sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2015 12:40 pm  #1

Kim Mitchell gone from Q107

(Via 1236)

Another Q107 host gets going. Q107 laid off three hosts earlier this week—Dominik Diamond, Nails Mahoney and Jeff Woods—and now Kim Mitchell, hired in 2004, is leaving after today's afternoon drive shift. 

Tweet

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 31, 2015 4:20 pm  #2

Re: Kim Mitchell gone from Q107

Well what's the 20-40-60 equation again?

If you've worked somewhere for at least 20 years.
If your over 40 years of age.
If your making over 60 thousand dollars a year

YOU'RE GONE!

In Kim's case he was open about leaving next year to move to the west coast.  Sounds like they helped him make his move earlier than expected?

July 31, 2015 6:53 pm  #3

Really?

Credibility?

No...Good in the long run?

No.

Format change coming soon?

Likely

As Souls?

Yes.

July 31, 2015 9:49 pm  #4

Old Codger wrote:

Really?

Format change coming soon?

Yes.

One clue that there may indeed be a format change is the fact that they have not scrubbed the web site yet and perhaps it will be a total redesign, if there is a format change hope it's not going to be the 19th hot ac/chr/fresh in the market. 
Might they risk triple A ?
Country might be an option ?
Whatever it is I hope they are able to retain some of the staff.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 31, 2015 10:24 pm  #5

Maureen Halloway claiming to be returning in August:

http://www.q107.com/maureenholloway/

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 31, 2015 11:14 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 1, 2015 1:10 am  #6

Unfortunately, these days, "I'll be back in a couple of weeks" doesn't mean a damnned thing in radio.

Something's up.  I just wonder what they're going to do.  And I'm afraid of who's next.

Maybe Corus should just sell the radio group to an outfit that actually cares.

August 1, 2015 8:42 am  #7

Kim Mitchell started out a little rough (but that's because he had never really done radio as a regular on-air host before).  Q107 even gave him a female co-host for a bit to help him out...but in my opinion, he turned out to be a great jock (with musical insights most simply don't have because of who he is).  

Don't know Dominik Diamond or Nails Mahoney, but Jeff Woods is a friend who I've worked with on radio projects for years.  He is so talented that I'm hoping he'll get snapped up by some broadcasting company in Canada that actually cares about their listeners.  Corus obviously no longer does.       

August 1, 2015 8:47 am  #8

I've noticed that since the house cleaning this week, that the promos for Derringer are for him only, not "John Derringer & Maureen Halloway".

August 1, 2015 2:11 pm  #9

Oh geez, now I'm wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the female co-host.

I do remember seeing him in the fishbowl studio at the Hard Rock Cafe looking pretty restless when he first started.  Talk about baptism by fire.  (Are those fishbowls _ever_ a good idea?)

August 1, 2015 4:13 pm  #10

Carly Klassen

Peter the K wrote:

Oh geez, now I'm wracking my brains trying to remember the name of the female co-host. 

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 1, 2015 7:34 pm  #11

Yes, it was Carly. She was a hold over when Jeff Brown went to Ottawa. She followed him there about a year later. She was a big help to Kim at first, as she knew the formatics of doing drive.

I worked with Kim during my Q years and he was a very solid guy, and he got better and better as a jock as the years went by. I don't think anyone, including Kim himself, could have predicted an 11 year run. That's impressive to me.

Last edited by Andy Burns (August 1, 2015 7:35 pm)

August 1, 2015 8:54 pm  #12

I also remember embittered people here complaining when he was hired because he had no radio background.

Note to whiners: you were wrong. He became very good and very listenable, and brought something to Q that none of you could. 

Listened to a lot of the first hour or so - seemed like a lot of music with very little KM or commercials.

August 1, 2015 8:57 pm  #13

And the thanks...after 11 years of only making the product better?

Bye Bye.

You better figure out a way to set up your own pension 'cause by and large...in radio...when you're closin' in on those 20/40/60 numbers...you're done.  Z'matter of fact it the numbers add up to 120 in any order or formula...Toodles.

Just startin' out?  Sock that dough away.  You'll need it later.  I followed Kim's rapid develpment over the years.  He was a real asset.  Whoever decided to fire him...and EVERYONE who signed off on it?  They're just real asses.  Asses who make the industry the joke it has become.  Who in their right mind would aim for a job working for these clowns?

Only a fool.

Don't 'do' radio.  It has almost NO security.

August 1, 2015 10:00 pm  #14

ig wrote:

Carly Klassen

Peter the K wrote:

Thank you.  Never really entered my mind until this discussion and then suddenly I got stuck on trying to remember the name.  Hate when that happens.

I can sleep now.