sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2024 7:18 am  #1

Why More Original Streaming Shows Are Ending Up On Free TV

Did you watch "Only Murders In The Building" when it aired earlier this year on ABC? You weren't alone. The made-for-streaming show proved so popular for the network that more seasons of it will soon turn up on traditional free TV. 

At first I thought this was just a stop gap measure due to the delay of new programming caused by the writers and actors strikes. But while it's not yet a thing in Canada (where Crave is the main streaming service), it's starting to become the norm in the U.S. and as viewers from afar, we get the benefit. Turns out, there are many more of these coming. 

Over-the-air or cable viewers may not get to see them for a while, but the fact we can even get them at all without paying a dime is a bonus. And while you'd think streamers would want to keep all these great shows to themselves, there are apparently more to come, especially from those services owned by the networks. Why?

“These companies are hemorrhaging money [on streaming],” said Doug Herzog, a veteran cable and broadcast executive. “None of it is working great. That’s the issue. They are trying things out because that’s what they should be doing.”

Why your favorite streaming shows are showing up on old-fashioned TV

March 14, 2024 9:09 am  #2

Re: Why More Original Streaming Shows Are Ending Up On Free TV

I watched the three season of Yellowstone that CBS and Global aired . I wouldn't pay to see any more of them, but will watch if broadcast over  " free " tv. 

March 14, 2024 9:20 am  #3

I think there are a lot of people who feel that way. It would have to be a very good show you can't see anywhere else to prompt people to pay for an entire network that may not have any other shows they really want to watch. I'm still angry that Disney+ gobbled up the rights to the new Doctor Who series. But it's just not enough to make me give that company my money for a subscription. 

(Not to mention I've never forgiven Disney for what they did during the C-Band satellite days, constantly raising the price of both the Disney Channel and ESPN, neither of which I watched but which got mandatory carriage and could not be dropped and had to be paid for regardless. For all of its imaging as the gentle place where Mickey Mouse hangs out at the Magic Kingdom, they are as greedy and ruthless a media company as I've ever seen.)

March 14, 2024 10:38 am  #4

Easy to see why this is necessary since all of the streamers are in the red so much.  But it is odd how all of the major US OTA networks for a while now have been promoting that the show you are watching tonight on NBC, CBS, ABC is available on Peacock, Hulu, or Paramount+ tomorrow.  All of them are running new scripted programs on their streamer the next day. 

Now they are just doing the opposite, original product from the streamer playing at a later date on the OTA network.  However there is a problem here.

While I enjoyed Only Murders In The Building, I didn't like the blurring of lips and censoring of the audio whenever a swear word was spoken.  And on some shows this came up a lot.  It was on later in the evening, and at least CTV could have let the show run with no editing.

Speaking of the Canadian networks, yes they have run programming from their streamers.  CTV recently ran Little Bird which originally was on Crave, CBC has run various programming originally seen on GEM.  CTV2 is currently running The Sopranos (unedited) as is Crave.  Years ago CTV ran LetterKenny unedited after the Super Bowl after the show had become Crave's most popular series. 

March 14, 2024 4:23 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

For all of its imaging as the gentle place where Mickey Mouse hangs out at the Magic Kingdom, they are as greedy and ruthless a media company as I've ever seen.)

And so good at marketing that our very own RCMP once enlisted their services for protecting the RCMP-brand.
https://www.cbc.ca/archives/from-1995-when-disney-moved-to-market-the-mounties-1.4724477