sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2024 12:51 pm  #1

Why Are These Radio Ads Still Running?

Over the past week, I've been hearing those Bob & Doug McKenzie ads about getting rid of the 5% beer tax that was due to be imposed across the country on April 1st. They've been running for a while and it appears they've been effective. 

Last week, the feds announced they've reduced the increase from 5% down to just 2 - about the rate of inflation. 

So in effect, the brewers that sponsored this campaign got what they wanted and won.

So why am I still hearing the spots all these days later? Several came on Thursday and another one aired on Friday morning, with the McKenzie Bros. urging Ottawa to not raise the price of suds on April 1st, eh? 

I can't for the life of me figure out why they're running commercials to achieve something they already have. If they still want to spend whatever's left in the budget, perhaps they should be airing a "we did it" celebration campaign to tell listeners it worked. 

I've never heard of an ad campaign that continues on long past the results its sponsors were seeking had been achieved.

March 15, 2024 12:53 pm  #2

Re: Why Are These Radio Ads Still Running?

RadioActive wrote:

I've never heard of an ad campaign that continues on long past the results its sponsors were seeking had been achieved.

I'm getting some pretty strong deja-vu from this post.

March 15, 2024 12:54 pm  #3

March 15, 2024 1:15 pm  #4

You have a much better memory than I do.

But that was the campaign from last year, 2023, and they won then, too. At least this year, they didn't have Rick Moranis on the phone, which was awful. 

But why are they doing it again? Even if the money has already been spent, can't they just do a new self-congratulatory few ads and tell people they no longer have to write to their MPs and demand it be reversed? They could have fun with it, with Bob and Doug hosting a few celebratory rounds. 

Still, the question remains unanswered. Why would you keep running a dated ad like this when you got what you wanted?

March 15, 2024 2:17 pm  #5

And the irony is one of the McKenzie brothers notes the increase was set for April Fools Day, and says they are lucky they ran into the announcer on the street otherwise they (Bob and Doug) would have "looked like real fools."
Well?
BTW this is only March 15th, so are those ads going to run for another two weeks?