sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2024 9:13 am  #1

Ben Mulroney Is Growing On Me During AM640 Fill-ins

I have to admit I never paid much attention to Ben Mulroney in his TV days. I always thought of him as a fairly vapid entertainment reporter who asked the same kinds of questions as everyone else. 

But now that I've had a chance to hear him as a fill-in on AM640 - he's subbing for Greg Brady on the morning show this week - I've changed my mind. You may not always agree with his opinions, but he makes them cogently and he's pretty interesting when he expresses them.

The other thing I like is an insight into what it's like to be the son of a Prime Minister. (And you didn't have to be a fan of his dad to find what he has to say revealing.) No one else in Canadian radio can offer that particular perspective. 

It's a very good add for 640 and I'm glad they found a slot for him on the weekends. I hope one day he gets a regular 5-day-a-week show, so he'll be on more often. 

For all its problems, 640 has certainly come a long way from the days when it was either Arlene Bynon on fill-in - or a reroll. 

July 3, 2024 5:39 pm  #2

Re: Ben Mulroney Is Growing On Me During AM640 Fill-ins

Ben Mulroney is growing on me as well. You cannot rush experience, and his radio persona and personality grows each time he hosts. What you cannot teach is intelligence and I would argue being the son of a Prime Minister makes him uniquely situated on talk radio to provide a fresh take on issues. I hope he continues.

July 3, 2024 6:19 pm  #3

I have always thought that Ben has a realistic view of where he came from and what's different about him from his father or his politician sister.
He's never tried to say he's some sort of intellectual or political pundit.
What first impressed me about him was when he was starting out in TV entertainment.
I heard him interviewed by a person who was clearly trying to get to him and asked him if he thought he would ever have gotten his job if his father was not a prime minister.
Ben immediately replied that no, he did not think he would have the job, and added, but since I am the son of a prime minister do you think I would not use that to get ahead?
basically he said, you damn bet I did.
Then he went on to prove he really was a very competent entertainment reporter.

July 5, 2024 9:07 am  #4

Ben Mulroney told an amazing story on Friday about when he was a kid and fell in love with Batman comics. When the Batman movie came out, he told his father, the then-P.M., that he absolutely had to be at the premiere and made his dad promise that he'd get to be there, no matter what. 

Sure enough, the day came and inevitably, there was some political event the family had to be at. As the young Mulroney looked at his watch, he realized he wasn't going to make it. As a "professional political kid" he says he didn't make a big deal of it in public, but as the function was ending, he told his father how disappointed he was that he didn't keep his promise to get him to the movie opening. 

And that's when Brian, the P.M. said, "you are going." And with that, they went outside where a helicopter was waiting for the young kid. He got on and choppered over to a landing pad about a block away from the mall where the big opening was taking place. And he made it on time. 

He knows many in the audience hearing that story will point fingers about privilege and waste of taxpayer money - and he was right about that on both counts - but he was proud that his dad somehow managed to keep his word, despite his heavy schedule. 

Now you might hate that story or you might love it. But there's no one else on the radio who could have ever told that personal anecdote. And I'm sure there are a lot of other behind-the-curtain tales he's yet to reveal. Another reason I enjoy him on the air. 

July 5, 2024 9:39 am  #5

RadioActive could not be more correct with his analysis of a Mulroney-hosted show. Love him or hate him, he has stories and experiences that cannot be matched by more than a handful of people on the planet. I think Ben is great and I hope he continues and thrives.

July 5, 2024 3:48 pm  #6

Now I'm disappointed I didn't get a chance to listen to Ben during the week he was filling in but I'd like to check out his show, does anyone know when is he on-air next?

July 5, 2024 4:06 pm  #7

I was also prepared to not like him, but the few times I've listened I've been impressed.

July 5, 2024 4:28 pm  #8

betaylored wrote:

Now I'm disappointed I didn't get a chance to listen to Ben during the week he was filling in but I'd like to check out his show, does anyone know when is he on-air next?

It's a slightly different show than the drivetime morning run, but he's on regularly from 7-10AM on weekends.

July 5, 2024 9:14 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

betaylored wrote:

It's a slightly different show than the drivetime morning run, but he's on regularly from 7-10AM on weekends.

Thanks RA! 😀

Last edited by betaylored (July 5, 2024 9:15 pm)

July 7, 2024 6:53 am  #10

Turns out, you’re going to get more than just this weekend to sample Mulroney’s talents.

On his weekend gig, he revealed that he’ll be doing the morning run on AM640 again all next week, as Greg Brady is off for another seven days. That will be two weeks in a row on the AM drive shift, which tells you that Corus obviously has great confidence in him.

And if that’s not enough, he’ll be front and centre the following week, filling in for John Oakley on the afternoon run. Sounds like that one could be for another two weeks. Which may be why he’s not likely to be on Saturday and Sunday of next week.

So if you're curious about him on-air, you'll get more than one-shot to hear him over the next month. 

July 7, 2024 7:30 am  #11

Is John Oakley on holidays?

July 7, 2024 8:42 am  #12

I believe his time off starts in a week. 

Although given Corus' precarious financial predicaments, I'm not sure I'd want to be away for a few weeks! Who knows what will be there when he gets back!

July 12, 2024 9:03 am  #13

Listening to Ben a bit this week on AM640.  I have never minded him as a broadcaster and generally feel he does a good job.  As others have mentioned, he brings another perspective due to his background.

The only thing he might do is dial it back a bit.  Mulroney is animated on air which is fine, but he does talk fast and seems to get wound up and then stumbles.  Sometimes his thoughts are going faster than he can get the words out.  He doesn't do this all the time but I have noticed it enough that it is something that could be corrected.  Decaff coffee maybe? 

Overall he is pretty good, his topics held my interest when I tuned in and he is good with guests.  AM640 is lucky to have him.