sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2024 3:19 pm  #1

When Is It Fair Use On Radio & When Is It Stealing?

I was tuning around the AM dial on Thursday when I stopped at a station I rarely listen to - Sauga960. What attracted my attention was a familiar voice that didn't seem to belong there. After a few seconds, I realized it was Annie Bergeron-Oliver, one of CTV's Ottawa reporters. 

She was rehashing the federal budget, explaining what was in it. I was surprised to hear it go on and on and on, lasting for nearly two minutes. They in effect aired the entire report. Then host Jack Berkowitz came on to explain what he didn't like about the document. 

A few minutes later, they were at it again. This time, it was a very long report, complete with clips, about cell phones and their effects on children. This one played without identification, until the very end, when they accidentally let it go on too long and a voice came on and said, "Thanks for listening to this NBC podcast." 

So my question: how are they allowed to air this stuff? I'm willing to bet money they didn't have permission from either CTV or NBC to use this material, and even if you argue "fair use," I don't believe you get to run the whole thing. Maybe just an excerpt but not all of it. You also have to give credit of some kind and none was forthcoming. 

I've heard this before while occasionally monitoring 960's morning man Marc Patrone, who also uses other station's clips like crazy. 

What are the rules about lifting a competing broadcaster's material? Are you not supposed to at least provide credit? (As in "He told CTV's Question Period that...") 

I can't imagine John Moore using a clip from Global or AM640 ever running something from CTV's 6PM newscast. Is this legal? How are they getting away with it? Anyone know the actual rules?

April 18, 2024 4:34 pm  #2

Re: When Is It Fair Use On Radio & When Is It Stealing?

No idea on the legality of it all but if you give the appropriate accreditation, I think that goes a long way.

April 18, 2024 4:45 pm  #3

I admit I'm not sure, but I always thought you were allowed to use 30 secs. to a minute excerpt, with credit. But to play the whole thing for over two minutes and not even mention the source? Surely that can't be legal. 

April 18, 2024 6:51 pm  #4

John Moore uses 'copy' all the time from other media companies. He just rephrases it. Why? 1010 has no news dept. Pathetic! 

Last edited by peter (April 18, 2024 6:51 pm)

April 18, 2024 7:00 pm  #5

Using a clip when a public figure says something newsworthy on another outlet is one thing....airing their reporter and their content is another.