck musicians would do without that forced safety net. 

March 24, 2024 4:24 pm  #6

Here's the CRTC decision on that CKEY-CKO deal that never happened. It's a fascinating document.

The Commission at the time gave a detailed explanation of why they turned it down, but a lot of it looks pretty specious in hindsight. It agrees, for example, that it would almost certainly have benefitted both stations. The fact that the owners of CKO had failed to meet certain targets was cited as one reason. CKO stated a lack of funds had kept the network from building studios in parts of the west, as promised. CKEY was willing to give them a huge infusion of money to get the swap and let them build the new facilities. But the CRTC said no. 

If you read the release, it's plain that CKEY was honest with the CRTC - it was not trying to bring a new format or station to the then-current FM dial. Just an existing one on a different band. But again, the Commission wouldn't hear of it. 

"...The Commission finds that Key has proposed a new FM station whose format would not be substantially different from what is already available on existing FM stations in the Toronto market. This result is likely due to Key's desire to transfer its existing AM format to the FM band with as few changes as possible. In the Commission's view, the following comments made by Key at the hearing tend to support this conclusion:

It wasn't our intention to try to look totally different from everybody else on the FM band. We did this on the basis of trying to be transparent. Of trying not to introduce a new radio station into Toronto...

We looked at that number (68% of music from subcategory 51)...You know, it looked like we were almost a Group 1, and the answer to that is very simple. That is precisely what we are and that is the most transparent move we can make."

And then there was that old immovable object, CanCon:

"The Commission notes that Key has proposed a level of only 20% for Canadian content music; this is the minimum allowable for most FM stations, and is 10% less than the level currently broadcast on CKEY by regulation.

Furthermore, as proposed by the applicant in its Promise of Performance, the number of selections per day to be broadcast on the FM station would be lower than the number played on its existing AM station. Taking into account the proposed reduction in Canadian content from 30% to 20%, this would result in at least 10,000 fewer Canadian selections being broadcast per year on the proposed FM station than are currently broadcast on CKEY."

So instead, they allowed both of them to go out of business. Exactly how did that help broaden the scope of programming on the Toronto radio dial? I honestly believe both would still be on the air today if they'd agreed to the swap. Short-sighted and the listeners are the ultimate losers. 

CRTC CKEY-CKO Announcement, April, 25, 1988

March 24, 2024 5:11 pm  #7

I think the worst decision by the CRTC was allowing the conglomerates to own all (or almost all) of their affiliated television stations. 

This has killed local TV across the country, and gutted local advertising.  There has not been one benefit to the public in this arrangement.  Affiliates of CTV, CBC, Global, City are for the most part owned and operated by head office with the same programming 24/7.  Only a few affiliated stations are independently owned and only a few more are independent with no network attached to them. 

The CRTC should never have listened to the lobbying from the large corporations pleading that they needed the synergies of owning all of the stations to be profitable and to be big enough to compete.  Didn't really work out that way. In all of this I blame the conglomerates as much as the CRTC. 

Bell owns 35 OTA stations across the country with all of them producing virtually nothing other than fewer and fewer newscasts.  All of the broadcast day other than the local casts are available for network programming and sales.  Bad set up. Same for Rogers, Corus, City and CBC. 

March 24, 2024 5:21 pm  #8

The one that always irked me was the denial of TV Niagara in 2005. It was basically killed by an intervention from CanWest, which owned CHCH at the time.

The CRTC had no problem, however, allowing rebroadcast transmitters for CKVR in that area a few years later.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (March 24, 2024 5:22 pm)

March 24, 2024 5:23 pm  #9

Doesn't help that the CRTC is largely made up of people basically on secondment from Bell, Rogers, and Corus.

March 24, 2024 5:30 pm  #10

Yep. Hard to disagree with those who condemn allowing Bell and Rogers etc. from controlling so many stations and essentially driving many of them into the ground. It was not hard to see this coming. But as noted, because of the make-up of the CRTC, there is willful blindness when it comes to these companies, who basically are allowed to get away with just about anything they want over and over again.

