sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2024 1:43 pm  #1

Bonnie Tyler Says The "Total Eclipse" Is In Her Heart

It's not just those town in the Path of Totality that are having a bonanza on Monday. Bonnie Tyler, who sang the 1983 hit "Total Eclipse of the Heart," will probably be raking in the royalties as the song returns and gets played on air and online every time there's a celestial event.

But as she notes in the article below, the song almost went to another star. 

Bonnie Tyler Can 'Never Get Tired' of 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' — Even as It Plays on Repeat During an Eclipse

April 8, 2024 1:48 pm  #2

Re: Bonnie Tyler Says The "Total Eclipse" Is In Her Heart

Interesting that the song was originally written for a play about Nosferatu that never quite happened and had a totally different name. It turned up later in a similar themed play called "Dance of the Vampires," according to scribe Jim Steinman, who told Playbill in 2002:

"With 'Total Eclipse of the Heart,' I was trying to come up with a love song and I remembered I actually wrote that to be a vampire love song. Its original title was 'Vampires in Love' because I was working on a musical of `Nosferatu,' the other great vampire story. If anyone listens to the lyrics, they're really like vampire lines. It's all about the darkness, the power of darkness and love's place in dark. And so I figured 'Who's ever going to know; it's Vienna!' And then it was just hard to take it out."