sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2024 7:04 am  #1

CRTC May Revoke B.C. Station's Licence Because It's Still Not On Air

This is an unusual story but I suppose it happens. It concerns a Vernon, B.C. online radio station called "Valley FM," which applied for a licence from the CRTC in 2020 and actually managed to get permission to broadcast on 97.9 FM.

The only problem: they don't have a transmitter and with the drop dead deadline for them to be on air rapidly approaching, they don't have the money to buy one or put up a tower. The station has launched a fund raising drive designed to buy the equipment and get ready for the make it-or-break it date when they have to be putting out a signal: Sept. 1, 2024. 

Currently, they have a site, just not the actual equipment. They're hoping to raise $25,000 to get this up and running and they better hurry. I'm not quite clear exactly why they simply can't apply for an extension, as others have done when there are delays. 

I've heard of stations that have had issues with last minute changes to their transmitter locations, but I don't recall a place getting that valued licence with a firm place to put their stick, only to not have the money to afford one. You'd think they might have arranged for this in advance the day they got the OK from the government. 

I suspect the station may be making this into more of an emergency than it is to stress the urgency of getting the money. Will the Commission actually pull the licence if they're not ready? That's not clear, but given the circumstances, my guess is they'll give them more time if they ask. Either way, the clock is ticking. 

Community radio station needs money for transmitter before CRTC licence pulls plug