sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2024 11:13 am  #1

Corus Runs Same Contest In Toronto & London, With Different Rules

I'm not entirely sure why this is, but two Corus stations in Ontario are carrying the exact same contest with the exact same name - but each one appears to be running very differently.

AM640 in Toronto has a promotion called The Spring Fling contest, with the prize being a free trip for two to anywhere Porter Airlines flies in North America. CFPL also has a Spring Fling competition, with the winner getting a similar option to board a jet for anywhere Flair Airlines has on its route. 

So far, they sound the same. But Toronto's contest is a little more common than the one CFPL is carrying. 

640's Greg Brady will announce a seat number at 7:10 AM every morning and give listeners a chance at some point to call in and repeat the number in order to qualify. The obvious idea is to keep you tuned in for as long as possible waiting for your cue to call, increasing time spent listening. 

Meanwhile, 980's is far less common. The station is asking listeners to fill out a form on its website and to essentially write them a mini-essay on why they deserve a free trip and some time away. This method is, to put it plainly, baffling to me. While I'm pretty sure Corus does not expect great oratory from its entrants, not everyone is good at expressing themselves in a series of paragraphs, it takes a lot longer to do, no one appears excitedly on air and it doesn't guarantee anyone stays tuned longer. 

You'd think both contests would be conducted in the same way. But both stations, from the same owner, have chosen for some reason to handle them very differently. I think AM640's makes more sense and does far more of what you want a promotion to do - supposedly increase TSL, while engaging the audience.

I'm not sure what they're thinking over at AM980, but it sounds too much like a homework assignment to me. 

A strange way for one company to conduct what is essentially the same contest in two different markets. I wonder why they chose to do it that way. 

March 31, 2024 3:31 pm  #2

Re: Corus Runs Same Contest In Toronto & London, With Different Rules

The only way this makes sense in London is if the website is underperforming in ad revenue or page views or the sponsor is hoping a certain percentage of people will click through and buy a trip.

March 31, 2024 3:45 pm  #3

Re: Corus Runs Same Contest In Toronto & London, With Different Rules

The London version sounds like just about every idea a client has for their promotion. That or “airport trivia questions”.