sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2024 6:40 pm  #1

Are A.I. Talk Show Callers The Next Thing?

You're doing a talk show and nobody's calling. How do you prime the pump to get people to pick up their phones? How about having an Artificial Intelligence-powered "voice" come on and debate a host on a controversial issue, while waiting for the real thing to follow?

That may be one of the scenarios ahead for talk stations, thanks to emerging new technology. (I wonder if CFXJ, aka 93.5 Today Radio, would be the first to jump on this bandwagon? It strikes me the Stingray station needs all the help it can get.)

Now You Can Use AI to Simulate Listener Audio

February 26, 2024 7:42 pm  #2

Re: Are A.I. Talk Show Callers The Next Thing?

Tell you what people in radio have done throughout history... Get somebody in the office to pose as a caller.
The secretary, or the engineer.
Or for that matter call up a friend and tell them to pretend to be a caller.
Ask them to say something provocative or weird.
That's gone on in radio for as long as I can remember.
Who needs AI?
And if you are worried about ethics, how is using A-I any more or less ethical.

February 26, 2024 7:51 pm  #3

If AI callers didn't say "Yeah, like I was sayin' to your screener, there...", it might be worth it.

February 26, 2024 8:41 pm  #4

Or, "long time listener, first time caller."
Or, "it's a great day for talk radio (ding)"
Or "hello, (insert name of host) how's it going?"
Or, "is that me?"
Or ( "%$#*&^***&^) really bad cell phone reception.
Or "OK David are you ready to solve the Johnny Cash montage?  "Oh I really don't know much about "Johnny Cash."

February 26, 2024 9:54 pm  #5

I have no problem with this whatsoever. As newsguy1 said, some jocks have done this for years by enlisting the services of friends, family or coworkers. While I'm not a fan of AI integration in some aspects of society, this isn't the most shocking application of the technology. Wasn't this concept at the core of Phil Hendrie's show?

February 26, 2024 10:02 pm  #6

Fjiri wrote:

I have no problem with this whatsoever. As newsguy1 said, some jocks have done this for years by enlisting the services of friends, family or coworkers. While I'm not a fan of AI integration in some aspects of society, this isn't the most shocking application of the technology. Wasn't this concept at the core of Phil Hendrie's show?

In case you missed it...Hendrie was on Jim Richards' show in advance of a new doc about him. It turns out he has a number of ties to Toronto.

Phil Hendrie on Jim Richards' Show