Another failure on the CRTC's part? Skinny basic cable, which was deliberately manipulated by the cable companies to offer the worst package possible, to ensure no one took it. The Commission didn't care and essentially let it fade into obscurity.

The CRTC keeps insisting that it's trying to be more consumer friendly. 

Their decisions suggest exactly the opposite.

March 24, 2024 5:53 pm  #11

The CRTC decision to stop CKLW from moving their BIG 8 format to FM. The logic  being the Top 40 belongs on AM and the beautiful music  belongs on FM.

March 24, 2024 7:51 pm  #12

The denial of a FM licence for Cabin Radio Yellowknife

March 24, 2024 8:10 pm  #13

andysradio wrote:

The denial of a FM licence for Cabin Radio Yellowknife

They may yet get what they're looking for. In case you missed it. 

But you're right - the original decision was somewhat baffling. 

March 25, 2024 8:55 am  #14

Most people forget that CKO was licensed as a national all-news network, not just the Toronto outlet. It had a local morning show in Toronto, but was committed to carrying network programming for much of the rest of the day and on the weekends. With no local traffic, news or weather outside of morning drive, I have a hard time believing it would have developed much of an audience even if it had been given the AM slot. The CRTC decision may seem "specious", but I doubt even a positive verdict would have prevented the eventual failure of the network. 

March 25, 2024 9:07 am  #15

I certainly agree with you about the network aspect of CKO (or CK-Zero, as some former employees I know used to call it!) The news most important to people is local - the accident that impedes traffic, the fire in your neighbourhood, the Gardiner construction that will last three years, etc. - and while CKO did have local breaks, I always thought the focus on national news overall was a huge mistake. 

I think they would have eventually realized that and the Toronto station - had it survived - might have shifted focus and become more like a CityNews 680. What 680 would be doing now had CKO succeeded is anyone's guess, but there are several markets that have two all-news stations. 

I just wish the CRTC hadn't been so bullheaded and given two Toronto outlets the chance to compete and survive. CKEY saw the writing on the wall for music on AM and it would possibly have given Toronto its very first all oldies station on the band. And CKO would have had a better reach on 590. We'll never know what might have been, but as a onetime CKEY staffer (long before the FM request), I would have liked to have seen them try.

March 25, 2024 9:24 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

I just wish the CRTC hadn't been so bullheaded and given two Toronto outlets the chance to compete and survive. CKEY saw the writing on the wall for music on AM and it would possibly have given Toronto its very first all oldies station on the band. And CKO would have had a better reach on 590. We'll never know what might have been, but as a onetime CKEY staffer (long before the FM request), I would have liked to have seen them try.

Two things:

1) Back in those days, FM in Toronto was required to play 49% non hits.
2) What were the ratings for the late great Zed 97.3 back then?
This is the closest example of what CKEY may have been forced to sound like if it were to have moved to FM.

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 25, 2024 9:25 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 25, 2024 12:50 pm  #17

In retrospect, it's pretty obvious that CKO's business plan was flawed. Rather than trying to be network news (a radio CNN though CKO actually predated CNN by three years) they should have focussed on local news, weather, traffic, and scores with only a few, if any, national shows, probably in off-peak hours. Running half a dozen local stations with full staff complements would have been much more expensive than syndicating shows nationally though and they probably would have had to build up to 6 or 7 stations over several years rather than open them all within 1 year - but it's possible CKO would still be around if they had taken a build-local-first approach. 

March 25, 2024 1:06 pm  #18

I know several people who worked there and they said it was run on the extreme cheap. In those pre-computer days, they were often forced to work with tape that had so much splicing tape in it, it was more all splice and no tape. When they tried to get new material ordered, they were told it was coming - but somehow, it never arrived. 

