sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2024 7:22 pm  #1

Other Than Mornings, Do Any Toronto Stations Still Have Ops When Live

I know that CBC, CHUM, CHFI have operators for the morning hosts.  I am thinking that Boom does as well for Stu Jeffries.  The talkers like 1010 and 640 would likely have operators all day.  Do any other stations have ops for their live music shows during the day?  CFTR and 1050 CHUM still had operators all day and evening long after many other top 40 rockers gave them up. 

March 31, 2024 7:32 pm  #2

Re: Other Than Mornings, Do Any Toronto Stations Still Have Ops When Live

Stu doesn’t have an op.

March 31, 2024 7:39 pm  #3

Can't answer your immediate question, but the ops at CFTR when I was there in the early 80s were phenomenal.

The jocks generally trusted them with their very on-air lives and they rarely let them down. The duo - jock and op - were like a machine, almost part of the same body. I was very impressed with them, especially given the craziness of what went on in those control rooms - phones ringing, music carts needed to be found and readied, logs to be filled out, the right spots played, news carts in the right order, the jocks asking questions from the announce booths, etc. It could be chaos, but they handled it with aplomb for the most part.

And while some went on to other endeavours - I know one ended up as a long time City TV cameraman - others were hoping to become DJs themselves. 

Some made it, others didn't. But they were maestros on that main control board, led by the great Carl Ramprashad, aka Crazy Carl, who did the Brady In The Morning shift for years. The ops often never got their due, but they were the lifeblood of many places, especially tightly formatted Top 40 stations. I'm sure it was the same at CHUM. 

I'm glad I can publicly give them the recognition they deserve. 

March 31, 2024 7:48 pm  #4

Yes, I always found the ops were invaluable whether it was for a jock or a newsguy like myself.
The public may not have been aware of them, but behind the scenes they were valued colleagues.
They made us sound good and often came up with ideas to make things better.

March 31, 2024 7:48 pm  #5

It's a funny thing. I remember when 680 went all news and Kat Spencer got hired with AM 640.
I called him up and asked "Is there anything different now that you are with AM 640 instead of CFTR?"
His response was "Well I don't have a producer now...".

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2024 8:29 pm  #6

Jazz FM is now voice tracked, and has been for a few months. to me it sounds hollow...I feel the best show has to be the morning show, it is worth investing in.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 31, 2024 9:31 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Stu doesn’t have an op.

That's interesting.  Boom sounds busier on air than most Toronto music stations.  I thought that they may have had ops for one or two of their shows. 

March 31, 2024 10:15 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Stu doesn’t have an op.

That's interesting.  Boom sounds busier on air than most Toronto music stations.  I thought that they may have had ops for one or two of their shows. 

The automation system they use (WideOrbit) is very slick  when set up and programmed properly, which gives Stu time to take and edit calls, which he’s great at.

April 1, 2024 12:08 am  #9

WideOrbit is the industry standard and is the grandchild of the old Scott Studios.  Google owned WideOrbit for a short time and didn't do much with it other than greatly improve the search capability which is obviously important when you need to find a clip quickly.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (April 1, 2024 12:09 am)

April 1, 2024 7:10 pm  #10

Josie Dye has mentioned on Instagram that she's had to relearn how to operate the board to do her new afternoon drive show on CHUM FM. There also seems to be a university intern hovering around in the background at times.