sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2024 5:57 pm  #1

Why Global May Face A Small Simsub Dilemma On Sunday Night

I'm not a simsub fan, but I often get some amusement at the way Canadian stations will go to almost any lengths to be eligible to ensure their network gets priority over an American competitor airing the same show. 

Which brings us to Sunday night and an episode of the Emmy-winning "Abbott Elementary." The show is airing a rare new episode late that night, starting at 10:30 PM. Sure enough, Global has scheduled that same first run showing of the hit sitcom in pattern with ABC. 

Except ABC is hoping it will have a huge lead-in, as it shows the Oscars live from Hollywood. The problem, of course, is that the Oscars almost never end on time (although this one is starting earlier than previous such shows, so it could potentially finish by 10:30.)

But what happens if the Academy Awards predictably runs overtime? 

Does Global wait as long as it takes in order to get simsub on one of over-the-air TV's few big hits to itself in Canada? (The Oscars are airing on rival CTV.) Or do they start it at 10:30 PM, regardless of what's happening over on ABC? 

Not a big deal in the long run, but I'm always curious just how far they'll go - and what they might use to fill the time while waiting - to keep their exclusivity in this country intact. We'll find out Sunday night

Why ‘Abbott Elementary’ Isn’t Airing a New Episode This Week

March 6, 2024 6:04 pm  #2

Re: Why Global May Face A Small Simsub Dilemma On Sunday Night

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a partial episode of Border security.

March 6, 2024 6:08 pm  #3

I was curious about what they're doing on the West Coast, if the Oscars starts at 7 PM Eastern Time, which is 4 o'clock in the afternoon Pacific. According to zap2it.com's listings, the "Abbott" show will air at 7:30 PM in that time zone, with a complete rerun of the Awards show starting again at 8:02 PM on ABC.

How else would you fill three spare hours?

March 6, 2024 6:33 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a partial episode of Border security.

Have they ever actually shown a full episode of that program?

March 6, 2024 6:41 pm  #5

I think I've published this before, but while the Oscars occasionally finish close to time, there's only one case in all of TV history when they actually ended early. It was 1959 and incredibly, the usually bloated Awards show wrapped up 17 minutes sooner than they should have!  

What happened and what did they do to fill it to time?

That was the subject of a great TV Guide article, written by the guy who produced and directed that show. I mean how can you not love a story that includes these lines:

"Why did it run 17 minutes short? I'll tell you why. Because I went to the bathroom, that's why."

If that doesn't make you want to read his tale of TV woe, nothing will!

March 7, 2024 1:03 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not a simsub fan, but I often get some amusement at the way Canadian stations will go to almost any lengths to be eligible to ensure their network gets priority over an American competitor airing the same show. 

Which brings us to Sunday night and an episode of the Emmy-winning "Abbott Elementary." The show is airing a rare new episode late that night, starting at 10:30 PM. Sure enough, Global has scheduled that same first run showing of the hit sitcom in pattern with ABC. 

Except ABC is hoping it will have a huge lead-in, as it shows the Oscars live from Hollywood. The problem, of course, is that the Oscars almost never end on time (although this one is starting earlier than previous such shows, so it could potentially finish by 10:30.)

But what happens if the Academy Awards predictably runs overtime? 

Does Global wait as long as it takes in order to get simsub on one of over-the-air TV's few big hits to itself in Canada? (The Oscars are airing on rival CTV.) Or do they start it at 10:30 PM, regardless of what's happening over on ABC? 

Not a big deal in the long run, but I'm always curious just how far they'll go - and what they might use to fill the time while waiting - to keep their exclusivity in this country intact. We'll find out Sunday night

Why ‘Abbott Elementary’ Isn’t Airing a New Episode This Week

Global has waited before for an American network to start a show they are simsubbing.  One recent show that comes to mind was the premier of The Equalizer, which followed the Super Bowl. I’m guessing that Global will do the same for Abbott Elementary.

March 10, 2024 10:33 pm  #7

As it turns out, this was one of the rare times the Oscars actually ended on time. So Global and ABC both started "Abbott's" special episode at nearly the same time. (Global began the episode at exactly 10:30 PM, while ABC's started two minutes later to make way for local spots. But I'm guessing it wasn't enough of a difference to defeat the simsub.)

I guess we'll never know what they might have done had things gone differently. 

March 11, 2024 12:56 am  #8

Al Pacino did everyone a favour 🤣

March 11, 2024 4:15 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

As it turns out, this was one of the rare times the Oscars actually ended on time. So Global and ABC both started "Abbott's" special episode at nearly the same time. (Global began the episode at exactly 10:30 PM, while ABC's started two minutes later to make way for local spots. But I'm guessing it wasn't enough of a difference to defeat the simsub.)

I guess we'll never know what they might have done had things gone differently. 

All those jokes in the beginning about how they started an hour earlier, but they'll still end later.
They managed to end on time anyway.  That's funny. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 11, 2024 6:45 am  #10

ED1 wrote:

Al Pacino did everyone a favour 🤣

It wasn't my imagination. He skipped the list of nominees for Best Picture, the most important award of the night, and went straight to the winner. Was that planned to save time and get the show off the air on time or did he just lose it? Either way, it was pretty strange. 

March 11, 2024 10:10 am  #11

They showed each best film nominee throughout the show . So no nominee highlights package needed .

March 11, 2024 11:08 am  #12

I would have thought they would have at least read the list of nominees or put list on one of the screen.  They way Al Pacino read out the winner without even saying "The Oscar goes to" and his delivery of the title Oppenheimer, I was watching and was saying to myself what did they win or was he trying to make a joke or something.  It was very anticlimactic and even the audience didn't seem to realize he had called the winner.

March 11, 2024 1:42 pm  #13

Last night it was announced that 10 films had been nominated for best picture and then Al Pacino just announced the winner.  I agree it was confusing, and I didn't know they had been showing the various nominees throughout the broadcast.  Overall I thought it was a good show and most of the reviews for Kimmel as host have been positive.  Also thought the In Memorial segment was poorly handled. 

Here is Bill Brioux's thorough review on last nights broadcast.  From brioux.tv..https://brioux.tv/blog/2024/03/11/jimmy-kimmel-trumps-trump-at-the-94th-annual-oscars/