sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2024 2:59 pm  #1

Anyone remember this song and singer?

I am trying to remember a singer from the early 2000s (I feel old saying that šŸ˜„) so that I can find one of her songs on Youtube. I remember the name of the song (ā€œWhere Iā€™m Goingā€, for what itā€™s worth), but there are enough similarly-named songs that the Youtube algorithm canā€™t find it. Same thing from Google when I search the lyrics that I remember, and I even tried singing it at Google šŸ˜„ maybe I just canā€™t sing!

The song is pop/R&B style, if I had to guess, and I *think* the singerā€™s first name is Melanie or Melody; as I said, sheā€™s Canadian, and the song featured some lines from an American rapper (but of course I donā€™t remember who, someone along the lines of Akon or T-Pain, but not them). I probably heard the song on Edge/CFNY or CHUM-FM.

I donā€™t know if this might twig anyoneā€™s memory, but hereā€™s the chorus as near as I can recall:

Iā€™m gonna get to where Iā€™m going
Slowly but surely
Iā€™m gonna get there, when I do
Maybe maybe Iā€™ll see you

Iā€™ll be chuffed if any of you remember this - itā€™s been stuck in my head for days now!

March 11, 2024 3:18 pm  #2

Re: Anyone remember this song and singer?

Based on what you are describing I would guess Melanie Fiona.

March 11, 2024 3:41 pm  #3

No, not her - this song came out between 2000 and 2005, likely about 2002-2003.

March 11, 2024 4:05 pm  #4

Probably "Where I'm Going" by Toronto-based Melanie Durrant (Wikipedia).

Google-Ninja'ing, someone else had a similar "What the heck was that song?" hereĀ and I saw the answer there. Ā  Ā Based on the Wikipedia entry in the paragraph above, the single was 2003 (feat. Common) but the album was 2005.

Last edited by AspectRatio (March 11, 2024 4:07 pm)

March 11, 2024 6:56 pm  #5

YES thatā€™s it, a thousand thanks!