sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2024 8:58 am  #1

Watch As A Radio Producer's Nightmare Moment Goes Viral

It happened in England, when the host of a morning show suddenly went AWOL, leaving his very unprepared producer to take over the board and the mic. What happened next has gone viral around the world, as he tries to figure out what to do - all while live on air. I especially love the weird sound effects he accidentally plays during this two minutes+ of audio torture. But what a trooper!

See it here. (If you're not on TikTok, use the play button at the bottom of the video.)

April 17, 2024 9:10 am  #2

Re: Watch As A Radio Producer's Nightmare Moment Goes Viral

I have to give the guy credit - he didn't entirely panic and he even hit the vocal on in his intro to the song he finally figured out how to play. 

The look on the host's face when he returns is also priceless. If ever someone had a stunned "WTF" expression, it's him. 

April 18, 2024 8:09 pm  #3

Re: Watch As A Radio Producer's Nightmare Moment Goes Viral

You never know who's reading this board. I just got an email from an old friend from Wisconsin, who also worked in radio in markets like Cleveland and New York City. But he told me his weirdest experience came in Madison, the town he retired in. And it was something like the guy from England, except my friend was an old on-air radio pro and the British producer didn't appear to have a lot of announcing experience. 

With his permission, here's his tale of woe.

"I recall a time when I working at a news/talk station here in Madison -- WIBA AM...

So, I'm hosting/board-opping, when the sports guy, live on on the air, begins to babble incoherently. I turn to look, and see his eyes roll back in his head, then he collapses to the floor! HOLY SHIT! Panicked, I popped off his mic, hit a spot, and ran over to him, helping him to his feet. I thought he had had a stroke!

Turns out he was just tired, hadn't eaten in a while, but was okay. He gave me his script, and I suddenly became the sports guy! Of course, I was clueless as to what any of his shorthand scribbles meant. Talk about cringe! Before he left he told me: "No one has to know about this, please?" And except for a few confused listeners, no one to this day, ever did. Well, until now. I couldn't tell you the young fellow's name...but the incident is still fresh."