sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2024 3:24 pm  #1

Are program directors aware that the hosts maybe sound "tired"

I have been meaning to post this for a month now. I have noticed that my go to station for music and to listen to, is sounding "tired" and may be in need of new on air talent.

The thing is, the program director is super tight with the morning show hosts and other on air hosts, so the likelihood of any change is remote. 

Remote is a good segue, as the morning show has no host until 8 am and then, when the host comes on air, it is voice tracked. No weather, or time checks. Although their are traffic checks.

Here is why the sound and listening experience needs a re-fresh...

The closings to 3 of the shows have not changed in over 3 years. If you recall Dennis Miller, used to close out his appearance on SNL with the famous, "I am outta here". On 3 different shows, the closing remarks are the same every day. 

The morning show sounds like a ghost town of late, it lacks excitement, energy and even fun!

It is bland sounding and there is more voice tracking than live to air radio happening.

This is true for some other stations in the city, I find the FAN 590 has changed up it's morning show host 2 or 3 times in the past few years. The morning show used to be the drive home show and the morning show is now the drive home show? To borrow a sports saying, "Who's on Air, no, no, "Who is on First"???

My question is this, are program people too married to who is on air, to change personnel or re-fresh the order of how the shows are delivered and what is said? If the relationships are super tight, is the PD reluctant to make change in the fear of affecting the work/friendship relationship?

As a listener it sounds, tired, confusing, boring and un-inspiring. I wish in some cases the PD or management can institute subtle shifts to make what we hear sound a bit more creative and imaginative.

Comment away.

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (March 17, 2024 3:27 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 17, 2024 3:31 pm  #2

Re: Are program directors aware that the hosts maybe sound "tired"

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

March 17, 2024 3:34 pm  #3

To you as well Radio Aaron, by the way, what do you call an Irishman who stays outside all winter? 

Paddy O'Furniture!!!

March 17, 2024 3:45 pm  #4

I get some of what you are saying, but I can't agree with all of it. For example, I've never been a fan of RB's Jim Richards, who's been on the Toronto airwaves for decades, although I still don't quite know why. Apparently, he has a lot of friends in the biz and some find him entertaining. If you like a host who gets names and titles wrong, makes endless mistakes on air and admits it and isn't up on facts he should know about his guests consistently, then he's your go-to guy!

That's great for him, and I would hate to see anyone lose their jobs. But I just don't get his shtick, which to me is tired after all these years. 

On the other hand (and here's where I may disagree with your point) there is something to be said for my favourite rule of radio, consistency. Sticking with RB, I turn on 1010 in the morning and expect to hear John Moore. If I don't, because he's ill or on vacation, I'm less likely to stay with my dial set on 1010 and perhaps go elsewhere. 

It's the mistake I feel they've made with the never-ending rotating hosts of the afternoon drive show The Rush. If Reshmi Nair is truly gone, as she seems to be, then it's way past time to name a permanent host. (I know some here have commented about the possible legal reasons for not doing so, but how long can they go on with "guest hosts?") You might like the new guy or gal or team that's named or you might not - but at least you'll know what to expect if you tune in. 

Is it Deb Hutton this week? Richard Crouse? Scott Reid? Bob ("no relation") Reid? Someone else? Who is it? No one knows. My limited understanding of programming tells me you give listeners what they expect and if they like it, they'll come back. If they don't know from day-to-day who's in that air chair, they may stick with something more consistent somewhere else. 

I may not love John Oakley, but at least I know he'll there starting at 3 PM every afternoon down the dial. I can't say that about CFRB. So maybe it's not always who a P.D. loves a personality out of friendship, but who they are able to get. 

My two cents. But since they got rid of the penny, you know what that's worth!

March 17, 2024 4:08 pm  #5

What amazes me is one would think ratings would rule the indicator  if a host or show is working or not. Apparently this is not true  a show can be tanking and there is no change, ratings suck then everyone shouts "radio is dead " NO substandard radio should be killed. I run my own biz and if a team member is not performing up to spec  its goodbye . It's a simple concept.

March 17, 2024 4:44 pm  #6

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

To you as well Radio Aaron, by the way, what do you call an Irishman who stays outside all winter? 

Paddy O'Furniture!!!

Don't forget his cousin, Rick O'Shay, who's always bouncing off the walls. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 17, 2024 8:18 pm  #7

Stinand wrote:

What amazes me is one would think ratings would rule the indicator  if a host or show is working or not. Apparently this is not true  a show can be tanking and there is no change, ratings suck then everyone shouts "radio is dead " NO substandard radio should be killed. I run my own biz and if a team member is not performing up to spec  its goodbye . It's a simple concept.

Stinand, that is also something to note both the stations I referred to, have dropped in the ratings, the FAN has and the other station has hit a low point too... 

March 18, 2024 9:34 am  #8

Part of the problem is there’s no one to replace untalented people at the same salary unless you want another untalented person.

Talent costs money, and almost no radio company is willing to increase the budget for an experienced talented person. 

A voice tracked morning show is a sign that quality isn’t the priority anyway.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 18, 2024 9:41 am)

March 18, 2024 9:36 am  #9

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Paddy O'Furniture!!!

Hey Joe, I was through Mattawa recently, I saw your statues there.