sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2024 10:45 am  #1

1st Radio-Related April Fool's Joke Appears Online

It's a day early (and some would say a dollar short!) but the first broadcaster out of the gate with an April 1st prank that I've found comes from the online service AccuRadio.

In case you're not familiar with them, AccuRadio is a free independent provider that allows listeners to choose from 1,400 different formats, (ranging from oldies, beautiful music, country, jazz, AC, bluegrass, classical and way too many more) all curated by human input and not algorithms. They also allow you unlimited skips of tunes you may not like or feel like hearing at the moment. 

They regularly do these kinds of leg pulling things every year, but this one is so ridiculous, it's pretty easy to spot. According to the company, they're rolling out a new way to change the music on their site by using your phone or laptop's camera and employing "motion controls." The descriptions get increasingly ridiculous. 

Here are just a few of them:

-Turn volume down by sticking one‘s fingers into one‘s ears for 10-15 seconds. When the volume seems right, simply remove your fingers and give a thumb-and-forefinger “Okay!“ signal to the camera.

-Ban a song from your playlist by staring angrily at the screen and dragging your thumb horizontally from right to left across your throat. Drag your thumb from left to right to ban the artist.

-Skip as many songs as you like by skipping around the room (or at least pretending to). Note that how many skips you take determines how many songs you advance past. 

You can see the rest here. 

AccuRadio.com

March 31, 2024 2:06 pm  #2

Re: 1st Radio-Related April Fool's Joke Appears Online

will definitely check this out RA, sounds fun.

This afternoon I went to YouTube and did a search for April Fools' Day radio pranks, just for my own entertainment, but this one is well executed, and over the top and too good not to share. It's a clip of an Australian radio station disc jockey having a meltdown, swearing and quitting in front of coworkers while live on-air.

Happy Easter weekend and April Fools' Day and please God don't let John Moore returning to MITM tomorrow morning turn out to be a prank!

https://youtu.be/MDmnzcx1Ogw?si=HWVef-3mtuc3UVAM