sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2024 8:43 am  #1

Ronnie King, bassist and co-founder of The Stampeders, dead at 76

As recently as a few weeks ago, the trio was planning on doing a farewell tour before the bassist's health took a "sudden drastic turn", according to the band's drummer, Kim Berly, who announced King's death on their Facebook page.

Berly says the band will carry on with the tour, which "will now, instead, be our tribute to, and celebration of, our beautiful friend and partner."

Stampeders bassist Ronnie King dead at 76; musician co-founded one of Calgary's most successful bands

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

March 6, 2024 9:55 am  #2

Re: Ronnie King, bassist and co-founder of The Stampeders, dead at 76

Sad to see this. I spent a week partying with Ronnie and the then version of the Stampeders when they played a week at a night club in Charlottetown PEI, I believe in 1978 or 79. I had them into the studio and recorded a several hour interview after they finished their gig for the night, and edited the session into a one hour special that the sales department was able to sell the air time for. It got me a 25$ bonus on my next cheque lol. For anyone who doesn't know, the Stampeder's name came from them winning a talent contest and the talent agency who conducted the contest had a sponsor for a record deal under the name The Stampeders. Ronnie told me this during the interview. RIP bud. 

March 6, 2024 11:30 am  #3

Re: Ronnie King, bassist and co-founder of The Stampeders, dead at 76

Saw the Stampeders at the Fall Fair in Orangeville in 1976.  For only three guys they had a big sound and I was struck by how many of their songs I recognized.  The crowd certainly liked them, and I remember Ronnie King being especially friendly and funny during the performance.