sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2024 4:52 pm  #1

Why Is Radio So Hard To Listen To?

Good question and the answers are both lengthy and born of either cheapness or ignorance. As this former disc jockey notes, there are myriad reasons, including overly long spot sets, poor audio FM processing, too much noise on AM and unnecessary commercial copy clutter.

As he puts it, "Good God, is there no one in the building actually listening to the station?"

June 9, 2024 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Why Is Radio So Hard To Listen To?

RadioActive wrote:

Good question and the answers are both lengthy and born of either cheapness or ignorance. As this former disc jockey notes, there are myriad reasons, including overly long spot sets, poor audio FM processing, too much noise on AM and unnecessary commercial copy clutter.

As he puts it, "Good God, is there no one in the building actually listening to the station?"

One:  Spence Diamonds.  Two:  Desjardine Insurance.  Three:  Anything by Subaru.  Four:  John Moore shilling Jiffy-App to do anything a normal person could do in 3 minutes.

June 9, 2024 7:06 pm  #3

Ken Deutch was also known as KenR, who produced and sold radion station and commercial jingles for several decades out of Toledo, Ohio before turning to writing full time.

June 9, 2024 7:07 pm  #4

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

One:  Spence Diamonds.  Two:  Desjardine Insurance.  Three:  Anything by Subaru.  Four:  John Moore shilling Jiffy-App to do anything a normal person could do in 3 minutes.

I glad I don’t listen to the Toronto stations as much. I live closer to London. But however there is one ad that is annoying and that ad is Matress Depot. I can’t stand that ad.

June 9, 2024 8:15 pm  #5

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I glad I don’t listen to the Toronto stations as much. I live closer to London. But however there is one ad that is annoying and that ad is Matress Depot. I can’t stand that ad.

Every market has at least one. 

June 9, 2024 8:59 pm  #6

Let's see... in no particular order:
1. Cookie cutter brands, formats and playlists, i.e. nothing original or unique to one station
2. Jocks with no personality
3. Over-repetitive and over-annoying commercials
4. Multi-market/out-of-market voice tracking
5. Biased news reporting
6. Phoney and heartless Indigenous land acknowledgements (Indigenous Canadians actually don't approve of these)
7. Improperly programmed automation
8. Bell Media
9. Rogers Sports & Media
10. Corus Entertainment
11. Exceedingly cheap ownership groups that are not publicly traded

June 10, 2024 1:53 am  #7

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Are they still doing the SpongeBob parody?

Last time I was in London and listened to FM96 I heard that one. I remember that commercial in 2017, I remember that commercial 8 years before that…

Another London radio commercial I was surprised to hear when I was home at Christmas was London Major Appliances. Their jingle dates back to the early days of the Obama administration.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (June 10, 2024 1:54 am)

June 10, 2024 8:47 am  #8

June 11, 2024 11:26 pm  #9

MJ Vancouver wrote:

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Walter wrote:

Are they still doing the SpongeBob parody?

Last time I was in London and listened to FM96 I heard that one. I remember that commercial in 2017, I remember that commercial 8 years before that…

Another London radio commercial I was surprised to hear when I was home at Christmas was London Major Appliances. Their jingle dates back to the early days of the Obama administration.

I think they still do the SpongeBob parody. But I tune the station to something else a bit then tune back to the station I was listening to. I didn’t know that the London Major Appliances jingle dates back to the early days of the Obama administration.
Another ad that I have found annoying lately is the Handy Bros ad that you hear on the radio and on CTV London during the newscasts. I don’t think it’s that bad when the person named Mitch from Handy Bros is speaking. But they have to play that annoying tune at the end of the ad.

June 12, 2024 11:48 am  #10

Will Monaghan Lumber ever get a new ad?
I'm sure most people have no idea the singer is doing a Johnny Cash impression.  Johnny who?
A new ad that makes me shake my head is the one for Magic Windows where a man with a sneering voice asks you if you miss dial up modems, changing TV channels by getting up off the coach or dot matrix printers.
He says all this while no sound effects play in the background.  No dial up sound, or dot matrix audio etc.
ITS RADIO, you moron!!!!
So much for that rant -- but I'll feel better when I'm wearing my tennis bracelet for 15 hundred dollars.

June 12, 2024 12:54 pm  #11

newsguy1 wrote:

"Monaghan Lumber... king of the woods!" If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Feeling fortunate that I'm in an area that doesn't really have any annoying/over-repetitive radio ads, other than the occasional Spence spot on Ottawa stations... and the screechy sing of "NO-BODY DEEEEEEALS... LIKE DILAWRI!" in the :60's for the various Dilawri dealerships in Ottawa's south end.

June 12, 2024 7:20 pm  #12

newsguy1 wrote:

I'm sure most people have no idea the singer is doing a Johnny Cash impression.  Johnny who?
A new ad that makes me shake my head is the one for Magic Windows where a man with a sneering voice asks you if you miss dial up modems, changing TV channels by getting up off the coach or dot matrix printers.
He says all this while no sound effects play in the background.  No dial up sound, or dot matrix audio etc.
ITS RADIO, you moron!!!!
So much for that rant -- but I'll feel better when I'm wearing my tennis bracelet for 15 hundred dollars.

at least they told us the story behind the tennis bracelet name... what's next, Spence creating the 750.00 version and calling it the pickle ball bracelet?

radio desperately needs more on-air talent with actual pipes, people who have "a voice for radio." I've changed stations at times during certain "announcers" traffic reports because nasal voices with crummy diction are not pleasant to listen to....

Last edited by betaylored (June 12, 2024 7:31 pm)

June 12, 2024 8:00 pm  #13

betaylored wrote:

at least they told us the story behind the tennis bracelet name... what's next, Spence creating the 750.00 version and calling it the pickle ball bracelet?

radio desperately needs more on-air talent with actual pipes, people who have "a voice for radio." I've changed stations at times during certain "announcers" traffic reports because nasal voices with crummy diction are not pleasant to listen to....

The pickleball bracelet!

I second betaylored's second paragraph... the medium needs more true radio voices, and that extends into TV, podcasts and social media. Not to self-promote, but yours truly is a 40 y.o. freelancer whose voice is currently only used for PA for a couple of junior hockey teams... also includes years of Toastmasters experience. Feel free to message me if interested in a demo.

Last edited by Forward Power (June 12, 2024 8:00 pm)

June 13, 2024 11:50 am  #14

Radio hard to listen to, but apparently Alex Pierson does not find it hard to listen to herself.
Was listening to her show this morning in the car as she berated Trudeau in a long rant.
She then paused and said, with embarrassment, that she forgot she had a caller on the line.
Her producer had to remind her through her earphone it seems.
To her credit she apologized to the listener who she had left in the dust, admitting she had got lost in her own inward thoughts.
The caller was nice enough to accept her apology.

June 13, 2024 11:59 am  #15

newsguy1 wrote:

Radio hard to listen to, but apparently Alex Pierson does not find it hard to listen to herself.
Was listening to her show this morning in the car as she berated Trudeau in a long rant.
She then paused and said, with embarrassment, that she forgot she had a caller on the line.
Her producer had to remind her through her earphone it seems.
To her credit she apologized to the listener who she had left in the dust, admitting she had got lost in her own inward thoughts.
The caller was nice enough to accept her apology.

Then, once the caller finally got on, she just talked over him anyway, as usual.

June 14, 2024 2:21 pm  #16

Here's an opinion you might not have expected to hear. 

June 14, 2024 2:40 pm  #17

He sure had a face for radio, though.

June 14, 2024 4:23 pm  #18

Well, it IS Tesla, so maybe it's a car radio. (But no AM.)