sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2015 12:36 pm  #1

Does This Mean They Can Swear On Sesame Street?

Well, I never thought I'd live to see this happen, but it has - HBO has announced a five year deal to air the classic kids' TV series "Sesame Street" for the next five years. Not only do they get hold of one of the biggest franchises in broadcasting history, but it means there will be more episodes produced and PBS will get to air them as well for free within nine months of the new ones being on the paycable network.

I don't know. When I hear the brand HBO, I think of "The Wire," "Veep," "The Sopranos" or "Boardwalk Empire" not Grover, Elmo or The Count. While I'm sure they won't touch a thing that made this program a leader in its field, I can only imagine what changes HBO would make if it could. "Today's show was brought to you by the letter "S," which stands for "shit." Something you don't want to get into. And by the "F-word," something daddy says when he hits his thumb with the hammer."

And does this mean Bert and Ernie can finally come out of the closet? And will it give a new meaning to the name "Big Bird?" Strange bedfellows, indeed (and I don't mean Bert and Ernie.)

No immediate word if HBO Canada also gets the show, although I'm assuming it will air there on this side of the border, as well.  

HBO and 'Sesame Street' Enter Five-Year Deal

Last edited by RadioActive (August 13, 2015 12:37 pm)

August 13, 2015 8:33 pm  #2

Re: Does This Mean They Can Swear On Sesame Street?

My question would have been are they launching an HBO Kids??

Oh, and before someone else says it...
Sesame Street has been brought to you today by the letters H, B, and O... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 13, 2015 8:39 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 13, 2015 9:23 pm  #3

^ Funny Radiowiz 

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 13, 2015 9:49 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

My question would have been are they launching an HBO Kids??

Oh, and before someone else says it...
Sesame Street has been brought to you today by the letters H, B, and O... 

Actually that's how they intro'd the story on NBC Nightly News at 6:55 PM. So someone did think of it!

The U.S. has many different versions of HBO, including one called "HBO Family," which as the name implies has clean, family friendly shows and movies. That's likely where it's going.

August 13, 2015 9:52 pm  #5

Can't wait for the crossover episode with the Sopranos.

RadioActive wrote:

Well, I never thought I'd live to see this happen, but it has - HBO has announced a five year deal to air the classic kids' TV series "Sesame Street" for the next five years.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 14, 2015 2:46 am  #6

rumor has it, hbo will be making a few name changes to some of the program's characters. example: "bigger than ever bird" and gordon's name will change to mary (with more changes on the way).