sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2024 8:33 pm  #1

Bizarre CJCL Promo Memos You've Never Seen Before

I just got sent these by a friend, who somehow collected them a long time ago. They're fake "memos" that were meant to serve as promos for the old CJCL 1430, back when it was a hybrid music and talk station around 1983. 

As most here know, the format did not last long and ultimately gave way to The Music Of Your Life, before All-Sports entered the picture. As I understand it, these rare bits of random craziness started when the producer of Earl McRae's evening sports show was asked to leave a note for morning man Dave Patrick, so he could refer to what was on the program the night before and also promo what was coming up that day. 

The guy who wrote these decided to make them creative at first and was going to tone them down, when Patrick told him, "You make my mornings!" Uh oh. Now he was stuck delivering it all the time, because he didn't want to disappoint the AM drive host.

They are pretty creative, but also somewhat insane. I received a ton of them, but here are five I picked out that I really liked. Earl McRae was one of Canada's best sportswriters when he ventured into radio. He passed away several years ago from a heart attack while working for the Ottawa Sun. 

I'm not sure what you'll think of these, but for what it's worth, as a slice of Toronto radio history if nothing else, here they are. (Note: the reference to Bruce Jenner was years before he transitioned to Caitlyn.)

March 1, 2024 9:13 am  #2

Re: Bizarre CJCL Promo Memos You've Never Seen Before

Thanks for sharing RA, I found this amusing, made my morning! Scott Metcalfe’s “Journalist of the Year”, very Mad magazine-ish!