I have a lot of favourite stories about CKO and they all seem to centre on people quitting the place, (including this classic I originally told here in 2015.) But this one is also great.

There was a woman there who served in an off-air role and, like many of the employees, one day she'd simply had enough of low pay, too much responsibility and broken promises. So she decided to give her notice. She went searching for someone - anyone - in management, but after looking for half an hour, couldn't find a single one of them. 

I remember talking to her that afternoon, as she wailed into the phone one of the greatest phrases in broadcasting history. "There's no one to quit to!"

March 25, 2024 2:05 pm  #19

CKO's problems were literally too numerous to mention. It had no local tie-ins with either CTV or Global for local news content and didn't subscribe to Broadcast News, which was the forerunner to the current Canadian Press broadcast wire. It's only source of international news was the UPI radio wire and its accompanying audio service, which featured harried print reporters trying to be radio news people. CKO gave national exposure to a host of great journalists, including Bernie MacNamee, Jim Morris, John Anderson and Simon Dingley, but ultimately, it couldn't overcome indifferent management and poor business practices.

It's worth noting that station staff in the Toronto office were abruptly told on the closure day that the station would be signing off shortly after the 2:00 pm National newscast and they were, under no circumstances, to mention the closure on the air. At the end of the cast, the newsreader mentioned that this was the last day of operations at CKO and went on to thank past and current staff members for their hard work and dedication, etc. When he got off the air, he was confronted by a raging mad manager and simply told him: "What are you going to do? Fire me?"

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (March 25, 2024 2:11 pm)

March 25, 2024 2:12 pm  #20

The "Toronto One" TV network decision was also a bad one.  Over the Air television was already in decline.  Licensing the Craig family from Bandon MB to operate a S. Ontario network made absolutely no economic sense.  Some "social engineering" by the CRTC to try and make a small regional player, into a quasi National player.  I can't ever remember tuning to any programs on Toronto One.  Perhaps someone on this board has a recollection of compelling Canadian programming that they watched on that station.

March 25, 2024 2:31 pm  #21

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

It's worth noting that station staff in the Toronto office were abruptly told on the closure day that the station would be signing off shortly after the 2:00 pm National newscast and they were, under no circumstances, to mention the closure on the air. At the end of the cast, the newsreader mentioned that this was the last day of operations at CKO and went on to thank past and current staff members for their hard work and dedication, etc. When he got off the air, he was confronted by a raging mad manager and simply told him: "What are you going to do? Fire me?" 

But perhaps the best part of the story is that they were scooped on their own demise. Just before that final broadcast, CKEY had its own news one minute early and disclosed the impending closure of the all news network, which is where I first heard it.

So in true incompetent CKO fashion, they even got beaten on their final story ever, in what should have been their own - and last - exclusive!

Somehow it was the most appropriate way it could have ended.

March 26, 2024 11:08 am  #22

tvguy wrote:

The "Toronto One" TV network decision was also a bad one.  Over the Air television was already in decline.  Licensing the Craig family from Bandon MB to operate a S. Ontario network made absolutely no economic sense.  Some "social engineering" by the CRTC to try and make a small regional player, into a quasi National player.  I can't ever remember tuning to any programs on Toronto One.  Perhaps someone on this board has a recollection of compelling Canadian programming that they watched on that station.

From Wikipedia:
"CKXT went to air on September 19, 2003 as the first new general-interest television station in Toronto in 30 years. Toronto 1 proved, however, to be a financial and critical disaster for Craig. The station was frequently criticized in the Toronto media, particularly for flashy but vacuous and repetitive local content, newscasts that had a tabloid feel, an uninspired daytime schedule laden with American talk shows and an equally uninspired prime time schedule based heavily on movies, much like CHUM's longstanding Citytv. Columnist Russell Smith of The Globe and Mail called Toronto 1 an "abject, wretched excuse for a television station" whose only truly locally-focused programming was a trio of celebrity-focused talk shows and a health-issues show."