sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2024 6:42 pm  #1

Ratings for the Junos? Meh, not so much

The Juno's failed to hit the mark on Sunday...and according to Billboard Canada. The numbers were so-so...Keep in mind big names didn't show, (Drake, The Weekend) etc. weren't even bothering to submit for the Juno awards itself.

Billboard writes, "The Juno Awards continue to struggle to reach Canadian viewers.CBC reports that TV, radio and streaming audiences were all up for the 2024 Juno Awards compared to 2023. However, drilling down on reported analytics for the Sunday night telecast, only about 672K people tuned in to watch the show live between 8 and 10 pm ET.Citing data reported by the pubcaster, the awards streamed more than 170,000 times in Canada and globally on CBC's digital and streaming platforms including CBC Gem, more than double the number for last year’s show. On radio, 471K listeners tuned into the broadcast on CBC Radio One and CBC Music, with an average audience of 89,200, up 9% over 2023."

One key thing about demographics was who was watching...it wasn't Gen Z, Millennials but those 55 and over. 

Media reporter Bill Brioux adds, "that while the ratings were up from last year, the majority of viewers were over 55 — not likely the demographic the Juno's are coveting."

I watched for about 10 minutes and felt the award show was borrowing on social/political commentary...which is funny given the turn of events with P-Diddy, can we stop the political social discourse moving forward and celebrate who we all are, rather than shame others for not sharing the same ideals. 

I have never heard of a musician doing negotiations for peace talks or putting new economic policies into play.  Although Bob Geldof sure raised awareness for hunger in Ethiopia. Maybe less calling out and more boots to the ground action is needed.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 28, 2024 7:40 pm  #2

Re: Ratings for the Junos? Meh, not so much

I watched most of the JUNO's this year.  Not a bad show but not great either.  Mind you some of the big stars like The Weeknd and Drake not being there isn't that surprising.  Both also don't usually go to the Grammy's either. 

The program this year was a little too political in my opinion.  Sound and picture quality was excellent.  Nelly Furtado was the main host but there seemed to be two other hosts as well. A nice increase over last year and surprising the number of people who caught the broadcast on CBC 1 and CBC Music. 

I looked at some ratings for the JUNO's from years ago.  In 1982 over 2.1 viewers tuned in on the CBC broadcast.  In 1983, almost 4 million. 

In fairness all music award programs have been taking a beating.  It was nice to see the Grammy's bounce back this year with almost 17 million in the US tuned in.  This was after a few horrible years and less than 10 million.  The best year for the Grammy's was by far 1984 when over 51 million people were watching on CBS and the late John Denver hosting.  

March 28, 2024 8:15 pm  #3

There was a period back in the 80s when I was assigned to cover the Junos for several years in a row.
Back then the awards were held in an ordinary ballroom of the Royal York hotel, or sometimes a place like the Harbor Castle Westin.
Reporters got their own table in the ballroom, and the artists were ushered outside the doors where we scrummed them.
There was no sitting separated in a special room, you simply stood right in front of them on the floor.
I got to interview Carol Pope after she performed a crotch-grabbing rendition of "High School Confidential," and I did an almost one-on-one scrum with kd lang after she won her first Juno for best new artist.
She wore a white wedding dress and cowboy boots if I remember.
As the years went by the Junos became more and more of an elite affair where the media had to have a special interview room, no more scrums, and no surprises.
I miss those earlier days but also understand the show had to progress into a more sophisticated stage production -- and also take place in cities other than Toronto.
One piece of trivia.  At one time it was understood that the Junos got their name for Canadian media executive and politician Pierre Juneau, the first chair of the CRTC.  Not so.
They were called the Junos simply because when they were first handed out it was the month of June.  Simple as that.

March 29, 2024 12:48 am  #4

The Junos need to stop giving away the major awards before the TV broadcast.
Rock Album of the Year, Artist of the Year, Single of the Year, Breakthrough Group of the Year and Songwriter of the Year were presented at an industry function on an earlier night.
At the Grammys those winners would have been Paramore, Miley Cyrus, SZA and Phoebe Bridgers, and Billie Eilish.
Those are big names that wouldn’t have been on TV.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 29, 2024 12:51 am)