sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2024 8:47 am  #1

Incident at Quinte Broadcasting...maybe?

Any thoughts?

Did this ever happen to you or at any station you worked at?

https://twitter.com/darren_fm/status/1761108050193330337

February 24, 2024 10:32 am  #2

Re: Incident at Quinte Broadcasting...maybe?

Sounds fake.  If someone is swearing or yelling at you on air, turn off the mic and get into a song or commercials.  No explaination of who Sean or Darren are.

Saying the f-bomb isn't illegal or something that would get the station in the bad books with the CRTC. The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) could give the station a slap on the wrist and ask for an on air apology.  

Nothing like this ever happened to me, even the many hours broadcasting on location in public. 

February 24, 2024 11:44 am  #3

It's a building largely staffed by local-lifers. Add a toxic character or two, and things boil over.

Yes, the correct thing to do is cut the mic, but there are a couple good reasons for that to have not happened.
-the host is taken completely by surprise and freezes, or
-this has been ongoing and allowed to continue. Allowing it to air might be seen as the only way to be taken seriously.

February 24, 2024 12:01 pm  #4

The twitter (X) comments contain some speculation on the identity of those involved, but nothing is confirmed. 

Never had it happen to me directly, but several years ago, I heard an announcer at a remote in Calgary let go a blistering 20-second burst of profanity after flubbing a line in what I assumed was a pre-recorded cut-in on a Saturday afternoon. The jock on the board was either too distracted to cut it off or simply didn't care and let the whole thing play out. The show continued but there were no further cut-ins aired that afternoon.

February 24, 2024 12:05 pm  #5

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

The twitter (X) comments contain some speculation on the identity of those involved, but nothing is confirmed. 

The yeller is the group PD.

February 24, 2024 9:49 pm  #6

I have a somewhat related story , although a humorous anecdote now, it was a serious event at the time. I was on air in my first DJ position in a small Maritime town. This was around 11.30 pm, the sales manager came staggering in, highly intoxicated, and started berating me about being an outsider from Ontario and that I thought my shit didn't stink etc. I asked him what his problem was and he got in my face and threatened me. I actually had to do a live extro and intro into the next record, he stayed silent during that. As soon as I turned off the mic, he slapped me across the back of my head, I spun around, which pulled the headphone cord out of it's plug in thing, it snapped back and caught him in the right eye. He ran out of the studio and I didn't hear anything from him the rest of shift which ended at 12.05, after reading a newscast and playing the station sign off. I had to change the log tape, do a clean up etc, and crept out into the hallway expecting another confrontation. He was no longer in the building, but there was a small trail of blood drops leading out of the front door to the street. I never heard anything more about it, and never saw him again during my time there. He is likely passed on now. 

Last edited by mic'em (February 24, 2024 9:51 pm)

February 24, 2024 10:28 pm  #7

To me that sounds like it could be the voice of Sean Kelly doing the yelling.
He’s a piece of work if even half of the rumours that have come out of that building over the past few decades are true.
I won’t repeat any of them here because I have never witnessed anything untoward first hand but I have heard various different stories from several people unconnected to each other over the years.
That said, if you’re a young employee, and you flip off your boss, you do so at your own risk.

February 25, 2024 11:22 am  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

That said, if you’re a young employee, and you flip off your boss, you do so at your own risk.

The finger-giver has been there since 1991.

February 25, 2024 1:06 pm  #9

Lorne Brooker?  CJBQ talk show host?  With the date I now recognize that voice.
He probably deserved it then.

February 27, 2024 2:55 am  #10

I’ve been able to piece together what allegedly happened through several sources as well as the audio that aired live on CJBQ and remains available online.
Allegedly, Sean who was about to go on a trip with the station wanted to take a small piece of equipment, possibly a speaker with him. Lorne, who is the promotions director allegedly said no and things allegedly became heated in the hallway and Sean allegedly told Lorne that he was just the talk show host and Sean was the boss.
The following is fact because audio exists of the incident:
Lorne immediately opened the hour on his talk show telling his audience a few times that they were the listeners and he was the talk show host, as he had just been told by the program director, prompting a confused reaction from Ted, the producer of the show, who asked if Lorne had done or said something to prompt that reaction from Sean and noted that Lorne seemed agitated. Lorne asked Ted how his weekend was and Ted answered that Lorne must have been agitated because he was “doing things” to Sean through the window.
Then you can hear the door open loudly. Sean: You f***ing stick a finger in my face like that!” 
Followed by a bang.
Sean: You give me the finger like that all the time!
Lorne: I was joking!
Sean: That’s not joking!
Pause
Ted: Shall we take a break?
Lorne: Sure.
Ted: Alright.
Pause
Commercials begin.
Allegedly a memo went out explaining that it had been settled and Lorne agreed to drop it.
Allegedly, witnesses say they feel an assault took place and that many employees no longer feel that Sean is fit to be the program director but they allege that the owner, Bill Morton is frightened of Sean and lacks the character required to make the change that would be expected at any workplace where employees are respected.
Sean is a city councillor and according to information available online, serves on the board of Family Space Quinte, a daycare “committed to a diverse equitable environment where all feel respected and valued equitability.”  It unclear whether the organization believes that Sean’s alleged actions fit with the organization’s mission statement.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 27, 2024 3:35 am)

February 27, 2024 4:09 am  #11

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Allegedly, witnesses say they feel an assault took place and that many employees no longer feel that Sean is fit to be the program director but they allege that the owner, Bill Morton is frightened of Sean and lacks the character required to make the change that would be expected at any workplace where employees are respected.
Sean is a city councillor and according to information available online, serves on the board of Family Space Quinte, a daycare “committed to a diverse equitable environment where all feel respected and valued equitability.” It unclear whether the organization believes that Sean’s alleged actions fit with the organization’s mission statement.

Very interesting. Thank you for providing some more context to this sound bite, Tomas.

Even if an actual physical assault didn't take place, certain actions can still fall under the definition of workplace violence if an employee feels his or her safety or well-being is threatened, and the owner would have a responsibility to make sure it is dealt with appropriately, regardless of whether or not he's "afraid" of the employee. (Actually, that would be all the more reason to deal with it).

Although I don't know the man personally, Sean Kelly sounds like a bit of a loose cannon if his way of dealing with an unruly employee is to barge into the studio and start dropping f-bombs, no matter how much he was supposedly provoked or whether Lorne Broker supposedly "had it coming" to him.

Although the two parties have agreed to drop the matter, it'll certainly be interesting to see if there's any fallout in regards to Mr. Kelly's actions. Given the fact that other employees feel he is not fit to hold down his position, some more stories may come to surface that may not put him in a very good light.

Even if nothing happens at the station level, this recording might affect his chances at re-election when his term is up.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!