sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2024 8:05 pm  #1

What Did This Statement On CFRB Mean?

There was a very odd moment on CFRB's "NewsTalk Tonight" on Thursday, just before the 8 PM newsbreak. Host Jim Richards was talking to a frequent guest, Moshe Lander, an Economics Prof. at Concordia University. The two have obviously become friends and at the end of their discussion, with the music playing them out, Lander appeared to congratulate Jim on what was coming in his future. 

Richards response was, "That's not public yet." 

What do you suppose that means? Are they finally going to name a permanent host for The Rush and could it be Richards? This is total speculation on my part and I could be totally wrong (as proven way too many times in the past few weeks!) but it definitely sounded like something is up with the long time host. The questions are what - and when will they announce whatever it is?

July 4, 2024 8:16 pm  #2

Re: What Did This Statement On CFRB Mean?

RadioActive wrote:

The questions are what - and when will they announce whatever it is?

When a tree falls in the forest, and no one's around to hear, does it make a noise?

July 4, 2024 10:12 pm  #3

I heard Jerry Agar say on Thursday that CFRB is the highest rated talk station in Canada. 

Can that possibly be true? 

After all, they come in with about a 2 almost every book, which puts them near the bottom of Toronto radio ratings. I know there's a bigger population here than elsewhere, but don't CJAD in Montreal and CKNW in Vancouver do much better than 1010?  

How can that claim possibly be accurate?

July 4, 2024 10:13 pm  #4

Jim Richards apparently just continues to lead a charmed life at 1010.
I really know of no other radio personality who starts off on overnights, then graduates to evenings, then gets to do afternoon drive, only to be relegated back to late nights-overnights.
Then back to???
And, of course all the while continuing to mispronounce names, forget what he has to announce, and not be able to handle many talk show subjects for lack of experience or knowledge.
Weird.
Years ago I met someone who worked at 1010 and knew Jim Richards and I asked him how JR just keeps getting breaks there.
His rather strange reply was, "He's just a funny guy."

July 5, 2024 6:33 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

There was a very odd moment on CFRB's "NewsTalk Tonight" on Thursday, just before the 8 PM newsbreak. Host Jim Richards was talking to a frequent guest, Moshe Lander, an Economics Prof. at Concordia University. The two have obviously become friends and at the end of their discussion, with the music playing them out, Lander appeared to congratulate Jim on what was coming in his future. 

What do you suppose that means?

I also caught this last night, very odd but it is probably related to him hosting “The Rush”. Mind you, I do enjoy his “NewsTalk Tonight” show, will miss that if he moves to afternoons.

Last edited by Shorty Wave (July 5, 2024 6:34 am)

July 5, 2024 8:27 am  #6

Shorty Wave wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

What do you suppose that means?

I also caught this last night, very odd but it is probably related to him hosting “The Rush”. Mind you, I do enjoy his “NewsTalk Tonight” show, will miss that if he moves to afternoons.

I haven't paid much attention to 'The Resh' since her disastrous tenure.  Putting the generally unfunny and clueless Jimberly into that slot won't change that, but at least it's not Tory.

July 5, 2024 8:34 am  #7

Just want to reiterate giving Richards the afternoon slot is total speculation on my part. It's the only shift that's been open for months and months, so it seems a logical guess. But that's all it is.

At the same time, it's long past the due date to name a replacement. They've had guest hosts in that slot for what feels like an eternity. I've never seen such a long interim gap in such an important time period. Especially in the biggest market in Canada. 

It's clear Reshmi Nair is not coming back. No matter what the reason, leaving it unhosted this long is simply ridiculous.

July 5, 2024 8:48 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for pointing out this moment, odd indeed. The audio from that first hour of the show can be found here for anyone who missed it and one can go to the very end of the audio timeline (37:50 forward of the 38:28 clip):

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/962-newstalk-tonight-59146123/episode/thursday-july-4-hour-1-192282693/

Last edited by AspectRatio (July 5, 2024 8:50 am)