sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2024 9:59 pm  #1

Will Country Radio Play A Famous Non-Country Artist? The Answer Awaits

It's the last place you'd expect to hear a song by Beyonce - on country radio. But the famous artist has crooned a country tune called "Texas Hold 'Em" that debuted to some surprise the night of the Super Bowl.

And now stations with that format are being forced to decide if she fits on their playlist, even as listeners request the tune. One complained on social media that she called her local country station requesting the song and was told point blank, ‘We do not play Beyoncé on KYKC as we are a country music station.” 

It's never easy breaking new ground, even for a well established artist. 

“You’ve only got a couple of comparables,” [Brian Mansfield, editor of the radio tipsheet Country Insider says.] “One of them was Ray Charles [who had a huge, classic crossover album with ‘Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music’] in 1962. That was one of the few places where the artist who’s (newly) doing country is bigger than the format. So you can’t classify this as carpetbagging, because Beyonce isn’t trying to cross over to country (in whole) — she’s just expanding her kingdom."

Will Country Radio Play Beyoncé’s New Songs? A Superstar’s Surprise Move Will Put Old Rules to the Test

So is Beyonce country enough for country radio? Take a listen and you decide.

February 14, 2024 1:05 am  #2

Re: Will Country Radio Play A Famous Non-Country Artist? The Answer Awaits

This sounds perfect for Country morning shows to talk about and get feedback from their listeners.
Bury it or carry it, Smash or Trash, Like it or Launch it...whatever it's called these days...should the song get regular rotation? Yes or no?  
I don't doubt for a second that morning shows Monday morning were already all over it...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2024 9:55 am  #3

This was a flop

February 14, 2024 10:29 am  #4

I think the song is country enough for country radio however, I wonder if country radio thinks Beyoncé is country enough. I think that could be the real issue.

February 14, 2024 11:25 am  #5

Luckily for Country radio, the decision is rendered easier by the fact that the song is terrible.

I agree with RW - makes for a good bit. That's about it.

February 14, 2024 12:26 pm  #6

If this was a publicity gimmick, it seems to have worked.

Oklahoma Radio Station Plays Beyonce’s New Country Songs After Backlash From Fans

February 28, 2024 6:39 pm  #7

And now a new controversy about Beyoncé’s country crossover hit. Some social media users of a younger demo are insisting it sounds a lot like the theme from a 1997 Canadian TV kids cartoon show called “Franklin.”

That show, which I have no memory of because I was long past cartoons by then, was sung by Bruce Cockburn. It was written by three Canadians.

Do you think they’re right? You can compare the songs at bottom of the article at the link below.

TikTok Thinks Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Sounds Like This Classic Canadian Children’s Show Theme Song

February 28, 2024 8:19 pm  #8

Didn't country radio play the Kid Rock song... Picture with Cheryl Crowe ?

February 29, 2024 1:32 am  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Luckily for Country radio, the decision is rendered easier by the fact that the song is terrible.

It’s also number one on the Billboard Hot Country chart.