sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 28, 2024 3:44 pm  #1

Jack Berkovits Gets A Promotion (?) On Sauga960

One of the odder personalities on GTA radio has announced he's getting an upgrade. In a promo running on Sauga960, Jack Berkovits has confirmed he's changing time slots on the Mississauga station, going from 1 PM Wednesday-Friday to a 5-day a week run at 9 -11 AM. 

There's no immediate word on what happens to the shows that are there now, a program hosted by Norm Murray at 9 and what appears to be rotating paid shows in the following hour, or what will take his place in his former time slot. 

In a typically braggadocious way, he claims his ratings have been so amazing in his 3-day a week afternoon spot that the station had no choice but to promote him to a better time slot, following morning man Marc Patrone. (More on him in a moment.)

I don't listen often, but so far, I've heard Mr. Berkovits claim to be a businessman, a broadcaster, a rabbi, an accountant, a professor, a lecturer and even a marriage counselor. I leave it to you to distinguish how many of those claims are true. 

Meanwhile, morning host Marc Patrone has finally returned to Canada after some 3-plus years in "exile" in Florida, where he claimed to be fleeing government persecution because of the pandemic. He's back in Toronto now, driving here from the Sunshine State a few weeks ago. Why did he return? Turns out he has an illness that required an operation, so he hustled back to Canada, presumably to take advantage of our free health care. 

What a strange place that Sauga960 is. 

May 28, 2024 4:23 pm  #2

Re: Jack Berkovits Gets A Promotion (?) On Sauga960

RadioActive wrote:

One of the odder personalities on GTA radio has announced he's getting an upgrade. In a promo running on Sauga960, Jack Berkovits has confirmed he's changing time slots on the Mississauga station, going from 1 PM Wednesday-Friday to a 5-day a week run at 9 -11 AM. 

There's no immediate word on what happens to the shows that are there now, a program hosted by Norm Murray at 9 and what appears to be rotating paid shows in the following hour, or what will take his place in his former time slot. 

In a typically braggadocious way, he claims his ratings have been so amazing in his 3-day a week afternoon spot that the station had no choice but to promote him to a better time slot, following morning man Marc Patrone. (More on him in a moment.)

I don't listen often, but so far, I've heard Mr. Berkovits claim to be a businessman, a broadcaster, a rabbi, an accountant, a professor, a lecturer and even a marriage counselor. I leave it to you to distinguish how many of those claims are true. 

Meanwhile, morning host Marc Patrone has finally returned to Canada after some 3-plus years in "exile" in Florida, where he claimed to be fleeing government persecution because of the pandemic. He's back in Toronto now, driving here from the Sunshine State a few weeks ago. Why did he return? Turns out he has an illness that required an operation, so he hustled back to Canada, presumably to take advantage of our free health care. 

What a strange place that Sauga960 is. 

I look forward to the day that 'Harold the Jewellery Buyer' has a competing show with Jack's.  The result would be explosive.

May 28, 2024 7:33 pm  #3

Jack Berkovits is so weird, and Sauga owners must know what his reputation is and be ready for the risks.
Who knows what crazy things he might end up saying -- maybe opening them up to legal problems.
But I guess they are prepared to deal with that when it comes.
I am reminded of a case in my home town of Vancouver years ago.
One of the most respected radio stations, (CFUN) hired a guy named Alan Hassen -- a scot with a thick Glasgow accent.
He was bombastic and controversial, but he actually got good ratings.
His show actually went on for maybe a couple of years 
But if memory serves he went on a trip out of the country and when he returned he was arrested at the airport because he was actually a wanted criminal back in Scotland.

May 28, 2024 7:39 pm  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

But I guess they are prepared to deal with that when it comes.

They're happy to cash his cheques.

May 28, 2024 8:16 pm  #5

Oh, yeah, I guess if his shows are really paid infomercials then they are not really real radio shows.
Just the same, if he says something crazy and gets them into legal trouble that's not good for them.

May 28, 2024 8:18 pm  #6

Someone would have to have heard something he said for them to have any kind of legal trouble. 

May 28, 2024 8:34 pm  #7

newsguy1 wrote:

One of the most respected radio stations, (CFUN) hired a guy named Alan Hassen

The Hot Scot Show

"Back in those days, “my dad started putting billboards out in the city,
and they were quite controversial; in fact, we had to take them down
because one of them ... had a side profile of a shag carpet with the
word ‘shag’ the Warehouse. And shag, of course, had a sexual connotation ... and he was made to take it down. He did anything he could
to bring traffic to the store. There was a famous radio announcer
named Alan Hassen [in the late 1960s] and he had bagpipes, and he
hired him to walk down Granville Street with bagpipes and lead to
996 Homer, where we were having a remote radio broadcast"

https://jewishmuseum.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/TheScribe2013.pdf

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 14, 2024 5:11 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I believe his new morning shift starts on Monday.

On Friday, I tuned him in almost by accident, because there were commercials on the other stations I was really listening to and I was looking for filler until they returned. I actually heard him say he would not only have run for Prime Minister, but he's 100% sure he would have won. The reason he didn't, he told his listener(s), is that he didn't feel he was worthy of the job. But he has no doubt if he had pursued the post, he'd be running the country today. Ego much?

Hoo boy. 

June 14, 2024 5:43 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I believe his new morning shift starts on Monday.

On Friday, I tuned him in almost by accident, because there were commercials on the other stations I was really listening to and I was looking for filler until they returned. I actually heard him say he would not only have run for Prime Minister, but he's 100% sure he would have won. The reason he didn't, he told his listener(s), is that he didn't feel he was worthy of the job. But he has no doubt if he had pursued the post, he'd be running the country today. Ego much?

Hoo boy. 

Canada's own Donald Trump, just sleazier.