sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2024 6:33 pm  #1

Singer Steve Lawrence Dies At 88

He really only had one big hit on the pop charts - Go Away Little Girl, a #1 Billboard hit in 1963 - but he was on all the variety shows along with his wife Eydie Gormé, and made frequent appearances as a guest on the Carol Burnett Show in the 70s. 

Steve Lawrence has passed away from complications from Alzheimer's disease. (Gormé died in 2013.)

Lawrence was an artist who became increasingly famous in the 60s and beyond, but he never really embraced rock and roll. 

“It didn’t attract me as much,” he told the website Classicbands.com. “I grew up in a time period when music was written by Irving Berlin and Cole Porter and George and Ira Gershwin and Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart and Sammy Cahn and Julie Stein. Those people, I related to what they were writing because it was much more melodic. It as an intelligent lyric that was written. By and large these people were bright, educated or extremely gifted.”

He was 88.

Steve Lawrence, Singer and Actor Who Found His Greatest Fame as Half of Steve and Eydie, Dies at 88

March 7, 2024 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Singer Steve Lawrence Dies At 88

Mike Myers does his Steve Lawrence on SNL.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdIJimk-w8

March 7, 2024 8:12 pm  #3

I remember buying "Footsteps" by him.  Great pop song among others he recorded.

March 7, 2024 9:02 pm  #4

My mother had all their albums and as a kid I grew up listening to them too.
Very talented couple and also as far as I know they were married happily for many years without any scandal I can remember.
In your face Taylor Swift.

March 9, 2024 6:58 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

He really only had one big hit on the pop charts - Go Away Little Girl, a #1 Billboard hit in 1963.

“It didn’t attract me as much,” he told the website Classicbands.com. “I grew up in a time period when music was written by Irving Berlin and Cole Porter and George and Ira Gershwin and Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart and Sammy Cahn and Julie Stein. Those people, I related to what they were writing because it was much more melodic. It as an intelligent lyric that was written. By and large these people were bright, educated or extremely gifted.”

I’ve always considered myself lucky to have grown up straddling two musical eras: pop standards and what became
’modern pop.’ The first two Steve Lawrence songs that grabbed my attention gave us one from each, and in the same
year — 1959. There’ll Be Some Changes Made and Pretty Blue Eyes. Both are on my iPhone and sprinkled liberally on all the various iterations around the house. Lifelong fan. 
In 2003, Lawrence, in his advancing years, kept on chooglin’. He took the songbook given to him by the Chairman of
the Board and released a superb mail-order album called Steve Lawrence Sings Sinatra - A Musical Tribute To The Man And His Music.
If you ever get a chance and are of a mind to, give it a listen. He was in his 60s then, and hadn’t lost a step.

Last edited by mike marshall (March 9, 2024 7:13 pm)