sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2015 11:28 pm  #1

Charles Adler Quits Corus After Station Cuts

This is more about their station in Winnipeg, but after the recent post here about Corus cuts and the fact that this guy was both a local host on CFRB for a while and later helmed a nationwide show on his now former employer's network, some here might be interested. You know that when anyone uses the "I want to be closer to my family" excuse for leaving, there's a lot more at play. 

The second half of the linked article is interesting and proves that while Winnipeg may be an entirely different market than the GTA, there are some things they share in common. 

"Lindsey Anderson ... is a former reporter with CJOB and said a major problem is media companies trying to paint all of their affiliates with the same brush.“I think branding is appropriate for shoes and purses and athletic equipment, but ... I don’t think you have to bring every radio station across the country that is owned under one name all into line to sound the same,” Anderson said. “What works for your brand in one city doesn’t mean it’s going to fly in another city.”

Amen sister.

Adler quitting, CJOB layoffs sign that change needed in radio

Audio: Adler confirms signs off plans

Last edited by RadioActive (July 30, 2015 11:32 pm)

July 31, 2015 12:07 pm  #2

Re: Charles Adler Quits Corus After Station Cuts

Lindsey's sentiments are correct. Unfortunately, that ship sailed when the CRTC allowed multiplicity of ownership in markets.

August 1, 2015 1:12 am  #3

Re: Charles Adler Quits Corus After Station Cuts

It's rare that a radio person gets to say a proper goodbye, let alone gives their listeners a whole week's notice.  I'll have to tune in again (via the web) for that last week if I can.

But one does get a vibe of "get out while the gettin' is good" from this whole thing.