sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2024 12:01 pm  #1

Alex Pierson Returning To AM640 On Monday

She made a phone appearance on her own show Friday, her first since her hip replacement surgery. It's only been two weeks and Pierson says she's still in intense pain with a lot of trouble getting used to walking again and getting through the rehab exercises. But she will be broadcasting from home come Monday, with current sub Anthony Furey staying on from Corus Quay as co-host to make sure there are no glitches.

If all goes well, the hope seems to be she'll be back on air alone by Tuesday. 

Her recovery has been made all the more difficult by a tragedy that threw her and her family for a loop. Not long after the operation, they were forced to put their dog, Butter, down. As 5-time dog owner, I almost started to weep at hearing that. Anyone who's had a pet knows that's far more painful than any surgery. My condolences to her on that awful loss in the midst of everything else. 

February 2, 2024 12:15 pm  #2

Re: Alex Pierson Returning To AM640 On Monday

Wow - good for Alex but that is sad about the dog. I've had to put three down in my life, that's enough thank you. If the technology wasn't there I'm sure Alex would be off recuperating for at least another week.

Also - smart of 640 to keep Furey around in case the pain becomes too much and Alex can't finish the show.

February 2, 2024 12:20 pm  #3

Binson Echorec wrote:

Wow - good for Alex but that is sad about the dog. I've had to put three down in my life, that's enough thank you.

A bit - OK, a lot - off topic, but since you seem to love dogs as much as I do, there may one day be reason for hope they can all live longer lives. They need to hurry up this research!

A New Drug That Could Extend Dogs’ Lives Inches Closer to Approval

February 2, 2024 2:34 pm  #4

I like dogs more than I like most people but I'm not sure about this - why prolong a life when we're at the end of it? We need to find a way to extend youth lol.

February 2, 2024 2:56 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Binson Echorec wrote:

Wow - good for Alex but that is sad about the dog. I've had to put three down in my life, that's enough thank you.

A bit - OK, a lot - off topic, but since you seem to love dogs as much as I do, there may one day be reason for hope they can all live longer lives. They need to hurry up this research!

A New Drug That Could Extend Dogs’ Lives Inches Closer to Approval

Sounds like a good talk radio topic, & AM 640 is talk radio, Alex might want to talk about her dog, so I'll grant "a bit" not a lot off topic.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 2, 2024 3:33 pm  #6

Binson Echorec wrote:

I like dogs more than I like most people but I'm not sure about this - why prolong a life when we're at the end of it? We need to find a way to extend youth lol.

That did come up in an interview I heard about this on the radio. The idea is to give it to a dog before he or she develops the typical troubles of old age - eye problems, spinal issues, leg troubles, arthritis, etc. The hope is the medication could either prevent or delay the effects of old age a lot longer, possibly years. It is not meant to keep a dog that is suffering going on forever. 

February 2, 2024 11:05 pm  #7

Alex seems awfully young to be getting hip replacement surgery (this is assuming she was not involved in some kind of car accident). I recall that during her time on the wretched "Sun News Network" she was an avid fan of working out with weights. She's a very tiny woman, in hindsight I do wonder if overdoing it may have taken a toll on her lower body.

I have a family member who really went overboard lifting heavy weights as a teenager (and stupidly not wearing a weight belt) and has spent most of his life now living with constant back pain. Ironically he can no longer even lift a slightly heavy cardboard box any more due to the injury from those early days of doing weights.

Last edited by TomTV (February 2, 2024 11:06 pm)

February 29, 2024 10:09 am  #8

She's been confined to her home studio since early this month, but Leap Year Day sees Alex Pierson getting out of her house for the first time since her hip operation. She was among the walking wounded back at Corus Quay on Thursday, appearing live alongside morning host Greg Brady, still recuperating from his own knee operation. 

She admits it hasn't been an easy time doing her show - sitting for several hours at a time has been tough and she said a tearful farewell to her dog, Butter, just days after her surgery. She says she watched the vet put her pet down via Zoom, because she couldn't be there, but really wanted to say her goodbyes. 

This isn't the first time a personality has had to talk about losing a beloved dog this week. If you missed it, Daily Show host Jon Stewart said a tearful farewell to his 13-year-old best friend on his show Monday night.

Here's a warning for those who haven't seen this - you won't be able to keep from bawling if you decide to watch it. But it's an incredible tribute to an amazing family member and as a five-time dog owner, this one turned me into a puddle.  

February 29, 2024 11:51 am  #9

I saw that a couple of days ago, and it did in fact make me cry!