sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2024 3:28 pm  #1

Bell, Rogers & Telus Tell Gov't. Cttee. Their Prices Are Coming Down

They were forced to testify at a House of Commons Industry Committee, but the heads of the Big 3 telecom companies reluctantly came to Ottawa on Monday and insisted the prices for their services were coming down. 

The heads of Bell, Rogers and Telus insisted consumers are - or soon will be - paying less for their phone and internet services. 

"Some members of the committee say they are concerned about cellphone and internet prices in Canada, arguing Canadians pay too much for those services, but the CEOs cited recent Statistics Canada data showing wireless prices are down 16 per cent in the past year."

They did not, apparently, comment on the fact that even if that's true (and some might find it difficult to believe their claims) their prices were way too high to begin with and that many customers still feel they're being ripped off versus what subscribers are paying in other countries.

The CRTC had insisted one of their main mandates was to insure consumers paid less for these vital services, even as the Big 3 do everything they can to insure there is as little competition from other smaller, cheaper and rapidly vanishing independent companies as possible, including buying them out altogether.

Telecom CEOs appear before federal committee, tell MPs prices are coming down

March 18, 2024 5:21 pm  #2

Re: Bell, Rogers & Telus Tell Gov't. Cttee. Their Prices Are Coming Down

I'm definitely paying less than ever in the "dataplan" era. Not just less per GB -- less overall. Prices have definitely come down, but your bill won't lower itself; you have to shop around.

March 18, 2024 7:02 pm  #3

I live in the US. My carrier is T-Mobile. We pay $70.00/month for 2 numbers. This involves unlimited data and roaming. So when we head to Canada and Orillia for a couple of weeks all data (includes GPS) and roaming are included. Off to Europe same deal. Off to Vietnam next week same deal. just amazed at how much you pay.

March 18, 2024 11:47 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm definitely paying less than ever in the "dataplan" era. Not just less per GB -- less overall. Prices have definitely come down, but your bill won't lower itself; you have to shop around.

It amazes me the number of clueless people out there. 

Actual call to Rogers:  "Lower my rates or I swear to god I will switch to Fido..."

Uh...okay...go ahead!   

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 19, 2024 8:07 am  #5

A couple of months ago, my wife & I switched from Rogers to Koodo (part of Telus) for our mobile service. We were paying nearly $200/month (including taxes) for a shared plan, and now on Koodo, on a month-to-month bring-your-own-device plan, our total is $72/month for unlimited calls and SMS/MMS in Canada, and 10 GB data each at 4G speeds, which is still plenty, as we use wi-fi as much as possible.

One other thing I like that Koodo has and Rogers doesn't, is its included "call control" where non-whitelisted callers have to dial a specific digit to get through to us... blocks pretty much all robocalls, and my wife, with an Ottawa number, was getting a lot of them. With this feature, I might not need to use the "call screen" feature on my current phone, a Google Pixel 6a (with Android 14) that I've had for a couple of weeks now.

March 19, 2024 8:13 am  #6

Good info other than Koodoo is not available in some areas. I have a similar plan with Simply Connect for 80$ per month plus tax for two numbers also. I have had no connection issue anywhere I have been thus far. 

Last edited by mic'em (March 19, 2024 8:14 am)

March 19, 2024 8:48 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Actual call to Rogers:  "Lower my rates or I swear to god I will switch to Fido..."

Uh...okay...go ahead!   

Kinda like years ago, when Future Shop customers would threaten to go to Best Buy... or the other way around. 

Last edited by Forward Power (March 19, 2024 8:48 am)

March 19, 2024 5:07 pm  #8

Forward Power wrote:

Kinda like years ago, when Future Shop customers would threaten to go to Best Buy... or the other way around. 

Yup. That might still be the case today with Winners & Marshall's also, except, at least they admit they're the same company when you apply for one of their Style cards. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 20, 2024 3:10 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.